Taxes - H&R Block or go to a "Pro"?

twistedfocus1647545489

This year will be the first time I have ever needed to do anything but a basic 1040EZ and I'm definitely having it done for me. Not for a business or anything, just because I bought a house and will be writing off what I can.

The issue is I have heard from many people one way or another on whether or not H&R Block (or similar places) really do a good job of running down all your deduction possibilities.

Some people I have talked to said they do a great job and found all kinds of stuff that someone doing their own taxes would likely miss, where others insist they could have done as well or better just filing their own taxes and would go to a CPA or something next time. I certainly want to make sure I'm getting this stuff right the first time.

What has been your experience with H&R block and similar companies?

Buy a copy of TurboTax and do it yourself. It's really that easy, and it finds as much or usually more than HR Block.

+a billion

Don't have someone else do your taxes when you can have them printed out of your computer in 1 hour.

Shit give me your information and I will do your taxes for cheaper then H&R block would charge! ^_^

Yeah, I have always done them myself (TurboTax usually or something similar). I'm just worried about it this time around for some reason.

+a billion

Don't have someone else do your taxes when you can have them printed out of your computer in 1 hour.

I took them to H&R when I first bought my house and those people use the same program you buy at Wal-Mart and go through it the same one you would by yourself.It was like they were just reading it for me and collecting $200.00 from me.I was like what the heck I could've done that myself,so I do.I get the insurance so if you are audited they will send somebody to the IRS with you and I have been doing it myself for 6 years now with good results.

I took them to H&R when I first bought my house and those people use the same program you buy at Wal-Mart and go through it the same one you would by yourself.It was like they were just reading it for me and collecting $200.00 from me.I was like what the heck I could've done that myself,so I do.I get the insurance so if you are audited they will send somebody to the IRS with you and I have been doing it myself for 6 years now with good results.

This is why you use quicken or microsoft money to record all of your purchases for the year. Then you have electronic proof of your purchases. Turbo Tax allows importing data from quicken to help do your deductions. Also it helps remind you of upcoming bills.

I still do them by hand. Takes an hour, maybe two and I got investments, house, and crap. Still very easy to do even if your not using the 1040EZ anymore.

Doesn't get complicated until you get a profitable business (meaning simpler self-employed taxes are still very easy.)

I used turbotax for years until my taxes got too complicated due to business. For a person with kids and a house turbotax is just fine.

+1.

Only one house and no business tax filings? TurboTax won't skip a beat...you'll get all the possible write-offs you're eligible for.

I'm starting to feel a bit better about just going with TurboTax. The main thing that concerns me is that my wife cashed in some bonds to pay off school loans last year and I wanted to play with filing together or seprately to see if it's any better one way or the other. I guess I could probably run it through TT both ways before filing to make up my mind.

I'm starting to feel a bit better about just going with TurboTax. The main thing that concerns me is that my wife cashed in some bonds to pay off school loans last year and I wanted to play with filing together or seprately to see if it's any better one way or the other. I guess I could probably run it through TT both ways before filing to make up my mind.

It will probably tell you, actually. I think it will compare the two different ways to give you best option. I'll be trying it this year for filing jointly.

I have a business but do my own taxes. I worked as a tax preparer for 3 years in college. I've completed probably 400 tax returns in my life. If you can follow instructions you can use Turbo Tax Pro yourself, it's really not hard.

do not use H&R Blockheads. they screwed my taxes up 2 times and then i went somewhere else and haven't had a problem. they also said i couldn't write off my work tools since they were too lazy to do it. i was luckey to be able to recoup some of that money the 3rd year though.

do not use H&R Blockheads. they screwed my taxes up 2 times and then i went somewhere else and haven't had a problem. they also said i couldn't write off my work tools since they were too lazy to do it. i was luckey to be able to recoup some of that money the 3rd year though.

Where did you go if you don't mind me asking?

Turbo Tax. H&R Block uses there version of Turbo Tax to do your taxes and charge you crazy prices. Where they get there business is the rapid refund. I noramally file the first week of Feb and have my refund no more than 2 weeks later.