Good ISP?

schmuckingham

I had SBC bu its now att through yahoo...its a mouthful but i like it. I have the cheap dsl and I get decent speeds, plus its a hell of a lot cheaper than time warner and doesnt go out every other week like RR. In fact the only time Ive ever been without service was in the fall when everyone's power went out...and it actually still worked with the laptop then

Just got rid of ATT/SBC/Ameritech/SBC/ATT/The new ATT/ATT Yahoo! DSL service, after 10 years. Went to WoW Internet/Cable/Phone, couldn't be happier. My DSL service would randomly crap out sometimes, and it wasn't because of the wiring in my house. On top of that, even their fastest tier is slower than dog shit.

I <3 WoW.

I haven't had wow so no comment.

My friend has at&t uverse and says he gets very fast speeds but he doesn't have cable tv with them.

I had time warner turbo in my last house off high street. Shit was faster then uverse and I didn't have an outage for over 1.5 years I lived there. I am not counting power outages. Cable tv was fine no issues at all.

I have insight road runner and I had some issues a year ago. They needed to install new wires from my house to the pole but they didn't know that first off. They came out like 5 times while the cable modem was working randomly. Cable tv was not working right either. I bitched enough and they gave me new wire, no bill when service was random, and I got a direct number to one of the managers. Everytime afterwards I had a problem I called him and at 9am someone was outside my house looking at my line. When it works I have no issues. It is fast for downloads but RR turbo is better. HD tv is great but the DVR box is slow. Sometimes lag is 10-20 seconds between button pressing.

I had time warner cable in gahanna when I live there. It went down once that I know of for more then 3 years. The power went out more in gahanna then anything else. It was faster then insight I have right now.

WOW = pissing me off since two weeks ago. I'm looking into an alternative because their customer service blows, their supervisors are morons, and their billing department fails consistently to remove their heads from their respective asses.

Two weeks of hell completely wiped out their five years of good service. Fuck them.

WOW = pissing me off since two weeks ago. I'm looking into an alternative because their customer service blows, their supervisors are morons, and their billing department fails consistently to remove their heads from their respective asses.

Two weeks of hell completely wiped out their five years of good service. Fuck them.

I've got WOW too and think their company has some of the best customer service I have dealt with. I've actually had reps give me credits for no reason even if I call in to add HD service. (I've been in customer service/sales for the past 15 yrs). Suprised you had such a hard time with them.

WOW uses different, much faster, software, but they still use SA boxes.

We have WOW DVR. Hard drive is relatively small. We run into storage issues pretty often. We record a moderate amount, but 1/2 of it's in HD which is 1/2 of the 'problem'. I really need to figure out whether this box is one you can do an external hard drive with. Have any idea about that?

The interface isn't nice looking, but it works. Never had a problem with it.

We have the 8MB down, whatever up. We do lots of streaming and get good speeds. Usually get full resolution on the 360 using Netflix.

We have WOW DVR. Hard drive is relatively small. We run into storage issues pretty often. We record a moderate amount, but 1/2 of it's in HD which is 1/2 of the 'problem'. I really need to figure out whether this box is one you can do an external hard drive with. Have any idea about that?

We have the 8MB down, whatever up. We do lots of streaming and get good speeds. Usually get full resolution on the 360 using Netflix.

My 8300 HD has an eSATA port on that back, and from what I remember Cisco said that it does external storage.

My 8300 HD has an eSATA port on that back, and from what I remember Cisco said that it does external storage.

Yup, I saw the eSATA port on the back when I was rearranging everything the other day. But from what I understand the SW (cable company specific?) still has to be able to use the external HD... not sure about that.

I just looked it up and I have the same one, at least by looks. Not at home so I can't check it.

FYI for anyone thinking about UVerse and will get HD, they compress the fuck out of their HD channels. Everyone does but they are the worst offenders.

I have noticed a slight degradation from my Insight HD service to the Uverse. Not so much that I really notice too much, or care. The picture is still gorgeous. When VDSL2.0 becomes the standard most profiles will be switched from 19-25Mbps profiles to around 40-50Mbps, allowing for better compression techniques and higher web speeds. Ofcourse, Im sure cable will continue its DOCSIS 3 rollout so, I say go with who ever gets you the best Mbps price.

HD tv is great but the DVR box is slow. Sometimes lag is 10-20 seconds between button pressing.

OMG, I get so pissed about this. I want to switch to something else soooo bad, and only because of the damn lag on the dvr box. However, my ONLY options are DirecTV and Dish. I'm not sure it's worth the switch.

Why haven't you PM'ed me about this?

how is WOW's DVR software? We have Insight and their DVR box always locks up. Looking to possibly switch.

Let me know, I can hook you up with a good deal.

Uverse if available. Im on the 10Mb service now, and may be upgrading to the 18Mb. Consistently seeing over 97% of the advertised speed.

Or go with WOW, and get over 100% of the advertised speed.....

If it is an 8300 box, you are good to go. Just add an external hard drive. I've seen several customers use this, and it works very well.

If you want to bump up to the 15Mbps package (we have one with 1Mbps up like you have now, and another with 2Mbps up) just let me know.

I have spent a LOT of time with both Warner's and WOW's DVR boxes, and the WOW software is much better. Quicker, easier to navigate, actually has 4x fast forwards/rewind.