Stuck cars thread........which ones did you see?

Aaron

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do you put your snow tires on in December or what? Don't they have such a soft compound that they wear extremely quick on the pavement? Or do you slap em on when it snows only?

I don't have the money to buy snow tires, and get summer tires.

Last year I put them on in October, a bit early, but I was tight on time and wanted to get them on there. Next year I'll likely wait until late Nov. Depends on the temps and weather outlook. I pull them off in early march.

They don't wear that badly on dry pavement. Depends on which Blizzaks you get. The LM-25's are a performance tire and don't have the dual compound like the WS-60's which do wear faster. Hell, they even spray compound on the side of car.

Key is to take it easy on them. No hard launches or rough cornering on dry roads. Being kind to them will extend the life.

IMO, just start saving for them now and do it next year. If you've made it this far on what you have, you might be able to wait. However, next year, you'll wish you had them earlier :)

45 degrees F is where summer compounds start to get too hard. So when the tempd dip consistently into the 40s is when I swap. This is usually in November. Though I always have them on by Thanksgiving because I drive to MA to visit family which takes me through either the snowbelt or PA's mountains.

But they wear just fine. It's when the temps hit 50+ that snow tires will wear excessively. As for affordability, look at it this way: When the snows are on, you're not wearing out your summers, and vice-versa. You will extend the life of both sets by switching back and forth.

As for affordability, look at it this way: When the snows are on, you're not wearing out your summers, and vice-versa. You will extend the life of both sets by switching back and forth.

Exactly....and in my case, the snows are cheaper cost wise and last longer than my stock summer tires.