Phone calls about "Expired Car Warrany" - anybody else?

spankis

So, for the past probably 2 or 3 months it seems like I get these calls on my cellphone. They're always from some random not local area code. I believe today's was 501 area code, but usually it's 704 I think ( not 740 ). For what it's worth my service is through Verizon.

Anyway, the call is always a recorded message telling me my car's warranty has expired, how i'm susceptible, blah blah blah. My car and previous cars have been used, with no warranty at all.

The prompts are 2 - to be removed from the call list and 1 - to speak to a representative. Well, I initially just had myself removed from the list by choosing "2", but I got called again, so I hit 2 again. I got called yet again last week, and I chose "1" to speak to a real person and bitch at them a lot. It rang and rang and I gave up after a couple minutes. I've kept getting these calls but usually i just don't answer if it's a crazy number, or i just hang up instantly.

Today, however, I got called again and I chose to speak to a person. They answered and happily asked if "i'd like to extend my warranty coverage or start a new policy". I said "No, I'd like you to not call me ever again, and choosing your option 2 to remove me from the list hasn't change anything." Well, I at least started to say that. I probably got to about "No, I'd like you to not call - " and then I was promptly disconnected.

....how awesome.

Calling the number back results in a "call cannot be completed" message, as you'd expect. Google tells me that other people are dealing with the same shit, and it's pretty much entirely a scam:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/09/expired-car-warranty-calls-have-several-states-pissed-too/

Anybody else as lucky as me?

I don't answer my phone if I don't know the number. You can leave a voice mail if it is important.

I'd like to do that, but I occasionally get calls from out of state branches for work. I prefer not to ignore them, so I'm stuck.

If you have the time, ring them back. Talk about the weather, stock market, your penchant for buggery, you know - whatever.

Tie them up in that crap and they will realize they aren't making any money off of you.

Tried that too, the numbers are apparently randomly generated and difficult to trace from what I've read. The call won't go through if you call back.

yup i get them all the time.

answer next time and when they start talking about your warranty, ask what car it is for. they hem and haw and wont be able to answer the question.

when i asked, the dude hung up on me :rolleyes:

This is exactly what I do when I get the calls. They'll tell you that you need to provide the VIN for the vehicle. That's when you pin them down, "You called me and told me my warranty was going to expire, and you don't even know which vehicle you're calling about?!" Its entertainment when you're bored or a bright spot when you're angry.

i've been getting them for awhile now on my verizon and my nextel. i just send it to a representitive and when they get on i ask to be put back on hold because i was really enjoying the music. they normally reply with "no problem sir and have a nice day". so whoever is around me at the time they get a kick out of me doing it so i guess its worth a laugh.