Wife is thinking about getting into auto x

V8 Beast

Really you might want to think about another car. The Stratus will be ok for just getting started, but I think she will outgrow it quickly. She really should also take the school at the beginning of the season, the instructors tell you how to read the cones and what lines to take in a given situation. On top of that, you get a shitload of runs.

1) Just have her come drive the car first.

2) If she loves the sport, maybe a spare set of wheels with good tires.

3) If she really loves the sport, look for a car she likes that is competitive in it's class.

4) Refer back to #1

5) Refer back to #2

6) You'll have enough experience to look at additional mods.

7) Pick the brains of your fellow competitors runnign the same car.

But as previously stated, come to a school. I do recommend you drive an event or two prior to the school if possible. Then you don't spend the first part of the school learning the basic concept of "autocrossing". Come see any of the CR folks and we'll help her walk throught the first event or two.

Tell her to get back in the kitchen ;-)

I lol'd.

I know the stratus is not the best car, but its a beginner thing. We were actually talking about what car she was going to get next year and the auto cross thing came up. I didnt know there was a class, thanks guys! I'll have to take her and learn a few things myself while I'm at it.

Tell her to get back in the kitchen ;-)

wow...next time you get walked by a girl you can make dinner!

But anyways...This is really nice to see! I will be great to see have another woman there on race day! I have done two events thus far and really love the sport, I am planning on doing the driver school this summer, I know some of the experienced drivers who even do the school just as a refresher! Everyone is super nice and very helpful! hopefully she enjoys it and we see her out this summer! :)

Remember 3 things...

1. Walk the track several times. Do the best you can to learn it before driving it.

2. Look ahead. Don't look at where you're going into a corner, look at where you want the car to be when you come out, and just put it there. Sounds odd, but its instinctive.

3. Slow is fast. The harder you try to drive fast, the more flamboyant and out of control you get, your lines turn into garbage, and you get nothing but disappointed. Drive smooth and follow good lines, and you will get results.

The Stratus will do fine for starting. Like Craig mentions don't invest any money until you know she's genuinely interested in the sport. The drivers school in the spring is the best bet to get in some good seat time and have some instruction.

People like Craig, myself, Rich(31Rx7) and some others are novice instructors and can are usually more than willing to help, just ask.

Wouldn't that put her in a class she doesn't stand a chance in? Like XP with the V8 RX-7's and the Subaru Hybrids?

I've heard from many that it's a great class to start in because the field is "even". I mean slow car vs slow car comes down to driver and you learn better that way.