Digital Camera recommendation

mrblunt

I've been several forums and reviews searching for a replacement to our Pani DMC-Lz5. We've been having issues with the Panasonic just providing terrible images even on stills. Its very frustrating for my wife who then makes my life difficult as a result. She's not going to take the time to read the manual and learn the different settings so I need something that easy to operate and is a solid performer for taking indoor and outdoor shots of our girls. I know the limitations of a point and shoot vs a DSLR.

I've read several reviews on DPreview and I'm looking to stay under the 300 dollar tag b/c I can get a used DSLR in that price range. I had a Digital Rebel and ended up selling it b/c I don't have the time to learn how to use it properly and my wife hated the bulkiness. I've heard great things about the S5 IS but I'm a little concerned with its size, and all others in that super zoom field. I do like the fact that I can purchase other lenses without the need to upgrade to a different body. I also read the latest dpreview that put the SD880 IS & f100fd at pretty much equals in the compact field and they are attractively priced new.

This guy rates the 880 IS as a pretty amazing point and shoot which has kind of swayed me I'll admit - http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/sd880.htm

Given what I've laid out, do you think it would be worth looking at the S5(or even sx10) or should I keep it simple and go with the smaller point and shoots? Both options can be had for the 200 - 250 dollar range so they meet that requirement. Or is there something better that I should check out? At this point i'm really tired of reading reviews and would love some first hand experiences. Thanks.

Well the good thing is you seem to be looking at Canon's. I have the Powershot S3 and love it. The pictures it takes are just amazing. I will admit is its a little bulky, but you are going to have that with a good point and shoot. I know when I replace this, it will be with another S series canon or the Rebel.

ive got an S5 IS, and i love it. even for an amatuer like me, ive gotten some pretty cool/decent shots with the auto settings. cant wait to learn to actually use it correctly

This is the response I'm looking for. First hand experience on one of the models I've sorta narrowed it down to. I like the fact I can add lenses to this camera and although its not a DSLR replacement it definitely is more flexible than the other two (at the expense of a larger camera).

Anyone else have anything else to weigh in on? I just want to make a good decision and ultimately want something that just takes crisp images that I can post process into something nice.

This is the response I'm looking for. First hand experience on one of the models I've sorta narrowed it down to. I like the fact I can add lenses to this camera and although its not a DSLR replacement it definitely is more flexible than the other two (at the expense of a larger camera).

Anyone else have anything else to weigh in on? I just want to make a good decision and ultimately want something that just takes crisp images that I can post process into something nice.

The new Panasonics are light years ahead of the old. The sensors and image processing engines have come a long way and if you've read and seen the reviews on dpreview around Christmas, you'll see they are placing some of the best products out there. Fuji also has some really nice stuff.

IMO, get a $150-$200 Panny and go get your DSLR back.....I'll show you how to use it in 1-2 sittings.

Keep an eye on Craig's List. I review it every day. Tons of good deals out there on relatively new cameras. Thank the Economy for that.