Yank the wheels with Ford parts? *sigh*

MrMeanGreen

I just bit the bullet and bought a Ford 8.8 rear end fabricated for an F-Body. All it needs is the torque arm mounts since it was set up for a four-link, but arrangements have been made for the fabrication already.

Here's the deal....

I bought a car recently with this rear in it. The car drives very nicely with this rear and it looks to be fabricated very well. However, I am de-modding the car so a stock rear is going back into it.

The rear end is a Ford 8.8 unit that has been fabricated with 4th generation GM F-body mounting bracketry. The rear is the exact same width as a stock 10-bolt. The spring perches, shock mounts, and backing plate flanges are GM components. GM axle tubes were welded AND SLEEVED onto the Ford differential. A jig was used to ensure axle tube straitness. The idea was to have a strong rear to replace the 10 bolt without having to spend a ton of money.

Although this rear will bolt into any 4th gen Camaro/Firebird, it does NOT have a torque arm mount. As it sits, it is set similar to a 4-link. It does accept a stock-style F-body swaybar.

Here are the details:

-Ford 8.8 rear differential housing

-Ford Racing posi unit (new)

-Ford Racing 3.73 gears

-MAC aluminum rear cover w/studs

-Conversion U-joint with 8.8 style yoke (can use your stock driveshaft)

-GM axles

-no backing plates (will need to reuse your backing plates)

-GM spring perches, shock mounts, and backing plate mounting flanges

-ARP long studs in axle flanges

The rear end will be sold AS-IS. I'd prefer to sell it to someone with some fabrication experience or person that knows someone with fabrication experience.

I do not know anything about the rear other than these things:

1. It is in my car running and driving well (1994 Z28)

2. No ABS or TCS

3. The rear does not leak any fluids

4. The rear is quiet with no gear noise (had it up to 80mph)

5. There are no vibrations or any strange sounds

6. No torque arm mount on the rear

7. No cracks in the welds

There are about 10-15 (maybe more?) guys on this site that are successfully using an 8.8 in their F-body. These rear ends have proven to be very strong and quiet. I *think* that quite a few Mustangs run into the 9's with these rears.

Here are a few pics of the rear currently in my car:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29925304@N03/3287716343/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29925304@N03/3287715809/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29925304@N03/3288533380/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29925304@N03/3288532816/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29925304@N03/3288532250/

With this and my new suspension/chassis upgrades sitting upstairs, I think it will be a fun year with traction. I'm going to swap my four channel axles in to keep my ABS and TCS. Now I can finally run a two-step and/or trans-brake. Yay!

The gf and I are making a trip to New York Friday evening or Saturday morning, I have room for one more if someone wants to go see some interesting sights.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed

gm spline are not the same as the 8.8 so, what diff is in it?

and how is he driving it with no torque arm?

this dont make sense

looks likt the studs on that gridle cover are rubbing the lower cross bar

and the stock 8.8 center is not that strong...ask tyler, he spit he spider gears out and the track day!

this is more of a PITA then a deal.

Guest 614Streets

"The idea was to have a strong rear to replace the 10 bolt without having to spend a ton of money."

Nice Anthony hopefully this piece works good! Different thats for sure.

Guest 614Streets
gl on the custom torque arm mount.

just buy a used 9" and be done with it.

and now that they have went and rewelded tube and shit, this will all be bad with high hp....

Don't want to hijack but whats the story on welding tubes to centerhousings. I had mine done at Grashels , they quench that right? I read about that when I used to buy mags in the 90's.

Also rob isn't it two different types of metal between the tube vs the center?

Guest Removed
Don't want to hijack but whats the story on welding tubes to centerhousings. I had mine done at Grashels , they quench that right? I read about that when I used to buy mags in the 90's.

Also rob isn't it two different types of metal between the tube vs the center?

well welding the tubes to the center section on a 8.8 is nothing new.

the center itself is cast, and the tubes are rolled steel. you have to heat the ends of the housing, after you jig it up. and weld them up while there hot. they do it cause the tubes spin in the housing because they are pressed.either way...there are cars running 8's and even 7's with these housings. but the tubes still bend forward on them due to a lack of bracing!

but unless the the axles are resplined or the gears are changed in the diff, i dont see how it works. and how are they fabbing the torque arm to the cast housing? thats the stuff i wanna know.

It's a common hybrid unit, I'll ask about the axles when the guy calls me today. He's a very well respected member of CZ28.com and LS1Tech, and I've known him for years.

The torque arm mounts are being welded on, just like on other 8.8s and 9" housings.

Guest Removed

but if you look at the brackets on a 9", they come off the housing not the center section.

im sure it can be done if done correctly. welding stuff to the cast center section of the 8.8 can be tricky.

i would say with all the work this is a good upgrade. i saw someone on here put a torque arm setup on a 90 vette. so the right welder can put the brackets on the diff case. this is a great deal because ant is not gonna let me or joe jack off try and weld to his new found backbone. i just had my tubes welded on my 8.8 im building and it worked out nice. being a 8.8 there is the spot on the case where you can bolt up braces. i would say someone could make a torque arm bracket that welds to the tube and bolts there so that you could bolt a torque arm onto it. imao its a good buy.

Some of you seem to double as drag racing posers.

I've talked to a few KNOWLEDGEABLE people on both sides of the GM/Ford fence, I'm good to go.

Ben, are you stupid? Now I see why you have a bike instead of a fast car.

Just because I bought a Ford rear end doesn't mean that you had too. What about fastest 10 bolt?