Internet phone question

max power

I am trying to get off the AT&T teet and cant seem to get a good answer on this question.

With internet phone (Insight specifically) will my fax machine work? It is the only reason I still have a landline as I only get BS phone calls on it and my whole family has cell phones. Insights call center monkeys say it will, but I dont trust them.

Anyone have hands on experience?

Yes it will work. My parents have a fax machine setup on a digital phone line from time warner. Carriers make no distinction between a fax machine and a regular phone, they do the same kind of stuff on the carriers' lines.

Yes it will work. My parents have a fax machine setup on a digital phone line from time warner. Carriers make no distinction between a fax machine and a regular phone, they do the same kind of stuff on the carriers' lines.

I'm not so sure about that...my 'rents have AT&T UVerse which switches your lines over to VOIP so that it is all tied into your internet connection, but for some reason they had to keep a normal line for the fax machine.

I would say call Insight and ask them specifically if it is supported and how it would be setup. The other thing I've heard about getting phone service from the cable company is that call quality can vary greatly based on which modem they give you and how much web browsing / downloading is going on while you are on the phone. The other thing to remember is that if your power goes out, so does your phone unless your modem has a backup battery.

I've had Vonage for my home phone and fax line for 4 years now. Fax line gets heavy usage as it is for business. Never had an issue. Not to mention that approximately 75% of all large business (corporate America) has been running VOIP for their main lines and fax lines for quite some time now.

• 2 weeks later...