HEATED SPACE AVAILABLE SATURDAY

Doc1647545523

Is the temp controlled? Or do you turn it on when you get there?

This is a bit out of my way, but I would be more than willing to make the trip to rent a decent area for minor car repairs in the winter. I am sure others would as well...

KillJoy

There are thermostats at each end of the garage. The heaters are gas-fired reflective overhead units that do a good job--you don't lose all your heat when the door opens. It's kept at 50 degrees when I'm out of town and 60-65 when I'm around. Any warmer is really too warm for me to work in. The overhead lights are mercury vapor and two walls are glass block, so it's very bright in the day. I also have four portable halogen lights. I've got just basic tools, no electronic stuff, no air tools but do have an air compressor. There's hot and cold water in a slop sink, indoor and outdoor hoses, heated restrooms. Most importantly, I have a loud stereo. ;)

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/new%20playhouse/from105door.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/new%20playhouse/towardsglasswall.jpg

I plan to have an open house with music and food provided, and of course CR will all be invited. This will be sometime in late March or early April, whenever the weather breaks, and will likely be on a Saturday from 4 p.m. until 8 or 9. I spoke with Anthony and with Brian and they said it would be okay to post the event here. There's a large well-lit parking lot if a big group shows up, and a place indoors to eat if it's windy.

I will watch the weather and post here 3-4 days in advance. I've also got a few surprises that I think folks will like. ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this where you store the TVs and DVD players you hijack from tractor trailers by surrounding it with 3 honda civics with green neon lights?

Coincidence you should bring that up. I've been meaning to talk to you about helping me make a sequel to those movies. Of course, I would play the Paul Walker part. We'll use Cobalts instead of Civics. It'll be called The Slow and the Spurious

Coincidence you should bring that up. I've been meaning to talk to you about helping me make a sequel to those movies. Of course, I would play the Paul Walker part. We'll use Cobalts instead of Civics. It'll be called The Slow and the Spurious

You playing Paul Walker is like me playing Vin Diesel. Complete opposites. :p

Edited by ForeverMaker
typo

Open house sounds sweet. Maybe we can do some coordinated parking for some nice pics too if the parking lot lighting isnt too bad?

Great idea. There's plenty of parking lot and it should be empty on a Saturday. If everyone who has tentatively agreed to come actually shows up, I promise there will be some cars there that you'll probably have never seen except in photos. Weather will be the key issue. Since it is impossible to predict very far in advance, I'll probably not post a date until the Wednesday before. Even at that, it will need to be subject to change due to weather, because most of us aren't excited about shining up our cars just to drive them in the rain and then stand around in the cold slop.

The ideal would be for this to be on one of the first really nice, warm Satudays in the spring..... one of those days we'd all be cleaning our cars and driving around anyway. Just add music, free food, handy restrooms, and some unusual cars, and subtract parking lot security--what's not to like? :)

More information to come in the next 3-5 weeks. Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to help; I might be calling you and taking you up on your offers. Er, except for Wonderboy--you, sir, need to remain fully clothed for the duration of the event!

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to help; I might be calling you and taking you up on your offers.

I volunteer to assist in driving any vehicle that is faster than mine. It is a Grand Am.

:(

Selling your toy for your family's benefit sucks.

:(

KillJoy

PS - I promis to eat free foo, listen to music and possibly comsume beverages of the adult variety. ;)

Doc, I'm looking forward to this. May finally get to meet some of the people that I BS my time away with. This will be on a weekend, correct?

Yessir. Very likely a Saturday, beginning at 3 or 4 and running at least until 8 p.m. A number of folks work on Saturday and can't leave until 5 p.m., whereas some members have smaller children they want to bring and would rather do something earlier in the day so that they can be home before dark.

If the weather boxes us in, I could see possibly moving things to a Friday or a Sunday, but Saturday seems to be better for most.

I'm sure someone will be inadvertently excluded by whatever date we choose, but I don't know any other way to plan a weather-dependent event such as this. In that way, it's like our track days. But I hope that we get beautiful weather and that everyone finds it worth the little extra distance (I'm 13 miles northwest of Polaris).