97 z71 5.7 missing

99ta

The truck is missing a cruising speeds. changed plugs, wire, cap, button, and fuel filter. pump is only about 3 years old. any ideas? no check engine light. idles fine. i guess the next step is to replace the pump? Thanks

Eric

Guest Removed

how bad is the miss?

you can use brake clean and go over the intake gaskets too see if you can find a leak. if no leak i would suspect a injector/nozzle issue. you could try omhing the injector's out(easy to do thru the top connector) but if the nozzles are clogged that wont show it.

checking the fp and the intake gaskets would be your best bet to start with.

Guest Removed
its not bad but I can def feel it while cruising. not so much during acceleration. I will try a new injector to see if that fixes it. thanks rob.

theres 8 of them..which one you going to try?

or does that have the one big one in it?

also, when you take the top off, and if you see fuel just sitting in there, the regulator is leaking. and it will need replaced.

I've seen catalitic converters clog up and cause something like your description, but I've also seen that spider injection crap screw up too. Start with what Gearhead said.

wouldn't the cat issues cause a code?

Guest Removed
ok. fuel pressure is 55. no leak from the intake gasket. this is so frustrating.....

FAIL!

FUEL PRESSURE SPECIFICATIONS

Ignition On, Engine Off

Central FI 415 - 455 kPa (60 - 66 psi)

SFI 385 - 430 kPa (56 - 62 psi)

Edited by Removed

wouldn't the cat issues cause a code?

prabably not, clogged cats could cause a code like a p0300 if it's bad enough, but usually catalist deficency doesn't go along with clogged cats. I'd look harder at your fuel issue first.

I had the same issue with my truck did all the crap you described above to no avail...Ended up pulling out the distributor and the gear was worn razor sharp. I got a new replacement gear from napa and installed it and the miss went away. The only glitch was i had to have a scanner to reset the timing because aparently these engine are pretty picky about where the distributor is set. Hope this helps.

Guest Removed
I had the same issue with my truck did all the crap you described above to no avail...Ended up pulling out the distributor and the gear was worn razor sharp. I got a new replacement gear from napa and installed it and the miss went away. The only glitch was i had to have a scanner to reset the timing because aparently these engine are pretty picky about where the distributor is set. Hope this helps.

come to think about it, i have came across that a few times on those..

you could watch the timing jump around on the scan tool...

Edited by Removed

thanks for the help. I changed the fuel pump today and I think I fixed it. only dorve it about 10 mins so we will see when i drive it more. thanks for all your help and I will post up for sure when I get to drive it more.

Guest Removed
need a scan tool to get the timing just right. you have to watch the numbers on the scanner to know where 0 is. you can come close dropping it back in at the mark. did you line it up before you pulled it out?