I think I avoided a mugging (or worse)

Nitrousbird

I posted on Craigslist, looking for a used, bare bones PS3. My price was $200.

Guy e-mails me today, offering his 20GB unit for $175. This should have been my first clue.

I e-mail back, saying I'm interested w/ my phone number. He calls me on a restricted number. He acts like I know who he is, which I didn't until he mentioned PS3. His speech was a bit...ghetto. That doesn't bother me on its own, but adds to the whole situation.

Wanted to meet at the Vineyard near Westerville Rd. in 30-45 minutes, and he would call me then. Never leaves his number, description of what he would be driving, etc. He seemed very rushed on the phone. I agreed, but after thinking for a few minutes, this seemed like a bad idea. I e-mailed him asking for his phone number so I could call him when I got there, with no response back. I never gave him any description of myself or my vehicle.

Well, it's exactly an hour later, and no call from him. The apartment complex next to there houses a few shaddy characters (and plenty of good people too, it's a mixed bag). I think I made a damn good choice!

1.5 hours, still no calls. I could be laying in a puddle of my own blood right now, or someone could be pimping my Avalanche, pissed that they are too fucking stupid to use my head unit, and if they did figure it out, pissed that I don't have any rap music on my iPod.

Guest 614Streets
I posted on Craigslist, looking for a used, bare bones PS3. My price was $200.

Guy e-mails me today, offering his 20GB unit for $175. This should have been my first clue.

I e-mail back, saying I'm interested w/ my phone number. He calls me on a restricted number. He acts like I know who he is, which I didn't until he mentioned PS3. His speech was a bit...ghetto. That doesn't bother me on its own, but adds to the whole situation.

Wanted to meet at the Vineyard near Westerville Rd. in 30-45 minutes, and he would call me then. Never leaves his number, description of what he would be driving, etc. He seemed very rushed on the phone. I agreed, but after thinking for a few minutes, this seemed like a bad idea. I e-mailed him asking for his phone number so I could call him when I got there, with no response back. I never gave him any description of myself or my vehicle.

Well, it's exactly an hour later, and no call from him. The apartment complex next to there houses a few shaddy characters (and plenty of good people too, it's a mixed bag). I think I made a damn good choice!

Good call, he didn't give you enough information. Take a friend if you do go (strapped), during the day.

1.5 hours, still no calls. I could be laying in a puddle of my own blood right now, or someone could be pimping my Avalanche, pissed that they are too fucking stupid to use my head unit, and if they did figure it out, pissed that I don't have any rap music on my iPod.

Good Call. I usually meet the local Kroger Marketplace or Whole Foods. In the food court, right next to a bank, surrounded by people and cameras. I was no-showed last week for a purchase I was making. I figured they were up to no good too. Never returned my messages or calls after wards. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Be careful too of the ones playing nice and then trying to get your location. I get that a lot when selling stuff and am very upfront with them that there's no need to worry where I live as we'll be meeting at Kroger :)

A guy called my wife about a antique bed frame I put on CL. The first question wasn't about the bed, he asked how to get to the house, at 1pm in the afternoon.

She said, "if you want to buy the bed, my husband will give you directions and help you load it,"

Click.

Be careful.

I sold it to someone else, jerk.

PS. I don't sound ghetto, I have a fucking speech impediment.

PPS. Good choice, if you're not comfortable you shouldn't go through with it.

dude a firend an id got followed from the gass station after buying beer, they follow us into his complex, and i phone my friend telling him we were followed and to get back tto his place fast. i drive slow with them behind, then do a quick turn around and ask them what the fuck they think they are doing, drunk high bastards asy, your following me, I reply no i'm calling the cops, the follow me out of the complex i do a U turn and chase them with police on phone down 270 to broad to a tiny alley, even i said screw that at that point, 2v1 is bad for the orge even if he has a bat in the trunk. as i turn around a cop flies down that alley. i can only hope those bastards at least will think twice about jumping somone for thier beer/cash.

dude a firend an id got followed from the gass station after buying beer, they follow us into his complex, and i phone my friend telling him we were followed and to get back tto his place fast. i drive slow with them behind, then do a quick turn around and ask them what the fuck they think they are doing, drunk high bastards asy, your following me, I reply no i'm calling the cops, the follow me out of the complex i do a U turn and chase them with police on phone down 270 to broad to a tiny alley, even i said screw that at that point, 2v1 is bad for the orge even if he has a bat in the trunk. as i turn around a cop flies down that alley. i can only hope those bastards at least will think twice about jumping somone for thier beer/cash.

ok... im drunk... and even I dont know what the fuck you just said?!

wat!? i posted this on every translation board i could, nobody can come up with anything.