SC300 Turbo Build

Alex L.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could be, the Diode looked to be fine tho. We need to make sure he gets the correct diode tho because the one he got was definitely to big to go into the hole where the old one came out.

call the ginger im sure he needs some insight ill be back there once im off work ughhh suckyness

Guest Removed
could be, the Diode looked to be fine tho. We need to make sure he gets the correct diode tho because the one he got was definitely to big to go into the hole where the old one came out.

well, ging does have way to much injector for the map ecu to handle anyway...you get so far down in thew fuel table, and shits starts getting wacky...like he is having now..

either smaller injectors and try again, or just aem the damn thing

my vote goes aem....it will cover more then any thing he can throw at it

well, ging does have way to much injector for the map ecu to handle anyway...you get so far down in thew fuel table, and shits starts getting wacky...like he is having now..

either smaller injectors and try again, or just aem the damn thing

my vote goes aem....it will cover more then any thing he can throw at it

yea but the aem cost $$$$$$ an this kids got so uch money wrapped up into this car its insane. lol but i got to sit in the car for a while on the dyno cool little car but dam head room sucksq

Guest Removed

if your head wasnt so big, it wouldnt be a issue...now would it

and for what he has already have in it, but the time we buy another set of injectors and what not, he's 1/2 to the aem unit.

Guest Removed
My Vote is for an EEC out of a 300 inline 6 truck so I can burn a chip for it :bangbang:

only if brian...only if..

i did send a kid with a 3.8 v-6 maro your way tho...he should be back...he has a slight stammer in it cold...once it wamrs up its gone:confused: but he has a ton of crap on it, and no tune..and was asking me about buyying a chip..im like no, call this guy...:cool:

All kinds of shit from today, if I'm feeling literary tomorrow, I'll post a synopsis.

All I can say right now is a whole-hearted thank you to Brian and Steve. Sitting around for the better part of 10 hours and not expecting a penny out of it, that speaks volumes about you not only as a businessman, but as a person as well. You can look forward to my business from now on.

so what did it make? if any thing?

158whp, and 240-something ft/lbs torque and shot out more black smoke than the Cummins. Thanks MAP-ECU...

I paid that exorbitant amount of money to make my car diesel.

Here's a rundown of what's happened thus far:

For the past few months, the car had been sitting at Slowmo getting a variety of things done to it. They built me an exhaust and intercooler piping, changed the headgasket, installed a clutch, installed an intake manifold, etc. As we were going to start the car up on the red, first-generation MAP-ECU, we had the a problem with the ECU where, no matter what percentage of fuel would be subtracted from the fuel map, the car would run rich. I believe that 100% of the fuel had been subtracted from the table and it was spitting black smoke at idle. This is when I junked the MAP-ECU and decided to evaluate my options.

I saw three options as far as what I could have done:

A.) Buy an AEM EMS

B.) Swap the MAP-ECU2 out of the '94 Supra

C.) Sell the car

As most of you know, I chose option B to save money. I delivered the ECU and connectors to Slowmo and they went to work. The ECU was installed, but no matter what anyone tried, we could not get the ECU to connect to the computer. They got in contact with the people at MAP-ECU and came to the conclusion that there was most likely a diode fried in the ECU. Slowmo played around with the MAP-ECU2 for a week or so to no avail. I eventually went down with my computer to try and solve the problem with no success. After a series of frustrating events at Slowmo, I made the decision to pull the car from Slowmo and transfer it to Gearheadz to let Rob work on it. At this point, I believe the term "ass handed to you" comes into play. I paid the bill off, and as the few that have seen the bill on here can attest, I REALLY fucking paid. The car was loaded onto the trailer, non-running, and transported over to Rob's. Sean (O HAI) accompanied me for most of this whole process.

The car arrived at Gearheadz with all of the documentation that Slowmo had gathered on it regarding the ECU troubles. Rob and I went to work that night and found that the diode that MAP-ECU predicted would be burnt was, in fact, burnt. Pakie came over to Rob's and replaced the diode, and much to my delight, we were able to connect to the ECU and upload a tune file. We uploaded a base tune file, and after some idle adjustment and basic tuning, we were able to get the car to sit there and run. I cannot thank Rob enough for taking the car in, helping me all that he did with it, and then giving me a great price for all the time that he spent researching and working on the car. You will have my business again, Rob.

After we got everything buttoned up at Gearheadz, I decided to take the car to Dynotune to let Brian tune it. After communicating back and forth for a little while, we decided to dyno the car on Wednesday, Nov. 25th at noon. Brian held true to this date despite the fact that he was still recovering from the flu. Paul (SRTurbo04), Sean (O HAI), and myself rented a U-Haul trailer, did some last-minute parts running, picked the car up from Rob's, and were on our way over to Dynotune.

We arrived at Dynotune a few minutes late due to all of the last-minute shit that had to be done. Brian and Steve (Ef8sirJunkie) arrived, and Paul backed the car off the trailer and moved it over to the dyno. Brian backed the car up on the dyno as it shot enough smoke out to choke everyone in the room. Brian and myself strapped the car down and got all of the sensors connected. There was quite a crowd gathered to see the car, as Steve (KillJoy), Jake (Tripleskate), Mike (SCHMUCKINGHAM), Brian (Wagner), Shawn (Skinner), and a few others showed up to see the car (if I forgot you, I am sorry; it's been a long couple of days, be understanding). Dyno Brian got to work on the car. The hours flew by, and the crowd dwindled. Soon it was only myself, Sean, Paul, Steve, and Brian there. Brian called Peter (Petauh as he's more affectionately known as :lol:) from MAP-ECU in New Zealand to get some insight on the system. More hours passed, and we had to take Paul to work. We arrived back at the shop and continued with the car.

Mike Davis and Shawn (slowbusa) arrived to do some tuning on Mike's bike. Scott (Cordell) arrived around this point as well. It's been hours longer at this point, and we still cannot get the MAP-ECU2 to cooperate. Mike's bike got tuned, and we got back to the Lexus. Nearly out of options at this point, I contacted Pakie and he went out of his way to come over to the dyno with his soldering tools so we could do some work on the ECU again. During the time the ECU was being soldered (thank you very much for doing this, Steve), we entertained ourselves by shaking our heads in amazement at old Ghostrider videos. The soldering was finished in a few minutes, and I put the ECU back in the car. We tried to start the car again with no success, and at this point we had to go pick Paul up from work. Aaron (MKV Aaron) arrived and hung out at the shop until we got back from Polaris. We got back to Dynotune and came to the consensus that I either ditch the MAP-ECU shit or be banned from CR. :lol:

The car was taken down off of the dyno and loaded on the trailer (Paul, Sean, Pakie, Steve, Brian, and myself at this point). Brian told us stories for an hour or so until we all parted.

At this point, I am faced with two options:

A.) AEM

B.) Sell it

I'm leaning more towards option A, but who knows at this point...

I learned a couple of things while at the dyno yesterday. Firstly, Brian is one of the most stand-up people I have ever had the privilege of doing business with. As I posted late last night above, he worked on the car for the better part of 10 hours and didn't expect a cent because of the fact that the software would not work. I could not believe this and would not let him go unpaid. I gave him half of what he had asked me for the tune.

Secondly, I learned how good of a group of friends I really do have. Paul and Sean, thank you guys very much for dedicating your entire day to putting up with me and helping with everything you did. Rob, thank you for calling and lending your thoughts and ideas to us. Pakie, thank you for coming out to the dyno right after you got off work and lending your tools. Thank you to everyone who came to the dyno to show your support, thank you to the numerous people who sent me texts throughout the day seeing what was going on with the car. It's been said about CR before and it's about to be said again: we here on CR will be at each others throats for a majority of the year, giving each other shit, making fun of each other, etc. However, in a time of need or a time that help is needed, so many of you will go out of your way to help out someone. I cannot extend the amount of thanks and gratitude that is due for everyone that has helped with this project.

That's where the car stands right now. It's sitting outside of my house right now until I decide what to do with it. Feel free to add thoughts, ideas, questions, etc.

The eternal unicorn continues...

Edited by Alex L.

Sorry I had to get home to my daughter before my wife went to work. I would have at least helped get it loaded.

Don't worry Alex this being one of your first big projects there was bound to be a big learning curve. We all have wanted to torch our cars at one point or another.