Lets talk ls1, turbos and capabilities

BDHG940

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do know a thing or to about turboing an ls1, i have also seen 1000 of your type that think they can do it in your price range and fail.

just for clarification, are you doing this for your personal car? or planing on selling a kit or something?

Im different than a lot of people though, I do have good connections and know how to get the job done.

I know a thing or two as well. I have a kit for $1450 for the single 5.0 turbo kit and $1725 for the mod motor 2v and 4v kits.

LS1 from what I estimate will be around maybe $1800 and need pump and injectors.

4 valve kit

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/on3p/DSC02175.jpg

2 valve kit

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/on3p/DSC02155.jpg

5.0 kit

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/on3p/50kitinstalled.jpg

I talked with linn but I dont think we will be able to get the mockup done quick enough really. Also the compression is a little high but still would be fun, who knows. If it comes down to it im just going to buy an ls1 camaro shoot for 600+ and broken parts soon after. Anyone know of a good 6 speed car or want to donate one for my use and a killer deal on a turbo kit when the car returns????? :-)

also, as far as fuel pump, do people just throw a walbro pump in the tank or what pump do people use normally? GSS340? I have a good connection for deka injectors so thats not a problem but I wanted to start calling some supplier to find what pump I need for the build.

Chad, I can tell you all the cheaper ways to get the job done. There is modification that needs to be made to the fuel system for those power levels, and lots of tuning.

Also Brads twin dryer cars motor is hurt from my understanding...I havent seen him in a while, but we were looking at engine components a while back.

A walbaro is good to 550 wheel maximum, we have a nice CNC drop in set up:)

When you around the shop ill show you your limits, and what you have to do so to speak.

-Brandon

Chad let me know if you need a camaro for mockup. HAHA

I think Mr. Linn has proven the strength of the LS1. As far as brad's motor is concerned it did lose a piston. It was cracked around the ring lands. It is his belief that the engine was hurt before the turbo kit ever went on the car. Brad purchased the car from a dealership that took it in on trade. The car had a procharger and 42 pound injectors and no tune in the ecm. He managed to talk the salesman into bringing to the dyno while on a test drive. It made less the 300 rwhp with a supercharger and no tune. The car did eventually get tuned the with the supercharger by Mr. Bill Wright. It then recieved a healthy dose of nitrous with the blower. The car also ran into lean conditions with the blower. We saw air/fuels in the 14's under boost. It was then the turbo kit went on and was tuned very aggressive. It is no suprise that the motor lost a piston given the history of the car.

I would definately talk with IPS about upgrades to the fuel systems. These motors should live all day long at 500 rwhp. I would think 600 rwhp is all you are going to want to do on the stock rod bolts. Just make sure we have:

Plenty of Fuel

Good Tuning

Common Sense

Common Sense being that you can make a lot of power for a 1/4 mile pass. Things starts to come apart when you stick a car in 5th or 6th gear and try to run 160+ mph down the freeway. You can best believe parts will be begin to fail especially with the crap gas we get out of the pump.

Chad, I can tell you all the cheaper ways to get the job done. There is modification that needs to be made to the fuel system for those power levels, and lots of tuning.

Also Brads twin dryer cars motor is hurt from my understanding...I havent seen him in a while, but we were looking at engine components a while back.

A walbaro is good to 550 wheel maximum, we have a nice CNC drop in set up:)

When you around the shop ill show you your limits, and what you have to do so to speak.

-Brandon

Cool man, do you have bov stuff in for my cobra? If so just let me know and Ill drop down there beginning of the week to grab that and check out what you have.

I think Mr. Linn has proven the strength of the LS1. As far as brad's motor is concerned it did lose a piston. It was cracked around the ring lands. It is his belief that the engine was hurt before the turbo kit ever went on the car. Brad purchased the car from a dealership that took it in on trade. The car had a procharger and 42 pound injectors and no tune in the ecm. He managed to talk the salesman into bringing to the dyno while on a test drive. It made less the 300 rwhp with a supercharger and no tune. The car did eventually get tuned the with the supercharger by Mr. Bill Wright. It then recieved a healthy dose of nitrous with the blower. The car also ran into lean conditions with the blower. We saw air/fuels in the 14's under boost. It was then the turbo kit went on and was tuned very aggressive. It is no suprise that the motor lost a piston given the history of the car.

I would definately talk with IPS about upgrades to the fuel systems. These motors should live all day long at 500 rwhp. I would think 600 rwhp is all you are going to want to do on the stock rod bolts. Just make sure we have:

Plenty of Fuel

Good Tuning

Common Sense

Common Sense being that you can make a lot of power for a 1/4 mile pass. Things starts to come apart when you stick a car in 5th or 6th gear and try to run 160+ mph down the freeway. You can best believe parts will be begin to fail especially with the crap gas we get out of the pump.

Here is the low down, when I find a car(if I buy one, not build a kit around a customer car) Im going to show up at the dyno with a 70(maybe 76mm) and maybe 20lbs of kitty litter in the trunk. I am not going to pull off the dyno till we see 600rwhp and just see what it takes to reach that on a stock ls1 car with a turbo kit bolted on. I think we can do it, I have met the goals pretty much on each kit I have done and dont see after talking with a few people that we can make 600+. Its not safe at that level I know but the fact of the matter is if I can make that power, there are going to be people out there that have supporting mods that can support it and gain confidence in the setup.

The kit will be mild steel from headers to the merge where the turbo mounts. All the mild steel will be coated in a flat high temp black coating and all intercooler piping and turbo back will be 304. The turbo back will be out of 16 gauge and intercooler stuff normally ran out of .05" 304ss

I want to build around a camaro so if anyone wants to donate their ls1 camaro to me for the next several months, you will get one killer deal on a turbo kit in the end. pm me for a number and we can discuss further

I have a six-speed car, LS1 powered with ARP rod bolts....

We can talk, pm me a number and Ill give you a shout tomorrow about my plans with the ls setup. I wanted to start with a camaro but since Im not a big gm guy, you guys help me out. Will the intercooler piping be able to route the same on the camaro and firebird cars or will I need to design a i/c piping kit for each setup?

I know it might come off dumb but this is all new to me and Im learning as I go with what info you guys are giving me. I have been pretty much in the 5.0 and 4.6 car for most of the time but want to get a gm setup started shortly as well to get the foot in the door.

Reguardless what the situation, my goal is to be on the dyno testing with a car on May 8.

that couldnt work out any better really, Ill give you a call sometime tomorrow afternoon to discuss with you. Curious, if we were to mockup with your car, what power would you be shooting for? Just interested as it would be your call where to stop the pulls since its your car. talk to you tomorrow

oh my you are trying to build this and sell it,

honestly thats not a good idea. as a mod on ls1tech for the Forced Induction section I have a good idea what will happen. you will go bankrupt and will steal peoples money at the end, this has happened to EVERYONE like you, you say your different from most people that do it, but you are not, you are just like them, they have contacts, done kits before ect.

Im just trying to save you from some headaches.

The only way to have a successful business in this endeavor would be to not take deposits. Do not over sell. Build a kit, then sell it after its built only sell what you have on hand. Try not to have a waiting list.

trust me that is the only way you will make it, otherwise you will get threats on your life & lawsuits from pissed off customers.

Chad is a good guy, who does run a shop and a business. I would not doubt his honesty and ability to make a kit, and sell them in a timely fashion.

so were the other guys. Not saying chad isnt a good guy, but so were the others, the ls1turbo world is cursed.

oh my you are trying to build this and sell it,

honestly thats not a good idea. as a mod on ls1tech for the Forced Induction section I have a good idea what will happen. you will go bankrupt and will steal peoples money at the end, this has happened to EVERYONE like you, you say your different from most people that do it, but you are not, you are just like them, they have contacts, done kits before ect.

Im just trying to save you from some headaches.

The only way to have a successful business in this endeavor would be to not take deposits. Do not over sell. Build a kit, then sell it after its built only sell what you have on hand. Try not to have a waiting list.

trust me that is the only way you will make it, otherwise you will get threats on your life & lawsuits from pissed off customers.

I come from the INCON days when a number of F body owners lost their deposits. Chad managed to develop his mustang kits without any deposits. I am sure this will be the same scenerio. I will be anxious to see the first kit.

so were the other guys. Not saying chad isnt a good guy, but so were the others, the ls1turbo world is cursed.

Ill break the curse

I have capital and dont have to presell in order to pay for my development. I have capital to pay for inventory and I have sources to produce a good product for a good price

I can tell you now, my 5.0 kits are making numbers and lots of satisfied customers, 4.6 kits are getting out there and once again, proven numbers on Brians dyno to back everything up. LS1 cars will be next and Im sure as you are the forced induction mod on ls1, you will be hearing things about me by summertime.

Business ownership isnt for everyone, some people can accomplish things others cant. Some are just better off working for people and not taking risk. Im not that way and would rather take the risk and the benefits follow for the hard work. Who knows, maybe I get on the dyno and the kit is a failure. Thing is though, Ill go back to square one, find where our issues is, redeisgn, test. Its just not rocket science and I know I can do it or I wouldnt be taking up my time and others to discuss. Im just researching here and getting a feeler to see what people think. Honestly when you give me the doubt, I see light from that because that proves to me that if I accoplish the goal, there are going to be a lot of guys like you that would want the kit if its done. Other thing is that I stock everything and products ship within 24 hours almost always from when kits are ordered.

Ill break the curse

I have capital and dont have to presell in order to pay for my development. I have capital to pay for inventory and I have sources to produce a good product for a good price

I can tell you now, my 5.0 kits are making numbers and lots of satisfied customers, 4.6 kits are getting out there and once again, proven numbers on Brians dyno to back everything up. LS1 cars will be next and Im sure as you are the forced induction mod on ls1, you will be hearing things about me by summertime.

Business ownership isnt for everyone, some people can accomplish things others cant. Some are just better off working for people and not taking risk. Im not that way and would rather take the risk and the benefits follow for the hard work. Who knows, maybe I get on the dyno and the kit is a failure. Thing is though, Ill go back to square one, find where our issues is, redeisgn, test. Its just not rocket science and I know I can do it or I wouldnt be taking up my time and others to discuss. Im just researching here and getting a feeler to see what people think. Honestly when you give me the doubt, I see light from that because that proves to me that if I accoplish the goal, there are going to be a lot of guys like you that would want the kit if its done. Other thing is that I stock everything and products ship within 24 hours almost always from when kits are ordered.

building the turbo kit is the easy part, dealing with the customers who want XXXX for XXXX is the hard part.

like i said before, if you have it before you sell it you might do ok, but if you get anxious and sell it before its made you will be doomed.

that has been the downfall of all the turbo companies that went out.

the other hard part is betting cheap chinese labor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/97-02-ls1-camaro-z28-ss-firebird-v8-t4-turbo-manifold_W0QQitemZ290302197446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item290302197446&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

building the turbo kit is the easy part, dealing with the customers who want XXXX for XXXX is the hard part.

like i said before, if you have it before you sell it you might do ok, but if you get anxious and sell it before its made you will be doomed.

that has been the downfall of all the turbo companies that went out.

the other hard part is betting cheap chinese labor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/97-02-ls1-camaro-z28-ss-firebird-v8-t4-turbo-manifold_W0QQitemZ290302197446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item290302197446&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I have sourced for a lot of years and have a lot of good contacts. My hotside will be 2mm mild steel up to the turbo with a high temp coating. Turbo back will be 16 gauge 304 and intercooler we will do out of .05" 304 as well. There are a lot of sketchy factories to work with and ways to cheat with thinner material, not using what they say, etc. I met my manufacture at SEMA 2 years ago and is very legit and builds good parts. You are right though to some extent and do have to be cautious