New battery + alternator, still losing volts?

Browning

just installed a new battery and alternator in my 91 s10 with 2.8 within the last two days. Thought it was fixed until tonight. Keep losing volts, mainly when I hit the brake, when I rev the truck the volts go back up. Maybe a bad wire on the alternator or battery?

stop believing the factory gauge?

could be a wiring issue. maybe bad ground?

well my lights kept getting dim when the gauge dropped, so it has to be accurate.

Bad ground. Check the ones on the engine. You might even have to add one from the block to the chassis to get rid of it.

My negative from the battery to the body looks pretty jacked up. Thinking about gettig a new wire and trying it.

Guest Removed

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/fuckedpic.jpg

clean the ground cable on the block, if it looks bad replace it. fix the chassis ground(the wire coming off the battery to the body) then add a extra ground wire to the alternator case or bracket.(alt has to be grounded to)

understand?

Guest Removed

battery to body around 10 gauge will work.

i have always just ran the engine ground right to the alt bracket.(clean the paint off first)

but no smaller then the power wire for the alt(which should be 10 or 8 gauge anyway)

also might want to check the grounds on the back of the heads.clean them as needed.

I think it's the ground from the battery to the core support. It's pretty rough and some of the wires are broke. I'm gonna go ahead and replace all my grounds and do what is called "the big 3"

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Big-3-Car-Audio-Wiring-Upgrade&id=1411196

figure that should take care of it.

Today I replaced the (+) to alternator, (+) to starter, (-) to block and (-) to core support, then to frame. Replaced with 4 gauge wire.

Seemed to be going good, until about 10 minutes of running, then the volts dropped to around 7, back up, back down the went to normal. Done it a few more times over the next few minutes. Had the auto parts guy check the voltage and it was a steady 15(mind you it didn't act up while he had the tester on it.)

So far I have done the following.

1. New battery

2. New alternator

3. The big 3 with 4 gauge wire.

Check starter wiring?

Any other symptoms? (only when hot? only with headlights on? have a lot of stereo equipment or aftermarket lights wired into the truck? belt tight?)

Shots in the dark.

if you're talking about the wire from the battery to the starter, I replaced it with 4 gauge as well. I had an amo and stuff hooked up but not since I put the new battery and alternator in. Stereo is unhooked as well.

Seems to do it a few minutes after it's been running. I'm fucking stumped

yes. I didn't think that was right. Auto parts guy said it shouldn't spin, and he didn't really want to replace the alternator. Don't think I'll be going there anymore. sucks though, cause it's 50 feet in front of my house. Pretty convenient.

I forgot to mention I also replaced the fusible link today.

Would the stud spinning have anything to do with my problem you think?

Guest Removed

if the stud that in the alt start spinning, it's fucked.

i has a special wrench that holds it in place so this dont happen.

i was going to say something about it in the beginging, but you said it was new and theres is no possible way that can happen with new parts now can it.:bs:

and more about the parts place, fuck them. they dont want to warranty anything. I made a supplier replace a engine 3 fucking times.

btw RECON motors suck ass. buy jasper. or have someone rebuild it