Opinions 300zx who has em?

wnaplay1647545503

I have found a 90's model 300zx n/a car that I might go look at. I have always wanted one but could never bring myself to do it. I am getting tired of searching for something at this point. I like the n/a models due to the reliability factor over the turbo models. Who has em or has had em? Anything to look for? I thought about doing the domestic thing but everyone has either a mustang, a camaro, or a pontiac of sorts at this point. Looking every night for months has become a pain in the ass. I have found a few fox bodies I have liked but just not sure if I want to go that route. I even looked at a few fc's. I appreciate all the opinions. Thanks

I like the n/a models due to the reliability factor over the turbo models.

Setting yourself up for failure with that attitude :D

Reliability depends on the car you get. My Z cleaned me out, but that was due to me getting over excited and not having it checked out really well. Many have great success with their Zs reliability wise.

Honestly it's a very fun car. My car is swapped, but I drove it as an N/A for about 4 years. It doesn't do 1 thing perfect, but it does almost everything well. It has enough power to put a smile on your face, and can handle corners pretty well. The NA doesn't respond too great to power mods, an intake and exhaust, maybe a pulley, is about as far as most go engine wise. Putting money in the suspension yields the most noticeable results. And there is a fantastic community, both online, and in Ohio.

I would have it inspected by a good mechanic, member SilverTwinOH if you could, he's a bit of a drive south, but he knows the cars very well.

Also, don't buy an N/A if you really want a twin turbo. Too many people buy them, and immediately talk about swapping, and how they want a turbo. Make sure you can enjoy the car as an N/A, as it is usually cheaper to just buy a Twin Turbo if that's what you think you would want.

Check out 300zxclub.com and twinturbo.net. There is tons of info in the FAQs about what to look for.

As far as auto-x, Im sure aesthetic_influx will chime in soon, he auto-x's his.

Setting yourself up for failure with that attitude It doesn't do 1 thing perfect, but it does almost everything well. It has enough power to put a smile on your face, and can handle corners pretty well. The NA doesn't respond too great to power mods, an intake and exhaust, maybe a pulley, is about as far as most go engine wise. Putting money in the suspension yields the most noticeable results. And there is a fantastic community, both online, and in Ohio.

I would have it inspected by a good mechanic, member SilverTwinOH if you could, he's a bit of a drive south, but he knows the cars very well.

Also, don't buy an N/A if you really want a twin turbo. Too many people buy them, and immediately talk about swapping, and how they want a turbo. Make sure you can enjoy the car as an N/A, as it is usually cheaper to just buy a Twin Turbo if that's what you think you would want.

Check out 300zxclub.com and twinturbo.net. There is tons of info in the FAQs about what to look for.

As far as auto-x, Im sure aesthetic_influx will chime in soon, he auto-x's his.

Ex 300Z owner here. Everything quoted is true. More fun in turns than my fbodies or sn95's. You could just throw it into the apex. With suspension mods the car was awesome.

If You gotta do maintenance on them or diagnose a problem, not everyone can help you like with a foxbody, and the engine bay is tight. Fun cars,not really cheap for mods though.

If you want a twin get it. don't bother with the swap.

Background: Bought mine as an NA in 2000. It was converted to a twin turbo in 2006. I modifed my NA with a variety of bolt-ons to 206rwhp/188rwtq. I took it to the strip once as an NA and ran a disgusting 15.5 or so. I've been AutoX'ing since 2002 with the car.

The Z32 is a rather interesting car - but it's a love/hate relationship depending on your goals, budget, patience and ability (and space) to turn a wrench. The NA models are becoming more and more affordable as the years roll on, especially with higher mileage. Finding one in good condition isn't impossible, but you will find a lot more in need of serious TLC than not.

As 1fynzx said, the major mistake I've seen MANY owners make over the years is to buy an NA while wanting a TT. That will be more costly over time as you try and make the NA faster, all the while getting nowhere. On the topic of NA vs. TT, finding a TT that needs some basic maintenance is much more of a payoff. You will never make the NA as fast as a stock+ TT, if even a stock one - unless of course you pour TONS of money into it.

Reliability? It's an over-engineered GT car released in 1989 and the newest one you will find state-side is going to be 13 years old. They can be reliable, but once you start modifying them (as with any car) they have a better chance of showing worn parts.

They're great cars - but aren't as easy to work on due to cramped engine bays (TT especially). Parts aren't super cheap, but they aren't in the German part category either. Plenty of aftermarket support - some that is still being developed by a few performance shops for the twin turbo model. They handle well with fresh stock components - and even better with upgraded parts. The brakes are easily the weak point of the car.

There are many people rocking them at the strip, road course and AutoX. They shine at the first two the most, being designed for road course-type driving first and foremost. The car can be built to do any of the three (I AutoX mine), but long and twisty is where it is really home imho. Wondering what some of the faster ones are running at the strip: http://z32racing.com/

I've seen a couple NA models breaching the 300rwhp mark (usually with nitrous or stroked motors). I've seen TT models hitting anywhere between 260rwhp - 1100 rwhp.

I could go on and on... and on, but I won't yet. This forum is the only one you will need: http://www.twinturbo.net

Here is some additional reading:

http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/FAQ/FAQpages/differences.html

http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/FAQ/FAQpages/usedpurchasing.html

http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/FAQ/FAQpages/natott.html

http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=technical&msg_id=952659

More questions - shoot. Although any and all questions regarding this car from technical to aesthetic can be almost surely answered by SilverTwin in detail.

I loved my Z32, one of my favorite cars, handled well, was peppy (not quick by any means) and looked good. PITA to work on though.

That said if you can squeeze a TT, do it.

EDIT: what I meant to say was ...

Background: Bought mine as an NA in 2000. It was converted to a twin turbo in 2006. I modifed my NA with a variety of bolt-ons to 206rwhp/188rwtq. I took it to the strip once as an NA and ran a disgusting 15.5 or so. I've been AutoX'ing since 2002 with the car.

The Z32 is a rather interesting car - but it's a love/hate relationship depending on your goals, budget, patience and ability (and space) to turn a wrench. The NA models are becoming more and more affordable as the years roll on, especially with higher mileage. Finding one in good condition isn't impossible, but you will find a lot more in need of serious TLC than not.

As 1fynzx said, the major mistake I've seen MANY owners make over the years is to buy an NA while wanting a TT. That will be more costly over time as you try and make the NA faster, all the while getting nowhere. On the topic of NA vs. TT, finding a TT that needs some basic maintenance is much more of a payoff. You will never make the NA as fast as a stock+ TT, if even a stock one - unless of course you pour TONS of money into it.

Reliability? It's an over-engineered GT car released in 1989 and the newest one you will find state-side is going to be 13 years old. They can be reliable, but once you start modifying them (as with any car) they have a better chance of showing worn parts.

They're great cars - but aren't as easy to work on due to cramped engine bays (TT especially). Parts aren't super cheap, but they aren't in the German part category either. Plenty of aftermarket support - some that is still being developed by a few performance shops for the twin turbo model. They handle well with fresh stock components - and even better with upgraded parts. The brakes are easily the weak point of the car.

There are many people rocking them at the strip, road course and AutoX. They shine at the first two the most, being designed for road course-type driving first and foremost. The car can be built to do any of the three (I AutoX mine), but long and twisty is where it is really home imho. Wondering what some of the faster ones are running at the strip: http://z32racing.com/

I've seen a couple NA models breaching the 300rwhp mark (usually with nitrous or stroked motors). I've seen TT models hitting anywhere between 260rwhp - 1100 rwhp.

I could go on and on... and on, but I won't yet. This forum is the only one you will need: www.twinturbo.net

Here is some additional reading:

http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/FA...fferences.html

http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/FA...urchasing.html

http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/FA...es/natott.html

http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...&msg_id=952659

More questions - shoot. Although any and all questions regarding this car from technical to aesthetic can be almost surely answered by SilverTwin in detail.

If you want, I can give my friend a call and see if he's still wanting to sell his TT and get you details on it if you're interested.

If you want reliability get a honda. I'd rather get black syphilis than buy a non-turbo anything, knowing there is a turbo model available. Pay the extra few bucks for a turbo model.. I'd rather fix something I actually like driving rather than another A-B piece of shit car.

Well said, I agree

If you want, I can give my friend a call and see if he's still wanting to sell his TT and get you details on it if you're interested.

Well said, I agree

See what he wants for it. Turbo, twin turbo really dont mean anything to me at this point. I can buy a car with most of what is done in here by members who work on their cars just to make them fast. I dont have long drawn out projects waiting to save up to buy parts reaching for a goal. If I wanted a go fast car again, I would just buy something already built. With that being said, going fast kind of loses its luster. It was fine when I was a kid building cars in the garage but thats when I was saving to buy a air filter to try and gain 1hp. I havent been challenged to a race in many moons. Would a n/a z be fun to drive around? I have never driven one and maybe after driving a n/a model vs. a turbo one I might feel the opposite.

Just something to think about but i have a 5 speed lexus sc300 with some goodies on it thats fun to drive. Easy to work on, comfortable, $50/mo for full coverage and beyond reliable. I havent had to fix anything yet, only done the recommended maintaining at intervals. Most people end up boosting the cars post 100k and they still last without problems. Im putting mine up for sale soon but if you want to take a ride sometime and see what its like, lemme know.

If you have never sat your ass in a turbo model Z then your missing out. My friend, an old member who was banned a few years ago had one. A silver one, 2 sport 500 turbos and a bunch of work done by IPS. The car pulled so strong it would have you sliding up the leather seats. By far the fastest car ive have ever been in. Oh yea, BTW 300 top end FTW. Ask Brenner or whatever his name is. His shit was a monster.

Would a n/a z be fun to drive around? I have never driven one and maybe after driving a n/a model vs. a turbo one I might feel the opposite.

To be honest - yes, quite. Either car with upgraded suspension components will be a lot of fun at the turn of the wheel. As far as the differences go, the NA can feel lighter on its feet due to the absence of turbo lag and a lighter curb weight. Sure it won't respond to power modifications the same, but all of the other upgrades are there along with a respectable number for the NA. You may not be breaking any power numbers, but a well cared for and decently quick NA (with suspension / brakes upgraded) can be a LOT of fun. My car was NA for years and I loved every second of it; it wasn't about power but just loving the car. (I know, I know... but it's true)

The TT just "feels" like more mass once you start turning the wheel or accelerating. The stock adjustable shocks are most likely going to be on their way out on almost any higher mileage model you find. The HICAS steering unit is something to get acquainted with on the TT, with it possibly giving some tingling in the spine when the rear wheels turn a bit on an on-ramp at speed. It definitely is a different driving experience, but not a completely different car.

The cockpit differences are negligible; the TT adds an adjustable suspension button on the center "arm rest" controls, a stock boost gauge and nothing more.

I highly recommend checking one (or more) out if you can, not just for the ride feel but so you can check out everything about the car. I'm sure of a few of us local Z owners wouldn't mind showing a love/hate list in person.

The only z32 Ive ever rode in was a NA model that was swapped to a inline six turbo. While the car was NA it felt decent nothing special but it still could move along. If you ever get tired of the motor and decide to swap, you also have a big open engine market to what can go back inside. After the motor swap was done thats when the car really came alive, now its running a built rb25 with 40r single and the car flat out fucking pulls like nothing ive been in before. Best thing would be for you to drive the different models and you pick what fits the best.

Whats a fair price for a n/a car?

Depends on the mileage, condition, maintenance needed. If you're looking for one that only needs basic TLC / maintenance and is in otherwise good condition, expect to pay anywhere from $4k - $8k. Granted there are exceptions to the rule, but any less than $4k and you're probably going to need to pour some money into it. Anything above $8k will probably get you a nearly immaculate NA, but then you're getting into the ballpark of a decent TT.

If you ever get tired of the motor and decide to swap, you also have a big open engine market to what can go back inside.

That might be a little misleading. I've seen the Z32 powered by an RB, SR, 2JZ and a couple different domestic and import V8's... but none of them are nearly the "easy" swap like cars with lots of open engine bay room (like a 240SX for example, where there are miles of room for almost any motor). There are more than a couple RB-powered Z32's running around, and they are absolutely awesome... but it's not nearly as easy as swapping VG30DE for VG30DETT.

I have found one the owner is asking $3700. Its n/a because this will be my nice weather daily driver. Its clean but just dont know if I want to go ahead with it. I know what everyone is saying going with TT but its really not a car that will be used for anything other than cruising to and from work. Just a few miles each way. I am worried if I get a TT it will drawn out expenses. Definately not what I am looking for.

I have found one the owner is asking $3700. Its n/a because this will be my nice weather daily driver. Its clean but just dont know if I want to go ahead with it. I know what everyone is saying going with TT but its really not a car that will be used for anything other than cruising to and from work. Just a few miles each way. I am worried if I get a TT it will drawn out expenses. Definately not what I am looking for.

Then it sounds like you'll be happy with an NA. It has enough power to get out of its own way, and if you're not looking for a highly potent car to modify... you should be good. Just remember, although the NA is reliable, there are still plenty of old parts (plastic connectors, bushings, etc) that will need attention. Check out those links I threw out earlier in the thread to get an idea of what to look for when buying a used one.

I am firm on what I feel like spending in cash right now. It doesnt sound like I am going to be able to get a TT without a ton of issues for similar cash so I might as well go n/a. I seen 2 for sale today but both lots were closed. I will check out the links. as long as I can get one low enough that I can get the same money back out of it quickly if I find something else later, I am fine with that.

Then it sounds like you'll be happy with an NA. It has enough power to get out of its own way, and if you're not looking for a highly potent car to modify... you should be good. Just remember, although the NA is reliable, there are still plenty of old parts (plastic connectors, bushings, etc) that will need attention. Check out those links I threw out earlier in the thread to get an idea of what to look for when buying a used one.

+1

Turbo or not, many people forget how much upkeep a nearly 20 year old car needs. Plastics, hoses, all term hard and brittle. This is the biggest issue with "old turbo car" reliability. If everyone who bought a dsm/z32/Ect. would tear everything apart and get it up to spec before modding and beating the shit out of it, we'd see a drastically different picture.

If you think swapping a rb in a 240 body car is easy its really not, there is no room either.

I havent had a loan (besides my home) in 16 years. I dont like borrowing money. I get tired of vehicles quickly and really like buying and selling stuff. I would hate to ever have something I owed on and wouldnt be able to do something else because I have a payment I couldnt get out from under.