Surprised no one at work had heard of this

nurkvinny

I had to do that at NTB a couple of times back in the day.

-Mike

I was about to say the same thing. We've had a few times before we got our "cheetah", where we had to mount difficult tires this way. Its acutally kinda scary.

Just got to use one of these last Fall. I won't name the tire shop because for whatever reason, they are not legal, or are anti-OSHA, or whatever. But, it was hands-down the easiest method of mounting a difficult tire I had even done.

Umm, huh? They're called bead-setters, are sold commercially, and I've never had a truck tire mounted without the use of one.

The cheetah works great.

not always... if the sidewall is too stiff or if there is just a larger gap then its not going to work very well. at least with the tires i change. although we have found another way that is much safer, just lay the wheel down on a bucket, let the tire hang, put air to it and have several people put a shit ton of tire lube on the top to fill it in and allow the bead to seat. kinda strange but it works when you have extra people to help out.

im a truck and trailer mechanic right now... sadly, but anyways this works perfectly on some big ass 24.5 annoying bridgestone trailer tires! although you should put air to it first. it keeps it from sucking in like that and keep the valve stem out of it. worst that happens is it blows the air line off and you have to repeat. it does seem dangerous but i have never heard of anyone being hurt from this.... just make sure there isn't fix-a-flat in it, lolololol