Best way to fill a differential.

Stimmel1647545512

I could have used that on my trans... Where do you get that?

autozone, advance, napa. They should all have something similar.

Stimmel....seriously? Duct tape and packing tape on the paint? Harsh man.

Guest tbutera2112
i filled my diff half way, and then somehow ended up sucking the fluid back into the bottle....fail....ended up flipping it upside down with the hose running into the diff, and then poking a hole in the top of the bottle....fuck 8.8s

Guest Removed
This has been the best 10 bucks I ever spent for doing fluid changes of almost any kind:

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/555/555-W1145.jpg

those dont like heavy gear oil..i find warming the gear oil up in boiling water help makes it move easyer

i've tried your technique---gear oil was too thick to 'gravity-fill' with the small hosing. i have two different pumps pictured above. in the end, sometimes its easier to just cut the tip off the top of the oil container, aim it in the fill hole, and squeeze. it can be a tight fit to get the oil container near the fill hole, but i will even empty half the oil container first, and scrunch it up a bit to get it into place---its quick, easy, and doesn't 'gunk-up' one of the pumps that you will have to later clean

i've tried your technique---gear oil was too thick to 'gravity-fill' with the small hosing. i have two different pumps pictured above. in the end, sometimes its easier to just cut the tip off the top of the oil container, aim it in the fill hole, and squeeze. it can be a tight fit to get the oil container near the fill hole, but i will even empty half the oil container first, and scrunch it up a bit to get it into place---its quick, easy, and doesn't 'gunk-up' one of the pumps that you will have to later clean

This is precisely how I filled mine after gears.

I am seriously the master a gear oil. I've learned the hard way.

The easiest by far, even easier than the pump someone posted above. Its a pump that resembles that from the soap dispenser in your bathroom, hook up a hose to it and start pumping. It handles the thick oil no problem and doesn't make a mess. They sell them at advance auto, they just thread onto your oil container like a cap.

The reason I know this (any of you that have boats can feel my pain). On a boat you have to fill the lower unit with gear oil from the bottom up. It would be the equivalent of filling your oil through your oil pan drain plug, its absolutely ridiculous. I was being cheap and had read some people can just put a hose in the drain and squeeze the gear oil in. God what a MESS! after 2 bottle of gear oil and a dead patch of grass, I spend the 7 dollars for this pump that threads into the oil container (lid) and has a metal fitting that threads into the lower unit. Took about 2 minutes to fill.

lesson learned.

You will learn this lesson too when you come back to your car and the tape has let loose and because of the fall the cap on the bottle was broken and you have a big mess to clean up and you are out a bottle of expensive lube......i've been there. Just buy the pump!!

PS: I <3 run-on sentences.

paint? what paint?

thats white out over rust

shits not white out the car had some makeshift body work when i bought it, im not gonna go do all the body work then have to pull the motor/tranny suspsension/ install turbo on a nice clean paint job. performance first body work last sir.

I am seriously the master a gear oil. I've learned the hard way.

The easiest by far, even easier than the pump someone posted above. Its a pump that resembles that from the soap dispenser in your bathroom, hook up a hose to it and start pumping. It handles the thick oil no problem and doesn't make a mess. They sell them at advance auto, they just thread onto your oil container like a cap.

The reason I know this (any of you that have boats can feel my pain). On a boat you have to fill the lower unit with gear oil from the bottom up. It would be the equivalent of filling your oil through your oil pan drain plug, its absolutely ridiculous. I was being cheap and had read some people can just put a hose in the drain and squeeze the gear oil in. God what a MESS! after 2 bottle of gear oil and a dead patch of grass, I spend the 7 dollars for this pump that threads into the oil container (lid) and has a metal fitting that threads into the lower unit. Took about 2 minutes to fill.

lesson learned.

You will learn this lesson too when you come back to your car and the tape has let loose and because of the fall the cap on the bottle was broken and you have a big mess to clean up and you are out a bottle of expensive lube......i've been there. Just buy the pump!!

PS: I <3 run-on sentences.

Yeah, sometimes cramped compartments dictate the use of a standard quart bottle pump (pictured below), which I also have. Most of the time the red transfer pump works great for me though. I found that the quart bottle pump was good for filling my IRS diff beause I kept tipping the damn bottle over trying to fish the hose into place.

Also, I have never taped a bottle to may car. My cars usually actually are White-Out over rust... Not so good for retaining the nice no-gloss streaked finish I hold so dear.

http://a1672.g.akamai.net/7/1672/116/20090401/www.ritzcamera.com/graphics/products/3-92/366640092.jpg

http://a1672.g.akamai.net/7/1672/116/20090401/www.ritzcamera.com/graphics/products/3-92/366640092.jpg

i have that pump too--used it to fill our exploder front axle, as i could get zero access for my special technique--this pump works great--