Gm closing 1700 dealers/ chysler goes to fiat

Guest Removed

Ford began doing what GM is being forced to do, on their own accord, over a year ago. Their leadership saw the writing on the wall, knew what was coming, and were proactive about dealing with the issues. They went to the unions. They negotiated with suppliers. They made tough decisions. GM has been sitting out, waiting for the government to force them to do this so they have that leverage over unions and suppliers.

Ford deserves to get through this and be on top. Not saying they may not need help still, but they didn't wait for the government to tell them what to do. This isn't communism, it's a lackadaisical and unrealistic response to their position in the market.

Toyota rareley lays off employees......

How come all these places people think are king shit cant do the same?...

Seems like everyone wants more but doesn't wanna work harder to get it, and they want benefits and a pay increase with out them going the extra mile. While people who want there "cars" does not wanna pay the price for it. People take out loans then not pay them then go buy 22's to s;ap on there shit only to find it getting repoed a year later. then they go and cry to the govt how they need money.

Its bullshit. For the most part society has put us here as a majority.

Majority of people here do make there car payments and bills but lately in my world and what I see at work people just dont give a fuck and there lives are goin down the drain along with good values.

Toyota has never laid off one employee, Think about that.

Not here and not in this crisis. Japanese automakers learned how to ride a recession in the Japanese bubble-pop about 15 years ago.

Seems like everyone wants more but doesn't wanna work harder to get it, and they want benefits and a pay increase with out them going the extra mile. While people who want there "cars" does not wanna pay the price for it. People take out loans then not pay them then go buy 22's to s;ap on there shit only to find it getting repoed a year later. then they go and cry to the govt how they need money.

Majority of people here do make there car payments and bills but lately in my world and what I see at work people just dont give a fuck and there lives are goin down the drain along with good values.

you bastard i just went to quote your "has never laid off any of it's employees and you changed it. :) they laid off 800 in august of 2008 and 200 in texas and lots more

Apparently I missed the release about the Toyota layoffs from 2008, but it goes to show that they saw this coming and started the process well before they were at critical bottom.

I like what they did with the new mustangs

new mustangs are incredible---interior, fit, finish, styling, etc. etc. just wish they had much more power.

kind of like having everything you want on your plate, but no fucking steak. don't see myself buying a new mustang in the forseable future.

Communism in action.

"General Motors Corp has told U.S. dealers it is accelerating its timetable for closing about 1,700 dealerships as it rushes to meet a June 1 deadline to restructure under U.S. government oversight"

No shit if you are going to go whining to the government for money, do you expect the government to allow them to do whatever they want especially after they got themselves in this mess? I wouldn't trust the companies to solve it.....

I'm with you, less government, but if you are going to ask for money from them it has to be expected that the government will have a say in their fairy money that is growing on trees somewhere.

From what I heard, Ford's truck sales is keeping them in better shape than the others...IMO until Chrysler stops making disposable vehicles at 100,000 miles and truck transmissions that fail at 50,000 miles they will be hurting...The new Challenger is nice but won't save them..It's a double edged sword..bailout/tax payers suffer...companys close economy fails worse and tax payers suffer more..

GM isn't going away.

The unprofitable parts of GM are. I don't know how many times this has to be mentioned.

Chevrolet is mentioned as a good asset so it will remain in production, producing cars, as GM goes through this "re-structuring" or bankruptcy.

+1

Everyone has forgotten how to be an adult. We need someone to come along and do a mass ass-whuppin. :cool:

and i can say for fact, hyundia/kia will be on top of stuff...not sure how far along the new plant is, but...they dont need our goverments money now do they?

No unions for either of them. Hyundai is just about the only car company making a profit right now. Their new cars are pretty good too. They deserve it if you ask me.

If Chrysler or GM made a turn around like Hyundai did in the last decade, we wouldn't be in this mess.

i just wonder where ford is in all this..i mean they have been closing dealers etc...

and i can say for fact, hyundia/kia will be on top of stuff...not sure how far along the new plant is, but...they dont need our goverments money now do they?

They started buying out retirements in 05-they saw the writing on the wall.

Guest Removed

the whole toyota thing..look at this.

count the toyota dealers in the area. what 4?

now count the gm dealers what 40?

toyota wont let germain open another around here. wonder why. they are using common sence in this, not the old american thinking of the more dealers we have the more cars we will sell and the more cars we will service.

I hate two things out of this the most.

GM and Chrysler having a chance of no longer existing, sure they have failed hard but its sad to see american car companys that have made some epic cars go out like that.

2. The US government telling private companys what to do. Fuck that shit, yeah i know they took taxpayer dollars etc but still. The whole situation sucks.

Stop your whining. GM has choosen to ask the government for help. If the government want to put some caviots on the money that's fine with me.

GM CHOOSE THIS.

i just wonder where ford is in all this..i mean they have been closing dealers etc...

Ford saw the writing on the wall years ago and started doing what needed done while cheap credit was easy to get. As long as we don't go 1933, they'll do just fine. My bigger worry is that GM gets its shit together under bankruptcy, putting Ford at a disadvantage.