Sniper Rifle help.

1fast5gp

How much of a "sniper" are you? Unless you are putting in some serious range time, you may be wasting your time with .338 Lapua Mag or .300 Win Mag. I am not knocking you, I just know from experience that its the operator not the equipment. I have a Savage 10FP in .308WIN and it is plenty to play with at shooting accurately at a fair distance away. It is cheaper, both rifle and ammo, and I don't really need the 1/2 MOA difference. YMMV but just wondering what use you were looking for. These http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/cust_remington_700.php - 35k - guys are good (no personal knowledge, just from what I have heard) and http://www.snipershide.com/ is a good resource for precision shooting.

I ordered a 700p in 338 a month or so back, was told it would be around 6-10month wait. I would also suggest a .308 for a beginner "sniper rifle", I have a 10fp and it does great out to 1000, and a little past. It is hard to find ranges in ohio to shoot past 1000 yards, and you have to drive a little to get to the ones that have 1000 yards. I am not one to say you need an excuse to buy any guns, but what are you trying to accomplish with the 338LM?

My first suggestion is spend the money to learn how to shoot it correctly. Both of those rounds don't do anything any differently in the hands of an un-trained shooter than a 30-06 or .308 can.

I don't get into this area much becuase Scott usually covers my thoughts on shotting.

However, the above statement it just too true. You don't need an F1 race car to get groceries. The need for a 600 meter plus shot just isn't out there. Or here in Ohio, for that matter.

Cool to have? Yes. But $ to real use ratio is pretty far off. Even for all out war, right now, today; not all that practical and more of a pain to carry with you.

Without the training or match compitition, 30-06 and .308 like weapons will cover all your needs.

Out.

• Upvote 1

I don't get into this area much becuase Scott usually covers my thoughts on shotting.

However, the above statement it just too true. You don't need an F1 race car to get groceries. The need for a 600 meter plus shot just isn't out there. Or here in Ohio, for that matter.

Cool to have? Yes. But $ to real use ratio is pretty far off. Even for all out war, right now, today; not all that practical and more of a pain to carry with you.

Without the training or match compitition, 30-06 and .308 like weapons will cover all your needs.

Out.

Quoted for awesomeness. I'm not even going to mention what kind of optic you'll need (x,xxx$)

Well i have savage 10FP in 308 that I have been shooting for a few weeks. I am still learning long range shooting. I know eventually i would like to have the option of doing some really long range shooting like 1000+ yards away. I don't plan on shooting the .338 lupa much since they are soo expensive to shoot. It also be cool to have it in my collection. I really like the AR30, but now with the wait, I would just like to see what my options are.