LS6 intake & gear question

Snowflake

I am ready to get an LS6 intake for my car. Is there anything else that needs to be upgraded or changed while doing the swap or is it as simple as taking off the old one and putting on the new one.

Now as far as the gears. From what I can tell during my research it is a waste to change to 3.42 gears from 3.23's. Im interested in input on this since I havent done it yet but I already have it.

Im thinking since I already have the 3.42s I might as well change them out. I could only see gains even if minor is my guess.

thoughts...

Does anyone think my 18's hurt me at the track vs. stock 16's.

with 3.23's 40 mph in 1st gear will be 4400 RPM and 4th will top out at 144

with 3.42's 40 mph in 1st gear will be 4700 RPM and 4th will top out at 136

with 3.73's 40 mph in 1st gear will be 5100 RPM and 4th will top out at 124

(top speed in 4th is assuming 6000 RPM)

with 3.23's 40 mph in 1st gear will be 4400 RPM and 4th will top out at 144

with 3.42's 40 mph in 1st gear will be 4700 RPM and 4th will top out at 136

with 3.73's 40 mph in 1st gear will be 5100 RPM and 4th will top out at 124

(top speed in 4th is assuming 6000 RPM)

I take it this is supposed to represent a 6 speed car? Because on my A4 Z28 with 3:73s, 3rd gear tops out about 124 at 6200 rpms, give or take a little. Cruising in my car at about 70mph, 2200 rpms in 4th is about where I'm at.

you'll need the coolant crossover pipe and coolant plugs for the rear ports. thunder racing carries them.

The coolant lines you have can be modified, but its much simpler to replace them with ones off of a newer car. 2001 and 2002 f-bodys had them, and any other car with an ls6 intake.

You need new coolant lines since the LS6 intake floor sits lower, the LS1 is "humped" up.

Just make sure you get a real LS6 intake, many people have been screwed over. Check the part number.

When you get LT Headers, get race ones so they don't have the EGR and AIR ports.

Give me a call sometime.

Bill

Thanks guys. Im glad I asked I was thinking it would be as easy as taking old one off and putting new one on.

I will probably buy a new intake unless I can find one locally from someone trusted so I will for sure get what Im paying for...

Thanks guys. Im glad I asked I was thinking it would be as easy as taking old one off and putting new one on.

I will probably buy a new intake unless I can find one locally from someone trusted so I will for sure get what Im paying for...

you can get a nice used one LS1tech.com for around $325-350 shipped, just make sure you see some pics of it and the part number. Once you get it, you will need new gaskets as well, get those from Autozone, way cheaper than the dealer.

Bill

I take it this is supposed to represent a 6 speed car? Because on my A4 Z28 with 3:73s, 3rd gear tops out about 124 at 6200 rpms, give or take a little. Cruising in my car at about 70mph, 2200 rpms in 4th is about where I'm at.

that is correct the gearing for the automatic is

for the M6 it's

also i wasn't sure on tire size so i just used 26"