bicycle shops?

evan9381

only one i know of is in gahanna. anyone reccomend any others? i got a free road bike, i think the brand says "giant", and i would like to get new tires, brakes, and see what else it needs done so i can ride it a bit this summer. need to see if its going to be worth it for me to spend the $$ to fix it, or if its just a junk bike, hence the reason i got it for free.

its a road bike. i just went out, and it the model says "RS 900", and a half ass measure of the up bar shows it to be a 21" bike. quick google search shows its from 88-93, but not much.

i just want to see if i can get it fixed up cheap enough to ride it to work a couple times a week. theres a bike trail < 1/8 mile from the house i just bought, and it runs right across the street from my work...probably on the trail for 5-6 miles each way

It sounds promising! I would take it over to Performance Bikes, have them do a seasonal tune up, and there you will find tires and everything you will need for a good price. The people there are very knowledgeable and always have some cute girls working there :)

only one i know of is in gahanna. anyone reccomend any others? i got a free road bike, i think the brand says "giant", and i would like to get new tires, brakes, and see what else it needs done so i can ride it a bit this summer. need to see if its going to be worth it for me to spend the $$ to fix it, or if its just a junk bike, hence the reason i got it for free.

You are probably looking at roughly $100 to get it tuned up(~40) and the other things it needs. I would say bring it up to me but it is a little far away.

I would say take it to A Gear Higher but they Shut down the owner now does a one site repair service. will come to you and give you a estimate depending on what needs done will take it back to his home shop and bring it back to you. If you want his info let me know I can look it up.

Cycle place on 33 fixes our 'patrol' bikes :p

there is Cyclist Connection off 33 in Canal. Great place. One of my best friends is the manager and i've known the owner for something like 8 years. They're very upfront and honest about questions and stuff.

look em up

ill check out the performance bikes place in dublin.

if it ends up being too much, i might just buy a cheap road bike at wally world. im not looking for anything professional, just something to ride to work a couple times a week and maybe take up to mt vernon to ride the kokosing trail

There is a place on Indianola right before Hudson going north' date=' I think they sell used bikes but I have no clue if they do repairs also. Might be worth checking out though.[/quote']

Once Ridden Bikes.... Yeah my firm was doing thier fire restoration. Dont know if theyre back open

baer wheels off of high N of lane will do you right. i grew up and gahanna and cycled all my life....the guys and girls at bike one will treat you right. get to know one of the mechanics, and tell him you will dirctley if he will show you the ropes...

If your not doing serious riding, just go get you some parts from walmart. Theres the cyclist connection off 33, a few places around campus, berrys barbell in whitehall deals with bikes and I believe theres one on hamilton just south of main.

Cyclist connection is the place to go. The guys that work there are awesome and they are amazing at what they do.

so

searching around online, ive come to the conclusion this bike was maybe $150 in its prime, 20 years ago...

went to 2 shops tonight, got basically the same thing...tune up, wheel needs trued, new tires (dry rot), tubes, both shops said right around $100, give or take.

so if its a cheap bike thats gonna cost me $100 to get decent, and still look like shit, i think i might just end up spending another $125 and get something from wally world or target, that looks decent and much newer. like i said, itll be for casual riding, so im not going to drop major coin now. if i get into it and maybe next summer want to step up, ill do it then...i have this issue where i get into a hobbie and i drop a shitload of $$ on good/great products/parts, then my intrest fades away 6 months later. ill come to my senses ahead of time with this and save money and upgrade later if i feel the need to.

so

searching around online, ive come to the conclusion this bike was maybe $150 in its prime, 20 years ago...

went to 2 shops tonight, got basically the same thing...tune up, wheel needs trued, new tires (dry rot), tubes, both shops said right around $100, give or take.

so if its a cheap bike thats gonna cost me $100 to get decent, and still look like shit, i think i might just end up spending another $125 and get something from wally world or target, that looks decent and much newer. like i said, itll be for casual riding, so im not going to drop major coin now. if i get into it and maybe next summer want to step up, ill do it then...i have this issue where i get into a hobbie and i drop a shitload of $$ on good/great products/parts, then my intrest fades away 6 months later. ill come to my senses ahead of time with this and save money and upgrade later if i feel the need to.

Go in with cash and cash only then for however much you want to spend. You won't get a 'real' road bike for that much, but you can get a real bike for that much, put together by real bike mechanics, from any bike shop around here. You will get something that doesn't work and breaks in less than six months (if you actually use it at all) from wally world or target*. You'll end up either having to tune the bike up yourself, or pay that same shop to tune it up.

*Target 'carries' a brand called Forge, you can only get them online and Target never touches them (last time I heard) drop shipped from Forge. A little assembly required. They are great bikes for the price.

http://www.target.com/Forge-Bikes-Sports/b/ref=sc_fe_l_2/189-1996339-2666226?ie=UTF8&node=125446011

Either that or you can not listen to my advice again and set yourself up for being 'bored' with it in six months, or disappointed with your purchase because it doesn't work.

Otherwise, go to a real bike store.

someone on another forum said this would be something decent to get, and its <$400 shipped.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt1000.htm

opinions?

i also hit up a couple used shops near campus and found one for $279 and another for $389, but they both had the wierd old paddle-ish shifters...one had it on the down tube, the other by the handlebars, which would have been a little easier.

they were both 54cm though, and i think it was a hair too small for me, i think im gonna need a 58cm (5'11, 32" inseam)