FML - A Jeep story

TheHaze

After a grueling evening of finishing up a research paper, I had little sleep in preparation for work today. I wake up late and frantically hop in the mammoth Jeep to head on my way. I travel about a mile or so away from home, when I feel a little wobble and decide to slow. Suddenly, the Jeep drops a few inches on the driver's side and I think "Shite, a flat tire on my way to work." I begin to pull to the ditch on the side of the road and eventually come to a stop, only something was wrong. As I halt, an aluminum wheel wrapped in a rather large mud tire travels past my now-crippled Wrangler. I ponder "Hmm, that's rather odd."

Somehow, all 5 lug nuts had come loose and I was only able to retrieve one. I did not have my jack with me, so I had to wait an hour for a tow. I have used donor lug nuts from the other wheels and my spare until I get to the store to buy more and torque them down. The caliper, pad and rotor seem unaffected but I'm still a bit worried that something more was damaged. :mad:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/mikehaze_2006/PIC_0004.jpg

I just went out to take the wheel off and inspect everything. Looks like it was wobbling loose for some time because the lug holes in the wheel have been ground down in to an egg shape. :(

I think one of the lug bolts may be slightly bent as well.

more like proof somebody forgot to tighten the wheel bolts moron

I agree. I've only had it for around 6 months. I just got a set of all new lug nuts because the previous ones also were too short. :mad:

FML Round 2: My torque wrench will not function correctly so I had to go buy a new one. :(

Have you pissed anyone off lately. My brother set a guys car on fire once and in retaliation the guy loosened all my brothers lugs off a front tire on his Iroc Z and he ended up having a minor accident...

You never know...

Damn dude.....sounds like the heavens are telling you to have kept the Mini. Glad it ended rather safely. At least compared to what could have happened.

Also, check the white balance setting on your camera. Looks like you have it set incorrectly.

Damn dude.....sounds like the heavens are telling you to have kept the Mini. Glad it ended rather safely. At least compared to what could have happened.

Also, check the white balance setting on your camera. Looks like you have it set incorrectly.

I know, but it was my cell phone and I was trying to get the picture before getting hit. :(

wow man, be lucky it wasn't one of ur rear wheels and that it didn't happen on the highway

I'm grateful for this, however, I'm paranoid as hell right now. I just finished up swapping on the new lug nuts all around, and torqued them all to spec. I think my ears, eyes and sense of shake is a little sensitive right now, because I keep checking all the wheels thinking it's shaking too much or that I heard something suspicious. I'm gonna freak out when driving on 315 on Monday.

If you want to eliminate all doubt, replace the actual studs. My 240k dakota has original studs on it and and they like to spit a lugnut occassionally. Never all 6 or anything though.

Well at least it wasn't too bad. Last week my cousin whas heading down the highway when it seems like all 5 lug bolts snapped on his passenger side front. He said it jumpped about 6 foot in the air after the tire came off and it dropped. The rotor, caliper, and pads were destroyed. He is taking it into a shop today to see if there is anything else wrong.

After a grueling evening of finishing up a research paper, I had little sleep in preparation for work today. I wake up late and frantically hop in the mammoth Jeep to head on my way. I travel about a mile or so away from home, when I feel a little wobble and decide to slow. Suddenly, the Jeep drops a few inches on the driver's side and I think "Shite, a flat tire on my way to work." I begin to pull to the ditch on the side of the road and eventually come to a stop, only something was wrong. As I halt, an aluminum wheel wrapped in a rather large mud tire travels past my now-crippled Wrangler. I ponder "Hmm, that's rather odd."

Somehow, all 5 lug nuts had come loose and I was only able to retrieve one. I did not have my jack with me, so I had to wait an hour for a tow. I have used donor lug nuts from the other wheels and my spare until I get to the store to buy more and torque them down. The caliper, pad and rotor seem unaffected but I'm still a bit worried that something more was damaged. :mad:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/mikehaze_2006/PIC_0004.jpg

:lol: Given that you're okay and not too much damage was done, that's funny! I had the same thing happen to me on my way up to Norwalk on summer to race. The car got really loud and wobbly and I thought SHIT a flat. But nope, 3 of my 5 lug nuts flew off and 1 of my wheel studs was broken. :( I replaced all 5 wheel studs just to be safe. Now I'm super paranoid when it comes to torquing down the lug nuts.

:lol: Given that you're okay and not too much damage was done, that's funny! I had the same thing happen to me on my way up to Norwalk on summer to race. The car got really loud and wobbly and I thought SHIT a flat. But nope, 3 of my 5 lug nuts flew off and 1 of my wheel studs was broken. :( I replaced all 5 wheel studs just to be safe. Now I'm super paranoid when it comes to torquing down the lug nuts.

Why did you quote him? Are you afraid your post may have ended up in another thread and people would have no idea what your talking about?:cool:

Why did you quote him? Are you afraid your post may have ended up in another thread and people would have no idea what your talking about?:cool:

Because I wanted to put the emphasis on the part where his tire went rolling by him. That's why I quoted him and put that part in BOLD. Jeeeze, those drugs really got a hold on you huh. Don’t be doin’ drugs while on CR, shits is for real here! :p

Replace everything there that might even have a chance of being damaged, all the studs, lugnuts (on every wheel too if you want to be extra safe) and if the holes on the wheel really are worn, replace that wheel too. You got lucky, don't leave this to chance again.