Stolen car found on Craigslist - Help

ForeverMaker

Anyone have any experience with this?

I was looking on craigslist today and happened to find my co-workers car that was stolen in the fall. He made a police report and never heard anything.

The current owner bought it at the police impound auction as a theft recovery and received an impound salvage title... and now it is on craigslist.

Does he have any recourse though the city? Or is he screwed? He has the original title and keys in hand.

For a auction house to sell a car, they need to send so many certified letters to the owner prior to selling the car. There are alot of notifications and hoops to go through. The process takes months sometimes. Only after all attempts have been made to contact the owner, are they allowed to apply for a title and sell it at auction. Is he sure its the car?

I had to pick up my car at the car jail once and HOLY SHIT that was a hike to retrieve said car.

They have thousands of cars out there. I wouldnt mid getting in on something like that.

Got a link to the Craigslist add?

It takes 30 days to claim a title. 1 certified letter is required to be sent to the last known address of the owner. If the letter is responded to, the owner has 15 days from the date of response to claim the car. If the letter is not responded to within the period of 1 month, who holds the car has the right to claim title.

Not all CPD are bad by any means. I know a really good guy that lives next to me... always complaining because he can't seem to keep his black truck spotless, ha-ha.

At any rate... maybe getting that car back does sound hopeless. That is shitty.

I know a really cool CPD officer, dude loves his job. He would write his own mother a ticket!

One day I was coming home on 670 and I was doing like 75 and I looked in my rear view mirror and there was a CPD cruiser. I was like oh dammit! Got over and the cruiser passes me and it is the female Special Duty officer that was working at the bookstore, she waved as she went by and was laughing. We talked the next day, I have met some pretty cool CPD working Special Duty for us.