Any suggestions on professional movers?

Nitrousbird

I will need a professional mover on the 27th. About a 1/2 hour drive to our new place. Getting everything into the new place will be cake. Getting everything out of the condo will be a whore.

We want pros to do it, big stuff ONLY. Will need two beds moved (twin and a king), couple large dressers, heavy glass dining room table, 2 couches and sofa-chair, fridge, stove moved down (and a different set moved up, I will have in the garage, as we are swapping applicances to our new home), 1/3 size chest freeze, and that's about it...we can easily move the rest. No electronics to move or other valuables.

I'd do it myself, but it is 1.5 flights of PITA stairs that isn't worth dealiing with. Licesensed, bonded, and insured, and will cover the cost of any damage while moving.

Suggestions? Will need on the 27th. I will be making some calls this afternoon, but if anyone has some place to recommend. We want to do this as cheaply as possible.

I used Leaders Moving Company. They did a good job and they charge by the item so you know exactly what the rate is going to be beforehand.

I have also used Leaders, decent rates, and knowing the rate beforehand is helpful.

Two Men and a Truck had a deal about two years ago where you could rent your own U-haul truck, and you could call them and they would load it for you.

We used it when we had to move out of an apartment and I had to work. Trish said they were really fast and we had no issues with breakages.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but it might be something to consider.

Leaders and Two Men in a Truck were uber expensive...about $200-300 more than everyone else.

really? we used Leaders, but it was 12yrs back and I remember they were a great value. two men and a truck moved my wife's office a few years back and they too were good. not sure what to think.

$200-$300 Seems like cheap insurance for a quality move.

Insurance is insurance, as long as it covers stuff. We aren't having them move that much, and everything we are moving is easily replaceable.

If it wasn't for the stairs here, I'd be moving everything myself. The stairs are a royal bitch. That's why they are only moving big stuff, and nothing more. Otherwise, it is getting strapped to my trailer or going in my truck.

Two Men and a Truck moved me from WV to NC and we had an assload of stuff stolen.

Mills Van Lines moved me from Dayton to the Pittsburgh area and they were awesome. NOTHING stolen and the one item they broke was taken care of as soon as I reported it.

Insurance is insurance, as long as it covers stuff. We aren't having them move that much, and everything we are moving is easily replaceable.

If it wasn't for the stairs here, I'd be moving everything myself. The stairs are a royal bitch. That's why they are only moving big stuff, and nothing more. Otherwise, it is getting strapped to my trailer or going in my truck.

Stop being a bitch.

i'm moving all my shit again in 2 months by myself again. i could pay for movers, but with moving 4 cars, i'd rather save the money.

you'd be absolutely amazed how easy stairs can be managed with a quality appliance dolley. i have a cheap one from harbor freight, and it works wonders. i can move just about anything by myself with zero assistance---dressers, armours, washer dryer, etc. etc. i don't have any steps, but honestly with one person's help you should be fine.

one more option that would be easy and cheap::: go to uhaul.com and look into renting a uhaul truck. they will ask you if you need boxes, dolleys, padding, as well as loading/unloading help. you could hire a company to help you load the uhaul, and then do the unloading at your new place by yourself

you'd be absolutely amazed how easy stairs can be managed with a quality appliance dolley. i have a cheap one from harbor freight, and it works wonders. i can move just about anything by myself with zero assistance---dressers, armours, washer dryer, etc. etc. i don't have any steps, but honestly with one person's help you should be fine.

You haven't seen these steps.

My wife bought the fridge and stove seperately (stove came last)...the delivery people asked if she bought the fridge from them. When she responded "no" their response was "thank you." These are people that do the moving for a living.

They aren't bad to live with just going up/down, but moving stuff is a big PITA.

At this point, high $200's, low $300's is low enough that I'm not going to waste too much more time finding other options.