FMIC...top mount? Meet the new Top mount intercooler

BIGGU

Haha, this guy is 100% serious about this product too which is the sad part.

http://www.astrayracing.com/intercooler.htm

http://www.astrayracing.com/assets/wadestraight.jpg

http://www.astrayracing.com/assets/ichood.jpg

Don't have the time to write paragraphs like you do.. so i'll be short.

my questions are real questions. i do think of it as silly and stupid, but please dont take these questions as im knockin you cause i dont like bashing on others business. More for me to understand you reasoning and why you think it works better. Legitimate Questions that im sure most consumers will want to ask.

1. Do you have the research behind your claims that this is less prone to heat soaking then say a normal FMIC setup or the Vmount setups?

What part of your design makes it less prone?

To me the intercooler piping is still in the engine bay so that means its still subjected to the same temps as FMIC, yes there is less piping, but that also allows heat to transfer into the piping faster thus leaving them the same heat. The intercooler is not in the engine bay as Vmounts are, but less then a FMIC. The Vmount core might heat soak more then yours, but this also partly in the bay which is subject to heat transfers. FMIC seems the least vulnerable to heat soak out of the three choices. piping heat soak i would think would be less of a concern then core soak, the air entering an engine at operating speeds will not sit still in the piping long enough to transfer alot of heat into it, if your core is efficent and cooling good then you should not be seeing a drastic increase in IAT from before the core and after it. You are also setting that core awfully close to the top of the radiator which will transfer a good amount of heat up to that core, 180-220deg blowing directly to the bottom of the core and lack of air flow under there might build up quite a heat zone.

V-mounts sit just as close to the rad as ours, just not inside the engine bay where stagnate air is, when sitting in staging. People that put intercoolers way closer such as directly in front of the rad. I thought it was only 179.659 degrees?

2. What are your IAT's like on similar setups v.s. FMIC or Vmounts, do you have any data to back up that it will keep your IAT's lower and for how long and by how much?

IAT's ?????

Is there any data from other FMIC's and Vmounts for the public that you can look up??? I'm sure, YOU can.

3. have you done air flow tests to see how much air is actually passing through the core and not flowing around it, either to its sides or over it? with out anything to contain the airflow i would think that air would take the path of least resistance which im my mind would be to go over top of the core or to the sides, not through it, especially with a dense garrett core. Fmic and Vmounts both utilize ducting some more then others to guide the air into and through the cores. Vmounts are generally ducted better then FMIC because the people building them normally take it more into consideration. It looks as though that hood your using might even aid in the air flowing over the core instead of into it.the hood as a lip as it comes to the bottom of the core which can get the air moving in a vertical direction and allowing it to pass right over it.

We don't own a wind tunnel. Do you? I'm willing to bring it down for a test if so. I haven't seen too many front mounts with ducting so it goes into the core more, just front bumpers blocking them.

4. Have you thought about aesthetics? honestly you couldn't pay me to have a IC sticking up out of my hood like that. Not trying to be a dick, but that just couldn't happen on my car. as much as i like function over form in high performance cars there are certain things i will take form over function and this would be one of those. The packaging and aesthetics of any product can make or brake an idea, and i think this is the major hurdle for this. Also have you taken into consideration the strength of the mounting points if this car was in a severe crash will it come flying off the hood and implant it into another vehicle or pedestrian?

Aesthetics, to each as own. Yes its very secure.

People can nit pick about any car part. BUT for this IC you have to look at it as a whole.

1. It is more responsive than any traditional IC.

2. less prone to heat soak

3. I can keep my front bumper support and wreck into anything I want to and have a running engine unless the rad gets damaged

4. Piping does't blow off

5. No battery relocation

6. Direct air, no blockage (we have ducting for the IC, but average buyer doesn't put time into research;therefore, they would think it doesn't work.)

7. Each IC is pressure tested for 10 min straight, and is certified by us. When was the last IC kit you bought come with result papers??

8. Best quality materials we can find right now.

9. Manufacture in the USA GO USA!!

10. You and everyone's mom isn't running an intercooler like this one.

11.You get complete IC kit with hood

http://astrayracing.com/why.htm

Thanks for the post, i'm glad we have engineers and scientists on this forum. But in all seriousness, if people care so much about temp degrees, angles and such.... Why do like 90% of consumers buy cheap ebay intercoolers????

We are not trying to change the word of intercoolers, we are just making an IC that is simple and makes the most sense.

discuss how stupid this is.

Seriously he makes a a point about not loosing his front core support and all, but how about the thing breaking off and comming through the glass!!

i wish i could be that stupid and get through life that easy!!

i might go on tDre said "here and flame all the haters. do what you like, like what you do....

Dre said - "Y'all are gonna keep fuckin' around with me. And turn me back to the old me."

tell them to put their flae suits on....