Fun times at the track tonight

DKilbourne

Well, had some fun with the Mickey DR's last night. I put a SPEC 3 clutch in the car since last visit and got a good deal on some tires, so I decided to try them out. First pass I attempted to slip the clutch at 3000 rpm. It starting to move, then fell on its face. Went 12.14@118. First gear was a joke after the bog. The tires grabbed like hell hitting 2nd though :). Second pass tried 3500 rpm. Same crap. Started to move, then it bogged down and went 12.12@116. Keep in mind I ran a 12.12@119 on sumitomo radials at trails last year. Next pass I brought it up to 4000 and tried to slip it again and this time it started to roll out a little, then it bogged big time and the 60' was a 2.21. I think it was a 12.5x pass. After not having any luck trying to slip it out, key word was TRYING to slip it out, I decided to try an almost side step at 3800 rpm. Let's just say the car moved about 3 feet. Driver's side halfshaft is nice and floppy on the outside now. I had a much easier time slipping the stock clutch before and now once I get another shaft put in, I have to figure out where to bring this thing out to get it rolling without bogging the shit out of it. There is what feels like zero slip ability with this clutch, but it holds like crazy when hitting gears. Someone please talk me out of trading for a solid axle right now. All in all it was a nice little bit of testing and tuning for me.

When I had the 3650 with a spec III clutch I would slip it from 4500 making about 4-5psi.

I would get 1.6-1.7 60's.

I was debating whether or not to try to slip higher or do what I did. Stupid aluminum flywheel and no inertia makes it fun to try and slip and not bog. I guess I know what not to do with the IRS now :)

bahhh 6k...

get a solid and your car can launch like this 10 passes in a row

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Turborust/?action=view&current=DereksRun.flv

Tried that with the IRS and I think I moved 3 feet, possibly less. It was funny when the guy at the line looked at me as I put the window down and took my helmet off. He asked me if I broke. I just laughed and said yes. I was thinking to myself "Why would I still be sitting at the starting line if everything was fine?" AAA saved me some money again. I guess it's worth it, unless you have your own trailor.

I was debating whether or not to try to slip higher or do what I did. Stupid aluminum flywheel and no inertia makes it fun to try and slip and not bog. I guess I know what not to do with the IRS now :)

I had an aluminum flywheel also.

Guest Removed
Stupid aluminum flywheel and no inertia makes it fun to try and slip and not bog. I guess I know what not to do with the IRS now :)

irs diff sell to lsone'd here, and go solid. i can set you up with a bullet proof 9". and i hate aluminum fylwheels...steel FTW! may be good in road racing, btu i hated some of the ones i have had in drag racing and even had issue's with one in street driving...

IRS sucks. After seeing 3 of those things blow up at the track, I said fuck it, solid time.

what he said...just make sure to get the bolts tight..lol sorry kurt had too :p

irs diff sell to lsone'd here, and go solid. i can set you up with a bullet proof 9". and i hate aluminum fylwheels...steel FTW! may be good in road racing, btu i hated some of the ones i have had in drag racing and even had issue's with one in street driving...

what he said...just make sure to get the bolts tight..lol sorry kurt had too :p

If I do go solid, it will be an 8.8. I can make one plenty strong enough and it will bolt right in with no modifications. I've decided to run the IRS for now, but we'll see how long that lasts :).