thinking about starting performance work

sprayin77

we have been working on our own cars for many of years. we all pretty much like the f body's and corvettes also mustangs. we are considering starting to add a performance shop in with all the stuff we already do. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are. certified mechanics and all that good stuff, we have. Edited by sprayin77

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am just kicking around ideas here im not tryin to take anyones work. Im just kicking it around to see how many people are out there that need work done. there is only 1 shop even close to where i am located so i highly doubt that we would take anyones work.

Don't really see a problem with him posting his thoughts up.

As Stallion posted, it might be hard with Gearheadz, IPS, etc. around this area who all do work on F-Body cars and Vettes. In theory it's an awesome idea, but it will be a long hard road to get your name out there and make money off of it.

Just my $0.02. ;)

As Stallion posted, it might be hard with Gearheadz, IPS, etc. around this area who all do work on F-Body cars and Vettes. In theory it's an awesome idea, but it will be a long hard road to get your name out there and make money off of it.

kinda what i was getting at i just didnt put it into words. thanks.

tom

thats cool thats the only reason i posted this just to get some input on it. im not trying to get any work off of here by any means. we have alot of other stuff going on. we tow,transport cars ,collision repair. Not trying to take anyones work at all just seeing what everyone has to say about the thoughts. we are not trying to get rich off of it by any means. Plus i figured we are so far away from all the other shops that we wont hurt anyones business.

thanks alot. we couldnt compete and arent trying to compete with ips or gearheadz. or any other shop. thanks for everyones thoughts.

I wouldn't say that at all. There is a segment of the market that will go just about anywhere for the right price. If you have enough going on in your other endeavors that you don't need to be profitable right out of the gate doing performance work then advertise bottom-dollar rates and you will get work in the door :) It may or may not be work you want but that is part of the game.

On a side-note, most sports-car owners tend to be very meticulous with who they trust with their cars so most are willing to drive/transport quite a distance. I would say a solid 60% or more of our cars come from out of state. It is nothing for someone living 2 hours south to drive to Columbus (Or vice-versa) if they really feel comfortable with a shop. In other words, looking at it like you are the only shop in your specific area really isn't a big factor in this industry like it is with towing and body work where typically whoever is closest is going to get the work. Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

I wouldn't say that at all. There is a segment of the market that will go just about anywhere for the right price. If you have enough going on in your other endeavors that you don't need to be profitable right out of the gate doing performance work then advertise bottom-dollar rates and you will get work in the door :) It may or may not be work you want but that is part of the game.

On a side-note, most sports-car owners tend to be very meticulous with who they trust with their cars so most are willing to drive/transport quite a distance. I would say a solid 60% or more of our cars come from out of state. It is nothing for someone living 2 hours south to drive to Columbus (Or vice-versa) if they really feel comfortable with a shop. In other words, looking at it like you are the only shop in your specific area really isn't a big factor in this industry like it is with towing and body work where typically whoever is closest is going to get the work. Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

Jeff speaks the truth. People with high-end cars typically have the funds and have done the research so they can take their cars anywhere they would desire. If you get your name out there and provide something that other shops don't (that's the key here, come up with something new and innovative that other places don't have), then you will be off to a good start.

That's the nice thing about being an online retailer is that I don't have to worry about shipping cars around, rather just parts. :)

It seems like lots of people are wanting to open up shops recently. I could write something up to explain how i feel, but i believe i have a song that can do a better job that i can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZsMrzKfWzo

While its a funny song, I really do think it sums up how I feel about trying to open up a performance shop right now.

One more word of advice -- find a niche market and exploit it. Going in saying you want to get into the f-body / mustang market is what every back-yard mechanic and small shop in the city knows. Not saying to go after a different segment, but go after a niche inside one of them possibly. Make yourself a "Go-to" place for anything and it is easy to grow a loyal customer base from there :) You could start with something all-together new but if you don't know it well that might not work. Read Brian's thread about what car-group there isn't a "Go to" shop for right now and pull from that.

Jeff

thanks alot jeff i appreciate it. i understand that high end cars someone would rather take there zr1 or newer z06 to you guys just by seeing what you have done with them i would do the same. We are already wowing some at the trails with our camaro that we have built. Its running 10's right now soon to be low 9's. we are thinking lower end like camaro's gto's pretty much ls1 stuff. after doing camaro's for over 10 years that is really what we know. we are just thinking of doing like bottom dollar rates on stuff like heads and cam swaps and pretty much bolt on stuff for now. just stuff that everyday people dont think they can do. Im in no way feeling comfortable enough to go tearing down someones c6 or c5 vette. I also understand what you are saying on that people will travel to the place that they trust. By beeing at your shop and seeing it you have a great looking shop. how much do you want for that fast lsx you have on your shelf? lol ALso any input on where to get the performance parts for wholesale?

One more word of advice -- find a niche market and exploit it. Going in saying you want to get into the f-body / mustang market is what every back-yard mechanic and small shop in the city knows. Not saying to go after a different segment, but go after a niche inside one of them possibly. Make yourself a "Go-to" place for anything and it is easy to grow a loyal customer base from there :) You could start with something all-together new but if you don't know it well that might not work. Read Brian's thread about what car-group there isn't a "Go to" shop for right now and pull from that.

Jeff

Sounds familiar. If I remember correctly you guys started off with imports and now........:)

thanks alot jeff i appreciate it. By beeing at your shop and seeing it you have a great looking shop. how much do you want for that fast lsx you have on your shelf? lol ALso any input on where to get the performance parts for wholesale?

I will give you a call on Tuesday (We are off Monday) and discuss a few things with you. Anybody can get a wholesale account set-up and buy from a wholesaler. That does get you a discount but unfortunately it doesn't make you competitive. With Jegs up the road you have to go direct with as many manufacturers as possible which = $$$

I tossed around the idea of going after more of the business on here but we are just too busy as it is right now. Might consider it down the road but not right now so I have no problem helping you out. Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition :)

Jeff