Tire plugging?

Putty

So I have a set of Z rated 30 series tires I run in summer months. Oddly one is flat. I pumped it and noticed a crack, if you will, on the corner, that is releasing air pretty good. Not the side or the thread..the corner. I slid a plug in it. It's holding air, but is it safe?

They say you shouldn't put plugs in Z-rated tires, but I probably would do the same. If you want someone to put a plug in it, post the area you're around or go to Derek at NTB. I could patch/plug it in Hilliard.

If it is not "In the tread" technically you should not plug it for fear of tearing the sidewall and making it worse/ it not working at all.

On the other hand, I did plug a LT tire on a work van probably in the same place you are talking about and i have not heard otherwise from the guy and i see him almost every day.... If it goes flat, new tire, if not....meh, don't do Z rated speeds lol.

I plugged it and it is holding air. I have not put them on the car yet. I didnt want to bother if it was not safe. I don't do Z rated speeds, so that isn't an issue. I just dont want the hassle of it going flat and needing a tow.....at the wrong damn time. I don't feel like buying a new tire at the moment...before you ask.

I could not tell if it was dry rot. How the hell else does a tire crack? These tires/rims sit all winter long and I switch in the summer. I've never seen such a thing. A damn crack.

Tires crack from dry rot, defect, or just pain old junk. I don't trust cracks, how many tire caps do you see laying along side the road? They aren't all from big trucks.

yep....they just ran a story on the news about old tires being kept and sold in inventories. Shelf life they say is like 5yrs.

personally, I wouldn't run it at all. especially since you're carrying more precious cargo than just your butt. ;) BTW....post some pics of the cargo daddy. enjoy those moments.

a tire is probably cheaper than the new rim you'll eat up crusing 70 down the highway. if you had a nail in the edge and it was a puncture I'd tell you to plug it and forget it. but cuts/slits/cracks are bad, they just spread.