Old Mans Cave/ Hocking Hills question

LJ

So the GF and I are going camping at the end of June and we are planning on going to the old mans cave area. Basically we want to spend a day hiking and going to the caves down there, and then the other day we are there we are going to do a canoe trip from the Livery down there.

Now the question is, we don't want to camp in a campground that is just small camping spots right next to each other with really no privacy. The Old Mans Cave state park campground seems to look like this. Does anyone recommend a campground in that area? We are going to be tent camping and basically just want somewhere where we can be more than 10 yards from the next campsite.

my and my girl went down there last summer and the sites are super close to each other so we stayed at a camping site we usually camp out. But its in Canal so it's not super close, but no one ever fucks with you there. Let me know if your interested and I can find the name.

There are certain sites at old man's cave that are private, although they are often taken. I've been going there with family for years. There are plenty of other campgrounds along 664 on the way into the actual state park area you could look into, they don't offer the amenities of the state campground, but they are definitely more private.

There are certain sites at old man's cave that are private, although they are often taken. I've been going there with family for years. There are plenty of other campgrounds along 664 on the way into the actual state park area you could look into, they don't offer the amenities of the state campground, but they are definitely more private.

Someone told me to try Top O the Caves, know anything about that one?

I honestly don't remember what each one is like, I just know that I've driven by them for the past 10 years of my life about 20 times a year.

Your best bet is to just go out there some evening or weekend beforehand and check it out yourself. With the Lancaster bypass on 33 now it's not even a very long trip anymore. Probably right at an hour from Blacklick, and a nice drive anyway.

I have stayed at Top O the Caves once in the past, and they are pretty much not what you are looking for for tent camping. We booked there last minute one time and ended up in the very back of the tent camping area. The trails to get to our site actually went through other peoples sites. But in general it was a nice camp ground.

It is going to be hard to find a camp ground were they don't try to cram as many sites as possible into a small area. That is how they make there money and the more sites you can have means more money.

I have stayed at Top O the Caves once in the past, and they are pretty much not what you are looking for for tent camping. We booked there last minute one time and ended up in the very back of the tent camping area. The trails to get to our site actually went through other peoples sites. But in general it was a nice camp ground.

Second. I was just there this weekend - we didn't camp, just hung out with friends there and stayed in a hotel. We're not camping people. :)

well, from what I have heard Top O The Caves is the closest thing I am going to find. Is it all hike in or are there drive in sites that are still considered "primitive"? Cause if you can drive in like at Long's in Waverly, then I could just block off other people with the truck.

At Top O the Caves, you will not be able to drive into the tent camping area. The tent camping area is in a nicely wooded area and you have to carry all your supplies from the parking lot to the sites. It isn't that far though.