Reccommend some brake pads....

Dr. Apex

I am going to need new pads all around for the Mustang for Mid-Ohio in august. Anyone run up there before in a Stang that can reccommend me a decent pad that will last the weekend?? I need pads that can take the heat and keep going.

I've been looking at Hawk HP+ pads and had them on the Subaru last year up there, they did ok it seemed but that's a much lighter car. EBC yellow seems to be a near equivalent but I odn't know anyone that's run EBC before. PBR? I like Carbotechs but they're expensive.

Ben

HP+ was my recommendation, but its recommended as a street driven pad that you don't have to change to run the track on a VW GTI which weighs about 3100lbs. I imagine a mustang weighing more and your talent level will require a much higher temp rated pad.

Good luck

Guest Removed
wanna review the akebono street performance pads for me?.dust free, and race track proven stopping power. i'll hook you up just to get a review from someone that can road race these for me, and put them to the test.

I will put them through their paces for sure Rob, we were wearing out the Hawks last year on the Subie. I'll be calling you tomorrow anyway for the diff cover so we'll talk then.

BTW, they have rear pads too?

Ive run EBC Green, Red, and my yellows should be here tommorow. My lil EBC Review

Greens = Trash ... Ware very fast, and have tremendous amounts of brake dust, but have 1 hell of a stopping power. These brakes grab, but ware fast.

Reds = Good by my vote, low dust, pretty strong brakes, they seem like they have less bite than the greens (Put reds on the rear at the same time as the greens and there still good to go, when i put my yellows on ill let you know how much pad they have left after a year of DD / Abuse / Lots of brake boosting )

Yellows = Well see

a lot of guys like carbotechs but i've never ran those right now i got performance friction z rated pads because they were a lot cheaper thanks to NASA members discount. i've ran those pads for 5 full weekends plus all the normal driving i do with no squeeling little dust and they are not race pads so they don't eat the rotors.

NASA members get 20% off porterfield and hawk pads https://www.nasaproracing.com/benefits

and corollasport.com has the cheapest motul 600 $13

Edited by Rob

are you looking to get pads just for the weekends or for everyday use as well?

don't buy race pads and run them everyday there is no low dust race pad and the dust is corrosive. and they eat rotors.

if your going to go all out, go all out don't buy race pads and wonder why they ate your rotors. and all are pointless if you don't buy higher temp brake fluid.

you will not need anything close to the best race pad we are only running 20 minute sessions and the hottest i have seen my rotors is 500 degrees after the cooldown lap

and i've also never been able to fully brake coming off the straight i always catch up to someone.

i'll have my IR thermometer with me so we can see what temp your brakes are running at then use that to get an idea of what heat range brake pads you need.

http://www.seinesystems.com/Images/TiPaper.pdf

http://www.seinesystems.com/BrakeFluids.htm

http://www.seinesystems.com/Images/RedHotRotor.jpg

and supposedly to further help reduce heat transfer they make titanium inserts

http://www.seinesystems.com/BrakeFade-2.htm

but thats to much money so i'm using stainless that i got for free if you would like to experiment with it as well feel free to come over and get some.

Rob's posts are spot on.

I'd really push you to get a set of dedicated track pads with a car as heavy as yours and with that much HP. I can tell you from personal experience with tracking my M3 for several years (relatively the same HP/ weight as your car) that there's is no pad that does both street and track well. the HP+ pads will not be up to the task.

I'd look at Hawk HT-10's. They're cheaper now since they're an older compound that has been replaced by the DTC series but still very capable. They were my go-to pad for the M3. Some say they lack a bit of feel in modulation but that's such a small nit-pick. Your primary concern should be a pad that won't overheat and also fresh fluid that's up to the task as well.

On the EBC Yellow's. Maybe Smokey will chime in here but I've driven his E36 with the Yellow's and they were NOT good. We're pretty maticulous about our bedding procedure and they felt great on the street. First time we got heat in them at the track it felt like they glazed over and had no stopping power. No efforst could get this to go away. I've read of similar situations by many users of this pad and would stay away.

Andy

• Upvote 1

These pads will be for this weekend only so I plan on getting a good pad that won't glaze over, the Hawks never did and it may of been a combination of things with the rotors on the Subie but they just didn't seem to take the heat very well.

We had Carbotechs on the S2000, I loved them despite the massive amounts of dust they were great pads but when we looked into getting another set they were pricey.

I plan on if I have to, replace the rotors after the event but I'll have a spare set on me just in case though most everyone tells me the Mustangs stock brakes are stout but I won't take any chances with my brakes.

I am currently running the PBR ultimate pads. They have a fairly high initial bite and seem to take abuse and daily driving well. I don't think they would hold up as an actual track pad though. Normal dust and wear, not noisy either. I would be willing to purchase them again.

Andy and Rob are spot on. You'll want a dedicated set for the track. Plus swapping them out is a good way to force yourself to look over everything in the brake system and around the wheels before going to the track.

HT-10s or the DTC equivalent would be my hawk recommendation. The other brands Rob mentioned are also worth checking out, I just have the most of my experience hawk.

As for the EBC Yellows....the upside to them was that they did actually take the heat and resist fading. The downside was that other than that they're pretty much crap. I did finally get them hot and they would stop quite well, but the feel, consistency, and modulation was crap. I'd take a pass on these bad boys. I guess the other upside to them was that they were the most "livable" on the street (the drive from my place to the track) in terms of cold temp stopping. They dust like crazy though and I'd never use them as a street pad.