New Car New Paint

Main3s

So I just picked up a brand new 09 Impreza a few weeks ago. What are some things I should do on a regular basis to keep the paint, trim and interior in good condition? I wash it using a wool mitt so that I cut down on swirl marks from washing. Make sure I wash a section at a time…I feel that I’m cautious when it comes to the weekly washing but what else should I do? It’s my 1st brand new car and I want to make sure that it still looks that way in a few years. Thanks!

You can do a few different things.

use 2 buckets. One for the soapy water and one for "rinsing" the mit after using it on the car. In the "rinse" bucket pick up a grit guard (plastic thing that separates the grit that floats to the bottom from the rest of the water)

You should also use a different mit for the lower part of the car. Most cars have rub strips, so use one mit for below that. Obviously start at the top, and work down.

Most scratches are by pressing too hard on the mit, or using the wrong towels to dry. Get a few quality microfiber towels to dry the car with and don't press too hard.

Other than that, clay bar, a good polish or two and a good wax are in order. Oh and some mf polishing cloths.

you can have contaminants in the paint already.

you can get stuff from rail yards, or sitting on the lot, or a few different things.

new cars are usually shipped by rail or on a car carrier down the interstate.

might not be a bad idea to go ahead and clay bar it.

Thansk! Should I do the clay bar and polish now? I can't imagine that the paint is that dirty already.

you can have contaminants in the paint already.

you can get stuff from rail yards, or sitting on the lot, or a few different things.

new cars are usually shipped by rail or on a car carrier down the interstate.

might not be a bad idea to go ahead and clay bar it.

Yeah I agree. Make sure you wash the car first, then clay, then wash again, then wax. Remember to get those MF cloths and towels though. A clay and wax should only take a few hours. 3 tops if your alone.

All above are good ideas.

Here's a collection of how-to's (including washing/drying and claying) in the Auto Detailing Guide.

And congrats on the new wheels! :)

WOW this is a really good artical, I thought I had a good understanding of do's & don'ts when it came to washing a car, but wow, you learn something new everyday, thanks!

What about the trim and door seals. Do you recommend any products that treat them as well to avoid drying/ fading or cracking?