Anyone turn their own wrenches anymore?

Hwilli1647545487

As the title says. I noticed that these days we have all these little cliques as to what shops everyone supports. I remember when these types of forums were started they were to support enthusiasts trying to figure things out on their own.

Doesn't really seem like it is that way anymore.

So who still turns their own wrench?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed

I do...but to busy to fix my own shit..

and i dont think anyone here can't say i dont try to help everyone that posts in the tech section with their car. hell you can more then likely go thru every thread there, and find that 90% of them i help or what not. with giving the info they need, and even pics of the data and or the repair info. but most find its something above them, for the home person just cant do, then they are more advised on where to take it.

I've never brought any car I've owned to a shop before, not even when i swapped an engine in to one of my 240s from a few years back. Suspension, maintenance, troubleshooting and electrical work all should be done in the owner's garage. However, expensive specialty builds are probably best left to someone comfortable with the work.

i try to do as much as i can. perfect example last night my jetski sunk. literally. i had no idea what to do but cr did help me threw what i needed to do. i took there advised an steps an got the jet ski back up an runnning. i try to do most the work i can but im very limited with my time. tools, an knowledge. theres only so much i can do. plus somethings that are more complex are best left to pros.

I do what I have time for. Time is my biggest issue lately, it's always either work or class. In about year that should change :).

My comfort level stops when full-engine teardowns are necessary, largely because I've never needed to. Right now my Stealth needs an engine swap or rebuild, and I don't think a DOHC V6 interference motor is a good first try honestly. When the 318 in the truck kicks the bucket I might try my luck :), seeing as it's basically 1960s technology.

Guest Removed
I do everything on my car. I haven't had access to a lift for quite some time now, been doing it all on jackstands. 4th gen f-body engine and tranny swap on jackstands= PITA!

you didnt drill the bolt hole in your block..or tap it :p

or remove your trans dipstick anthony made me steal :o

I did my intake/downpipe/exhaust myself, usually I will only take it to a shop if there are special tools required that I don't have. I plan on doing the turbo upgrade, fuel pump, and front mount without the help of a shop.

Small stuff like exhaust/pipes/ and mods are good, but nothing that is going to take days, as I don't want to spend the time.

Anything other than a 1-2 hour project goes away. I tend to keep warranties on anything current though, so the dealer does the work while I drive one of their toys.

If and when I have free time, I like to spend it with my family....I dont have time and can afford not to do it myself. So why would I? I have had work done by 5 or so sponsors on this site. I like to spread all 6 vehicles around...