2000 svt lightning wont stay running

sprayin77

I have a 2000 ford lightning that will not stay running. We thought that we had a fuel pump issue, but we have changed both pumps and put in a new fuel filter and relays. It will start up and run for about 10 seconds. If you give it any gas at all it will die. Some times it will if you hit the gas but will run just for a little bit. It is losing fuel pressure on our gauge. Any one have a situation like this one and how can we fix it?

Guest Removed
sure you got a good seal on the tank for them pumps?

seal on the tanks wont matter one damn bit other then evap codes...that the only reason a tanks needs sealed other then leaks!

i called you..if you cant find that sensor..you might just be blind !

i'll try to swing out and take a look for you

Edited by Removed

might be a dumb question, but how much fuel do you have in it?

reason i say this, i ran out of gas in my beater this winter...never had a single problem with it...i walked to the gas staion (luckily right across the street), get a gallon of gas...would start up, but if i gave it the slightest hint of throttle, it died. kept doing this. i figured there wasnt enough gas and the pick up line was just barely getting enough.

well, i went and got 2 gallons the next time, put them in, fired right up, ran fine rest of the day, and no problems since.

just a thought.

This should be a returnless system.

As you have said, you checked fuel pressure. It is going down. The fuel pump increases volume based on demand. What is the voltage at the pump when pressure is going down? Is the voltage going down as well? If so ( and I suspect it will be the case), then either the system is telling the pump to send less fuel, or the power supply that drives the voltage for the pump has a problem (more likely). I am unfamiliar with the intricacies of how it works, but it could be a computer or relay issue. Good luck.

Guest Removed

As you have said, you checked fuel pressure. It is going down. The fuel pump increases volume based on demand. What is the voltage at the pump when pressure is going down? Is the voltage going down as well? If so ( and I suspect it will be the case), then either the system is telling the pump to send less fuel, or the power supply that drives the voltage for the pump has a problem (more likely). I am unfamiliar with the intricacies of how it works, but it could be a computer or relay issue. Good luck.

yes but see, ford varies the voltage via a wave form to control FP...i was telling jerry to look for the sensor on the rail, but he siad he didnt see it.

im thinking this could be the issue..kurt is going thru the same shit with his car.

oh and make sure there is fuel in it...i have seen this too many time laetly

Lightnings are return style.

Did you reuse the stock rubber lines and plastic Y in the tank? Also swap out the fuel filter for a Navigator unit just to be sure, its an upgrade and never a bad idea.

Guest Removed

Did you reuse the stock rubber lines and plastic Y in the tank? Also swap out the fuel filter for a Navigator unit just to be sure, its an upgrade and never a bad idea.

im dont think the later ones 2001 or so are returnstyle..

older ones yes they are return style.

From Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords

It was time to take the truck to the next level, and the only way we could do that was with a larger fuel system. Unlike other '99-up modular-powered Ford vehicles, the Lightning utilizes a return-style fuel system. That means the rails are fed fuel, and the injectors use only what they need with the unused gasoline returning to the fuel tank. The fuel rails have constant pressure due to a fuel-pressure regulator, which restricts the fuel flow from returning back to the tank. The fuel rails are pressurized to 39 psi in stock trim, and-more importantly-most fuel injectors are rated at that pressure. One trick to get more gasoline to the injectors is to raise the fuel pressure. A 60-pound injector's pressure increases when the fuel-rail pressure is greater than 39. Usually under boost, the fuel pressure jumps 1 psi per 1 psi of manifold boost.

Guest Removed
Did you check all of the relays and wiring to rule all of that out. There should be 2 relays for that pump if im not mistaken. Also it could be bleeding out from a connection in the tank once it pressurizes.

older ones had the eec relay and the pump relay...but i think this is just like the 99 up stangs where is has the voltage controller to modulate pump voltage as demand as needed. hence why i was trying to have him look for the sensor on the fuel rail. just like the cobras, that sensor goes bad, and no FP! those sensors are very sensitive, hell even dropping it on the shop floor will cause it to go bad.. ask kurt (kbond) how he found out. and with the mods this truck has, it could be electrical issue, but only way to know for sure is to start testing the system.

older ones had the eec relay and the pump relay...but i think this is just like the 99 up stangs where is has the voltage controller to modulate pump voltage as demand as needed. hence why i was trying to have him look for the sensor on the fuel rail. just like the cobras, that sensor goes bad, and no FP! those sensors are very sensitive, hell even dropping it on the shop floor will cause it to go bad.. ask kurt (kbond) how he found out. and with the mods this truck has, it could be electrical issue, but only way to know for sure is to start testing the system.

Lightnings are return.

Guest Removed
Lightnings are return.

i see...this now after looking in alldata..lmao :o

either way its a ford fuel system. not like i cant finger it out :D

guess we shall see monday