Sirius/XM adding "Fee" of $1.98 per month starting July 29, 2009

dakotart

Got an email (below) today. "Fee" increase of $1.98 for music royalty.

But, if you sign a long contract, you won't have to pay it until renewal.

(keep in mind, per their TOS, if they stop broadcasting, your prepayment is non-refundable)

This is in addition to the $2.99 increase in March for the internet radio.

$12.95 + 2.99 + 1.98 = Too much!

Dear RICHARD,

Thank you for being a SIRIUS subscriber. We are dedicated to providing our subscribers with the best programming and listener experience available on radio today. As part of this commitment, we have an important update regarding your SIRIUS subscription.

Music royalty rights were established by the U.S. Congress as part of the Copyright Act. This Act requires payment of copyright music royalties to recording artists, musicians and recording companies who hold copyrights in sound recordings.

These royalties have recently increased dramatically, principally as a result of a decision made by the Copyright Royalty Board, which is designated by the Library of Congress to set royalty rates for sound recordings. Beginning on July 29, 2009, a “U.S. Music Royalty Fee” of $1.98/month* for primary subscriptions and $.97/month* for multi-receiver subscriptions will be effective upon your next renewal. This fee will be used directly to offset increased payments from SIRIUS XM to the recording industry.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the Copyright Royalty Board's rate increase, but we can offer you ways to save on your subscription. The longer your subscription, the more you save!

do you have to sign a contract with sirius or XM. because if you did im sure you can get out of the fee by breach of contract.

I'm on a monthly plan because of the TOS. I don't want them to be able to keep my multi year prepayment if they decide to file for bankruptcy.

I dropped XM sometime ago. Remember....do not let your contract just "expire". I learned the hard way that their TOS has a clause allowing them to continue to charge you until like 45 days or something past the end of your contract.

stupid copyright crap.

when I used to work at Highlands pool we used to have the radio playing over the loudspeaker till one day when someone came by and reported us. Apparently since we were charging people to come to the pool and we were playing the music we were charging them to listen to the music and therefore needed to pay royaties.

We had to turn the radio off then. I was pissed.

I pay every 3 months. They haven't sent me anything, but I will pay the increase.

My unit died a couple days ago, and I've been suffering with Welfare Radio ever since. My god, it's more commercials than music. And it's the same dozen freaking songs. I tried that Bob and Tom crap...my god, it is horriable, and I gave it a good chance. Those guys couldn't be lamer if they tried.

I miss my Sirius, I need to get a new unit ASAP. Wife gets to enjoy her still, so at least I can listen in her car. :)

Guest tbutera2112
I pay every 3 months. They haven't sent me anything, but I will pay the increase.

My unit died a couple days ago, and I've been suffering with Welfare Radio ever since. My god, it's more commercials than music. And it's the same dozen freaking songs. I tried that Bob and Tom crap...my god, it is horriable, and I gave it a good chance. Those guys couldn't be lamer if they tried.

I miss my Sirius, I need to get a new unit ASAP. Wife gets to enjoy her still, so at least I can listen in her car. :)

i got a year subscription and my receiver died after 6months...i called and asked them if i buy a new receiver, can my subscription be transferred and they said no that its one per receiver....i was pissed, payed for a year, and it stopped working after 6 months and they wouldnt let me switch to a new receiver and wouldnt refund me....fuck them, ill listen to nothing before i ever give them another dime

i got a year subscription and my receiver died after 6months...i called and asked them if i buy a new receiver, can my subscription be transferred and they said no that its one per receiver....i was pissed, payed for a year, and it stopped working after 6 months and they wouldnt let me switch to a new receiver and wouldnt refund me....fuck them, ill listen to nothing before i ever give them another dime

Uhhh, they will transfer it without an issue. Been there, done that. No biggie at all.

anyone on here listen to bubba on howard 101 at 3pm ?????

Used to, and even went to Bubba-Pa-Looza in Cleveland last year (or whatever he was calling it).

Now that 4 of 5 days is a re-broadcast of his welfare radio show, I stopped listening. It is a watered down version of what it was.

Uhhh, they will transfer it without an issue. Been there, done that. No biggie at all.

When did you do this? Their current terms of service state that if the receiver dies during normal use they will not transfer a subscription to a new receiver. This is what keeps me from buying for longer than 3 months at a time.

When did you do this? Their current terms of service state that if the receiver dies during normal use they will not transfer a subscription to a new receiver. This is what keeps me from buying for longer than 3 months at a time.

I did it a few months ago, when my Sporster IR died, and had it transfered to my Sporster 5. No biggie at all.

Also did it at Christmas time from an original Sporster we had to the factory Sirus tuner I put in my wife's Audi. They switched it both times without an issue, and no fee to me whatsoever.