new pipe suggestions

jon_SV650

Now for Jager's bike. If you want to go ride his and then ride mine to get an idea on the difference yourself. The only thing that will not give you a good idea in the difference is I most likely have a little bit different gearing. Because I run a 15 47 sprocket combo. But it does depend on the gearing Jager has. Honestly like I have said before I have tried several different set ups on 2 gen SV's and they all seem about the same.

thanks to both of you for the offer... I have been doing some research/reading...im thinking at least for now a yosh trs full system and was going to get a k&n filter anyway, if i notice/feel it is running too lean I will get a PC once i get some extra $$

I do agree with you point with a dyno. Mine that I know of has not been dynoed. I know the maps from PC have been down loaded. You might be able to fine tune the fuel mixture to get the bike to run at a premium with a dyno. But how many people that are running a commuter, weekend warrior SV are going to be able to tell the difference? Maybe a track bike were .01 sec may count and running at near open throttle for long periods of time. My point is a PC III is in many cases and many applications on a SV overkill.

this is what i was thinking, I dont plan on doing any racing, I really just use it for rolling around in, going on rides etc...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know why I need to be an SV rider to know how things work. I've seen some serious track/race SVs out there and they all have been fine tuned for optimal performance.

Now you're saying you might be able to get a little more... My point is this - it isn't going to add hp with a PCIII... It may a little by simply tuning. BUT, that power curve is going to be smoother and better and more noticable.

Some people can't tell the difference between 5 hp increase and stock. But, you can tell when applied and put through the ringer. A well sorted WHATEVER motorcycle is going to be better than one that isn't.

Like Ninjanick stated, a slip-on is fine for that bike. But, stay away from the junk stuff. Buy something good and that will last a long time w/o issues. Otherwise, why not just guy that no-name crap off ebay?

I understand what your saying about the pipe and the power curve. But I also understand the Vtwin power of an SV is substantially different than a I4. And a PC would make a much more noticeable difference on a I4 than the SV twin. Sure a PC could make a noticeable difference on the track but not necessarily for a regular everyday rider. I also understand that there are SV's out there that have 50+k that have an exhaust on them and no PC without reliability issue.

I also agree a slip on would be plenty. I just don't think you need to spend an extra $250+ on a PCIII. It would be better spent on springs, emulators and oil to make up for poor quality suspension that a stock SV provides for you .

I was thinking about getting a new pipe for my bike with my tax returns and was just wondering what everyone's preferences or suggestions were...

Also wondering if you get any extra performance and if its worth the extra $$ to get a full system or just a slip-on.

Check the thread links

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?p=148192#post148192

Shit might be a strong word, but they aren't by any means great and there are WAY better choices out there.

PCs and Bazaaz units are the norm in the race world. With a good dyno guy, you can get some really good results. People that don't do PCs and those that do may not have differences in overall power, but I can guarantee that you can get the curve smoother and cleaner than w/o one... Full system - PC. But, what do I know? Jagr has all the answers cause SV forums tell him so.

Anyone read that there's a comet heading towards Earth that is going to wipe us out by 2010? The internet says so...:rolleyes:

I also read on the Internet that you are a fucking asshole and so far that's true. Not a personal attack, but an honest observation.

And I think you already used gixxer.com this month.

So 1 more time for the slow kid.

It's an SV. Its not a high performance bike Did anyone say race. NO!

I don't ever want to race. I don't ever want to do a track day.

If the OP does more power to him.

i am duct taping some paper towel tubes to the header and rigging my dell x50v to smooth out all those bumps it will cause

i am calling it plan hot bike

Then have lizard piss in your tank. Your sure to be a champion then. :badgerrock:

I also read on the Internet that you are a fucking asshole and so far that's true. Not a personal attack, but an honest observation.

And I think you already used gixxer.com this month.

So 1 more time for the slow kid.

It's an SV. Its not a high performance bike Did anyone say race. NO!

I don't ever want to race. I don't ever want to do a track day.

If the OP does more power to him.

Great, 3rd grade name calling tactics. Why do you dousche bags seem to think if it isn't race, it isn't worth listening to? Seriously...

First, if you want to ride something you've invested money in and get average to below average results, fine. Move along and do what your feelings direct you to.

For the guys that seemingly want it to be the best they can get, get the fucking thing dyno'd. I mean, if you are happy with slapping shit on and not caring about how it performs, why not just cut the baffle out to get the sound you want?

By the way, glad you can read and make assumptions like everyone else. Thank God you don't want to do track days, too. At least I'll be able to sleep better tonight.

Christ...

I knew you couldn't help yourself.

You want to help me understand it better? You guys claim a PCIII is a waste yet all of a sudden, we find out it is running a little rich. I mean, hell, who cares? He's a fucking street rider who likes to spend a few hundred bucks for a poor running bike. Why not, right?

There are those people out there (apparently you're not one of them) that put money into their stuff because they want performance and results. Guess telling them to buy decent parts and getting it set up and tuned properly is only for those that are hard core racers.

I hope the OP understands why it is in his best interest to not listen to guys that think 2 Bros is a great exhaust, that PCIIIs are stupid and that feel poor running bikes after spending hundreds of bucks is totally fine because they lack the ability to tell the difference...:rolleyes:

to be fair

if it were me and i was going to drop

800 on a full system

i would get the pc3 just so i could remap it.

but then i would want my bike to be running at its best and fix that darn jerk right at 2800 rpm

if i were only spending 120 on a clearance slip on i would forgo the pcIII

Edited by bigbluebird

to be fair

if it were me and i was going to drop

800 on a full system

i would get the pc3 just so i could remap it.

but then i would want my bike to be running at its best and fix that darn jerk right at 2800 rpm

You're gonna get bitch slapped by the anti-PCIII patrol!!! Why on earth would you even insist on doing such things? You should be ashamed!:p

I agree, but apparently, my approach is too harsh and unfriendly. Guess I need to be more kind and thoughtful of people's feelings.

And I think with a cheap slip-on, I'd forget about the PC, too. But, we were talking at a point where it was suggested that a 90hp to the ground SV doesn't need a PCIII. 90-95rwhp SVs are superbike builds and really need to be carrying a PC or Bazaaz unit.

But again, even a full system is really a time to get the thing running optimal. Street, track, back yard, whatever...

Took you long enough to respond. I figured it was probably lights out at the retirement home.

But really, I gotta ask. When you wake from your senior citizens 13 hour nap. Do you piss in your own face just to get your mood just that perfect shade of miserable?

Your act is getting a bit old.

LIZARDS LIST FOR TODAY.

1. shove my unyeilding opinions down some throat.

2. Call other peoples views uneducated.

3. Sing the blues when someone calls me out.

4. sell my used shit.

You can call me a d-bag all day. I could care less. And as far as me not taking race gear seriously, maybe you should look at the other side of that coin.

You want to help me understand it better? You guys claim a PCIII is a waste yet all of a sudden, we find out it is running a little rich. I mean, hell, who cares? He's a fucking street rider who likes to spend a few hundred bucks for a poor running bike. Why not, right?

There are those people out there (apparently you're not one of them) that put money into their stuff because they want performance and results. Guess telling them to buy decent parts and getting it set up and tuned properly is only for those that are hard core racers.

I hope the OP understands why it is in his best interest to not listen to guys that think 2 Bros is a great exhaust, that PCIIIs are stupid and that feel poor running bikes after spending hundreds of bucks is totally fine because they lack the ability to tell the difference...:rolleyes:

i am with you on this, i absolutely want my bike to be performing at its best. I just currently dont have the money to get a PCIII, but I will most likely be getting one once I have the cash for it. I'm just starting with exhaust...

Took you long enough to respond. I figured it was probably lights out at the retirement home.

But really, I gotta ask. When you wake from your senior citizens 13 hour nap. Do you piss in your own face just to get your mood just that perfect shade of miserable?

Your act is getting a bit old.

LIZARDS LIST FOR TODAY.

1. shove my unyeilding opinions down some throat.

2. Call other peoples views uneducated.

3. Sing the blues when someone calls me out.

4. sell my used shit.

You can call me a d-bag all day. I could care less. And as far as me not taking race gear seriously, maybe you should look at the other side of that coin.

Old I am. You got me. Would really suck to let all your boyfriends and emo buddies see an old guy tromp your ass riding your motorbike, wouldn't it? Your tactful and whit induced comments never cease to amaze...

Not shoving my opinion down anyone's throat, but I do like how you seem hell bent on mis information (90 hp SVs not needing PCs, etc) being thrown out there and the fact that you argue back constantly. Shove is a two way street, bud...

Tell me where your view is educated other than a cult forum of guys telling you what it should be like. Ever dyno your bike? The other guy said he hadn't. Bet you haven't either. Ever even ran a dyno yourself? How about how many bikes have you seen or worked on that you understand what happens when you tune them? Educate us on how educated you really are. Please. Once done, I will retract and apologize for calling you uneducated in your responses...

Who's called me out that causes me to apologize? If someone is right, I concede. You should try it...

Selling "used shit" is fine to do on a site is it not? Are you jealous that I have so much stuff to sell? I want to buy a new mountain bike. I'm not wealthy like you so, I have to sell one to get one. I have some apparel that needs to go to make money to buy tires. So, I sell to buy. It happens everyday.

Not sure what the reverse side of the race coin means. You probably are one of those folks that thinks I don't know anything about street and what goes on. Poor, poor boy (I'm an old man - that makes you a young boy) - you apparently are new here. Wanna street ride? Cool with me. Been riding since only 89 so I am not a veteran, but I've got some seat time... Racing is something that relates to street. But, you apparently have a complex that doesn't allow you to see that.

I'm done. I need to go to bed. Afterall, I'm old and I have to wake up and run tomorrow morning. You know - to stay in shape to keep up with you youngins. You probably should too - you probably have an XBox tournament to play in tomorrow while waiting for mom to get home so you can borrow the car to go to work...

i am with you on this, i absolutely want my bike to be performing at its best. I just currently dont have the money to get a PCIII, but I will most likely be getting one once I have the cash for it. I'm just starting with exhaust...

Sounds good. Good luck and sorry about the mess in this thread. If you ever need any help, just ask. I also would suggest checking out 35 Motorsports - one of OR sponsors. Reuben does a KICK ass job setting bikes up.

Have fun - that's a really great bike to ride.

Oh you got me good. So let me respond.

Yes, no, no. 36 left then 4 right the 15 left. Only on Tuesday. Yes old people must bathe too. The grassy knoll. 2nd gear sticks for me too and no your not too old to go straight.

Anything else ?

Oh yeah. Nighty night lizabeth.

Holy Cow! You people crack me up. All over a PCIII. MY,MY,MY!!:confused: Whats the deal with this site. There has to be arguing everywhere in every thread. I was shocked the squid thread didn't explode like this. Cant we all just get along?

To end my point-

You can run your bike without harm with a aftermarket exhaust and no PCIII. I have a PCIII and it is mapped for my full Yosh.TRS with K&N. I can't tell a difference with or with out PCIII. I am a aggressive back road rider not a track guy who runs his bike between 8-11K in order to use full HP. If you need to have your bike running a absolute perfection the make sure you take care of you periodic maintenance before worrying about anything else. Especially the extra power gains and minuscule power curve refinement that a dyno will give you.

Here is a link to download a manual if you don't have it already-

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4119940/Suzuki_SV650_service_manuals_1993-onwards

About the dyno-

If I had availability to a local dyno I would use it because I am anal. But that's me. If you want to save a couple hundred dead presidents you can and your bike will not blow up. Or fry you valves! The only dyno I have came across up this way is at Fisher Cycle and they ONLY service HD. For me to bring my Suzuki down there would be an insult and just piss them off from what I have been told. That is all!:rolleyes:

Holy Cow! You people crack me up. All over a PCIII. MY,MY,MY!!:confused: Whats the deal with this site. There has to be arguing everywhere in every thread. I was shocked the squid thread didn't explode like this. Cant we all just get along?

To end my point-

You can run your bike without harm with a aftermarket exhaust and no PCIII. I have a PCIII and it is mapped for my full Yosh.TRS with K&N. I can't tell a difference with or with out PCIII. I am a aggressive back road rider not a track guy who runs his bike between 8-11K in order to use full HP. If you need to have your bike running a absolute perfection the make sure you take care of you periodic maintenance before worrying about anything else. Especially the extra power gains and minuscule power curve refinement that a dyno will give you.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4119940/Suzuki_SV650_service_manuals_1993-onwards

About the dyno-

If I had availability to a local dyno I would use it because I am anal. But that's me. If you want to save a couple hundred dead presidents you can and your bike will not blow up. Or fry you valves! The only dyno I have came across up this way is at Fisher Cycle and they ONLY service HD. For me to bring my Suzuki down there would be an insult and just piss them off from what I have been told. That is all!:rolleyes:

sometimes O.R. has dyno days, check the calendar from time to time for locations.....

To end my point-

About the dyno-

thanks for all of your insight...I have been looking for a full service manual for a while now online, I didnt even think to check torrents! sweeeeet...

Sounds good. Good luck and sorry about the mess in this thread. If you ever need any help, just ask. I also would suggest checking out 35 Motorsports - one of OR sponsors. Reuben does a KICK ass job setting bikes up.

Have fun - that's a really great bike to ride.

thanks man, i love the SV. i dont plan on getting rid of it, i would love to have an in-line as well once i can afford it...but i dont think i would get rid of the SV

Shit might be a strong word, but they aren't by any means great and there are WAY better choices out there.

PCs and Bazaaz units are the norm in the race world. With a good dyno guy, you can get some really good results. People that don't do PCs and those that do may not have differences in overall power, but I can guarantee that you can get the curve smoother and cleaner than w/o one... Full system - PC. But, what do I know? Jagr has all the answers cause SV forums tell him so.

Anyone read that there's a comet heading towards Earth that is going to wipe us out by 2010? The internet says so...:rolleyes:

I know what the norm is and whats out there as far as tuning in the bike world. The two systems as far as I can tell arent really that advanced compared to what the car world has which blows my mind.

Of course the map can be moved and straighted out with a PC or Bazzaz box but if he is just doing a full system without doing filters and the bike already runs rich than I know he will be fine. I mean most bikes from the factory are setup to run rich to meet emissions and keep cylinder temps a little hotter to burn off all the crap.

I mean this is all relative, opinions differ and I am just stating mine based on my previous experience with tuning and motor building background. This isnt the word of god but it would be the way I would do it until i got a PC3

anyone have a good site or shop to get a yosh pipe from that isn't overpriced?

I bought a fender eliminator from http://www.pipecity.com/ and they seemed to have good prices and i didn't not problems with shipping etc...I was thinking about getting it from there...