Speaker and head unit suggestions?

Trouble Maker

What brands to look at in general? Specific models of speakers? I'd really like to be able to find the speakers local so I can take a listen to them. Throw suggestions about head units if you want, but I'm really looking for info on speakers.

Nothing crazy. I'm thinking 100-150/set of speakers, ~$150-200 for the head unit. They need to sound decent. Probably just doing speakers run off of the head unit.

It's for a 2001 Sunfire, so 4x6 in the front and 6x9 in the rear if that makes any difference.

Edited by Skinner

If you don't know Jesse it's rare to see an error, "heat unit", meant to be head unit. Can a mod make the adjustment to the title, so this thread gets the desired info?

And not that you need my help, but I'll help if I'm not working.

Always got good use out of Pioneer stuff, not the greatest but far from the worst. I have a nice set of 3-way 6x9s if you're interested (just don't fit anything I have). Anything name brand should do you good if all you're doing is running off the head unit.

Don't bother with Kenwood head units, mine was mid-top of the line ($250) and its a piece of shit. The sound is fine, but the reliability of the actual display sucks. Alpine or Pioneer for sure.

Also, what are you using the HU for? iPod? CDs? MP3-CDs?

As far as speakers my Explorer came with 4 Rockford Fosgate 5x8s and they sound pretty sweet. Very crisp sound, no distortion even at super high volumes.

See I have had nothing but bad experiences from Pioneer head units. When I was doing installs, JVC and Pioneer were the worst. Kenwood was a toss-up, Sony was good, Alpine the best along with Clarion. I do however have 12+ years in it as well.

See I have had nothing but bad experiences from Pioneer head units. When I was doing installs, JVC and Pioneer were the worst. Kenwood was a toss-up, Sony was good, Alpine the best along with Clarion. I do however have 12+ years in it as well.

I can respect someone who has been in the industry, but after 8-9 different Pioneer head units without problems I was a little surprised. What's your opinion of different aftermarket speakers, any to stay away from?

I can respect someone who has been in the industry, but after 8-9 different Pioneer head units without problems I was a little surprised. What's your opinion of different aftermarket speakers, any to stay away from?

sony xplodes. stay away from them. they live up to their names

Are you talking about just for daily driving or a full out system

sony xplodes. stay away from them. they live up to their names

The early Xplodes you would be surprised. I built a full sony xplod system, the guys car hit 159 with 3 12's. Everything was very crisp and would compete with any High level brand. Now I would not buy sony if they guy offered to pay me to take them.

Are you talking about just for daily driving or a full out system

Just a higher end system in a daily, not comp. Long lasting quality you know?

I used to have Pioneer HU, Pioneer mids-highs, old-school Fosgate amps, and 2 Memphis 10s, thought it sounded pretty good, wouldn't get as loud as I wanted, but nice. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

Stay far away from pyramid, legacy, boss, visonik, jensen, insignia, eclipse, phoenix gold, dual, pyle, phase linear, and sony speaker wise.

Those don't really surprise me, I've blown a few of those up for fun. My buddy used to have this no name amp that would blow the cone out of those, it was really quite entertaining.

The early Xplodes you would be surprised. I built a full sony xplod system, the guys car hit 159 with 3 12's. Everything was very crisp and would compete with any High level brand. Now I would not buy sony if they guy offered to pay me to take them.

yea I was speaking of new stuff. its a bunch of crap now

Also, Rockford fosgate subs. I would not suggest unless you get the High end woofers. There quality is going down as well. After 2002 I never bought nor recommended again. Kicker subwoofers, if you are not going into the L or X series stay away from the comp series. Sound quality I would say JL is one of the best. The best cheap subwoofer on the market is the Pioneer Champ series. If you do not believe I can show a few cars I did and make you a believer!

Thanks for catching that Joe, and thanks for changing it Shawn.

Probably won't do a sub. Need the trunk to put my bike in. Don't really need anything crazy, just want something nicer than stock. May do something like the Infinity Bass Link down the road if I really feel the itch and can fit it out of the way. I figure if I'm going to go through the work of doing it, I might as well do it 'right' (considering the budget).

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far guys.

I actually had a set up with all Infinity's back in the day, they were pretty nice. Can't remember which line. I listened to the newer Kapa's at BB the other day and did like them quite a bit.

Yeah, I have an idea of what to steer away from, but thanks for the list. I was mostly looking for suggestions for specific speakers (i.e. Infinity Kapa's). Especially if it's known they can be found locally to listen to. But figured I would ask about the HU while I was at it.

I remember listening to some Boston Acoustic speakers a long time ago at HH Greg that weren't component buy 2 way w/ an external crossover and really liked them. The few I've heard since they left me really unimpressed. I'm sure they make some good and some not so good speakers. You get what you pay for and most companies are going to have a low, mid and high end line, generally speaking. I've always thought they were a pretty good company overall, so I may have to try to find some to listen to again.

Also, Rockford fosgate subs. I would not suggest unless you get the High end woofers. There quality is going down as well. After 2002 I never bought nor recommended again. Kicker subwoofers, if you are not going into the L or X series stay away from the comp series. Sound quality I would say JL is one of the best. The best cheap subwoofer on the market is the Pioneer Champ series. If you do not believe I can show a few cars I did and make you a believer!

For "off the shelf" company's, I agree. BUT, you have to look deeper into the Audio World to find the "best" subs. For the price you simply can not beat FI Audio. Either built for SQ or SPL, FI can hardly be beat. (Especially if you know who the creator of FI is ;) )