07 vstar 650 sputtering

SRTurbo04

ok so my 07 vstar650 that i picked up last march brand new has 7600 miles on it now . done all the normal maintece for a New bike well today on the high way going 65 it just starts sputtering an couldnt get the bike to go over 60 so luckly the exit for work was there any ways. well the bike idels like crap an sputters REALLY BAD you have to feather the clutch to get it to even go. it feels like a cylinder is not firing but both seem to be. wires look ok no cuts or holes in them. oil is full an yes it has gas in it. if you pull the choke on itll idel a little bettter but wont stop the sputtering when trying to go.

any one have any ideas? possible things to check out before i turf if off to get looked at? im clueless here.

bike is 100% STOCK no abuse it is daily riden 24 miles round trip. 4 miles city no traffic then 6 miles highway, coming home 6 miles freeway an 4 miles stop an go ish traffic

AN NO I DID NOT BREAK THIS, A family member daily drives this but F M L jet ski sink 10 days ago, car broke 3 days ago an now this ahhhh !!!!:mad:

if you choke it and it runs better, you might have a fuel problem. choking it makes it run richer so it seems you aren't getting enough gas. bad gas, pinched line, something in the filter, shut off, something like that.

if you choke it and it runs better, you might have a fuel problem. choking it makes it run richer so it seems you aren't getting enough gas. bad gas, pinched line, something in the filter, shut off, something like that.

it ONLY runs better at idle besause well the idle is wayy up. are bikes known to have clugged fuel filters often? i never in the last 15 years had any go bad on me on dirt bikes an quads but these two bikes are my first "street" bikes

has it been sitting? sounds like the carb nees cleaned. I would clean it and change the plugs and im sure it will run better. does it run like crap at wot?

nope this thing gets riden daily it is left outside but under a cover.

wot it does the same jsut sputters an barely gets up to speed

the wierd thing is it just happened all of a sudden. it didnt slowering run liek crap just all of a sudden

You may have gotten a piece of dirt in the carb and its clogging the main or pilot jet. The fuel/air screw could have somehow changed setting from vibration, i highly doubt this happened. Check all vacum lines also. Start the bike with your fuel cap off to make sure the vent in the fuel cap is not clogged either.

sounds like a plugged main jet

+1 Sounds like it's doing exactly what mine was doing before I found I had the wrong jets in it. Open the float side of the carbs and get those jets cleaned out. I'd put a new filter on it too, just to be sure.

+1 Sounds like it's doing exactly what mine was doing before I found I had the wrong jets in it. Open the float side of the carbs and get those jets cleaned out. I'd put a new filter on it too, just to be sure.

is it a difficult job to do? time consuming? i donthave alot of time or patience lately an woudl rather have some one do it but if its somethign some what easy ill just tackel it

It's not a huge deal, but if you're all stock, its kind of a PITA moving all the stuff to get at the carbs. It's much easier to do with the carbs off the bike, but that means pulling the seat, air box, speedo cluster, tank, AIS stuff that gets in the way, then physically removing the carbs. First time pulling them off, and putting them back on will probably take you 2 hours not including the time to take the carbs apart and clean. It goes a little faster each time you do it, though.

It's not a huge deal, but if you're all stock, its kind of a PITA moving all the stuff to get at the carbs. It's much easier to do with the carbs off the bike, but that means pulling the seat, air box, speedo cluster, tank, AIS stuff that gets in the way, then physically removing the carbs. First time pulling them off, and putting them back on will probably take you 2 hours not including the time to take the carbs apart and clean. It goes a little faster each time you do it, though.

dam ill jsut take it somw where then, i dont have the time to diddle an possibly screw sometign else up lol ahhh

Wow.... it looks like you are "learning".

:bangbang:

KillJoy

sorry this weekend is going twords gettin my car fixed jackasss

:D

trust me i want to learn an do my won work but i dont have alot of extra time

well just got a call from the bike shop. they said the main jets were fine. but the carbs were clogged period.... they claim we dont ride it enough an that it sat so long the carbs gummed up, we advised them this gets ridden daily an the longest its ever sat with out gettin riden has been liek 3 days ha ahhh well 60 bucks for them to cheak it out an fix it works for me

what shop was that? that's super cheap work, i'd just like to know for future reference...

glad you got it fixed.

k an C cycle yamaha out in hebron. off of main street (or 40 whatever its called) about a mile past trails little mom an pop shop. been amazing to us over the years. but then again weve bought 7 toys from them :bangbang:

$60 to degunkify a pair of carbs!? What a steal! Glad you got it sorted out.

yea this shops always been very affordable. an it helps being a very good return customer over an over an over again haha

now i just have to find time to go pick the dam thing up :(