Buying a used (D)SLR Camera

hpfiend

Hey all,

After being consistently dissapointed with the quality of shots of our 2 month old son taken with my Nikon Coolpix 3700 and the built in still digicam in my Canon HG20 camcorder I am looking for a better camera.

Not being crazy on the idea of a 700.00 camera I was thinking of buying a used SLR 35 mm or more preferably a used digital rebel XS or XSI? Any common failure points on these to look out for? I thought I read somewhere there was a non-resettable shot counter? How many shots is a lot before the mechanism needs repair? Is there a water damage indicator like cell phones? Drop indicator? If it zooms, focuses and takes a series of pictures in standard and continuous mode can I assume it is ok?

On a side note I had a canon elph years ago that I thought took really good pictures of my cars but how often are cars indoors with varying lighting and their expressions do not quickly change.

Thanks!

Andrew

My D300 is rated for some 150,000 shots. I don't believe that you can reset the shutter counter, but you can reset the picture counter.

Here are some of Canon's

Model Rated Shutter Life Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D 100,000

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i / 500D 100,000

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi / 450D 100,000

anon EOS Digital Rebel XTi / 400D 50,000

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT / 350D 50,000

I have a Nikon D100 for sale.

this might be a good choice for you. not the greatest quality by today's standards, but my boyfriend had that camera when we met and some beautiful pics came out of it :)

if i bought a dslr, though, i would probably go with a nikon D90 because it has video. i, too, have a kid and it would be great to shoot some shots of her and then be able to shoot video of her running around :)

right now we have a D700 and for a lot of family outings, it's just not an easy grab and go camera.....

this might be a good choice for you. not the greatest quality by today's standards, but my boyfriend had that camera when we met and some beautiful pics came out of it :)

if i bought a dslr, though, i would probably go with a nikon D90 because it has video. i, too, have a kid and it would be great to shoot some shots of her and then be able to shoot video of her running around :)

right now we have a D700 and for a lot of family outings, it's just not an easy grab and go camera.....

The D100 is amazing at only 6MP. My D90 is a great camera, the video isn't that good. If you want video, get a video camera.

For $400 you can have the D100 with lens, flash, and flash cards.

Not being crazy on the idea of a 700.00 camera I was thinking of buying a used SLR 35 mm or more preferably a used digital rebel XS or XSI? Any common failure points on these to look out for? I thought I read somewhere there was a non-resettable shot counter?

I'm biased on Canon. Don't trust the shutter count on any DSLR. They can all be reset or propped in some way. However, there are some software packages that can tell you the real count. I have some links to post later.

Overall though, don't stress on shutter counts. Used gear is cheap and when it breaks, even if you bought new, it takes a long while and is replacable. I have a 7yr Old DSLR that fires away with over 150k on it. My others are heavily used too and zero issues. Just make sure the shutter button itself is cool and the sensor tests okay. Again, PM me and we can look at some test shots and proceedures.

How many shots is a lot before the mechanism needs repair? Is there a water damage indicator like cell phones? Drop indicator? If it zooms, focuses and takes a series of pictures in standard and continuous mode can I assume it is ok?

Bodies are tough. You're near 0% to get one to hit a pond and still work. Most everyone turns them on afterwards and they fry them. Drops, you'll see scrapes. Good ones are metal bodies and can take a fall or three, but I would avoid one that's been dropped given the thousands of others out there. Focus mechs are an issues, usually that's lens and calibration related. Body wise, just buy one that's in good shape and if you can, perhaps just one generation old. The 10mp 40D is the best buy out there. 20-30D's are awesome deals too and had real cheap. Nikon wise, you'd have to look at the D300-D700 to be comparing apples to apples. The XSi and XS are more D60/D90 comparisons. Video on a DSLR today is over-rated. Don't worry about it now.

Hope my two cents helps. I buy a lot off Craigs list as there's been some really good deals out there.

If you want into the DSLR world then the Canon 40D can be had for very cheap now that newer models are out and unless your planning to shoot indoor sports for ESPN the 40D will be far more than you'll ever need.

I'm a Canon guy also myself, but Nikon makes some nice products. It really comes down to what you like using better since they both have different button locations and menu systems.

I am in the same boat wanting to buy a DSLR, just for clairfication are we all basically on the same page that there are really only 2 good companies that we would buy a DSLR from.... (Cannon and Nikon?)

I am in the same boat wanting to buy a DSLR, just for clairfication are we all basically on the same page that there are really only 2 good companies that we would buy a DSLR from.... (Cannon and Nikon?)

there are a couple other up and coming brands

Sony

Pentax

Olympus

With a DSLR, I would consider the availability of accessories (lenses, flashes, etc.) over the body.

There are others, but in today's market, yes, Nikon and Canon lead the way. Pentax is coming along but still no where near the others.

Traditionally speaking, you'll see more action/sports photogs using Canon, Nikon is used a bit more for Studio/Portrait work. Mainly because of lens selection and metering ability.

Nikon is targeting the "Land and Expand" approach of more cost effective bodies. Canon is going for diversification on body choices. Pentax and others that are lagging way behind in sales are trying to push stabilization and other unique identifiers into their bodies.

Sony and a couple other traditionally retail/consumer brands are attempting to make a play but are struggling to capture market share.

In the end, I'm biased. Stick with the main players, Nikon or Canon. The lens systems solid/proven and they have better sensor and metering technologies. Bodies will come and go, but the "system" you'll be buying into is key. Resale of the top two is killer too so if you upgrade lenses and speedlights down the road, you won't lose.

Rebel XS is $499 brand new through costco. Yes it's "entry Level" but I'm enjoying mine quite a bit.

After my experience with the nikon P&S as compared to the elph P&S I had previously, I wouldn't touch another one of their cameras- no offense.

I checked the website and did not see it- does that include the 15-75mm lens? I was going to go with an online vendor for a new XS with 15-75mm lens with bag, 2gb card, and uv filter for 604.00 to my door.

But then I wondered if a lot of people were in the same boat as me previously buying these thinking they NEEDED a dslr and were trying to recover some of their cash for a camera they didn't use that much.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye out on craigslist. Cord on 5th has a used 1D Mk2 for 1049.00 body only if anyone is looking.

Laters,

Andrew

The XS came with the standard "kit" 18-55mm lense. Costco was out of stock when I wanted mine so maybe they can't get them anymore but HH Gregg matched the $499 + 20 to ship and sold me the camera same day for $519. threw in a 4 gigs of memory for another $10.

The deal for $604 shipped is pretty good with the bag and card and filter. Because I was impatient I had to pay tax so mine only ended up being about $30 cheaper than that and with no bag or filter...and I'm finding the bag REALLY would come in handy.

After my experience with the nikon P&S as compared to the elph P&S I had previously, I wouldn't touch another one of their cameras- no offense.

I checked the website and did not see it- does that include the 15-75mm lens? I was going to go with an online vendor for a new XS with 15-75mm lens with bag, 2gb card, and uv filter for 604.00 to my door.

But then I wondered if a lot of people were in the same boat as me previously buying these thinking they NEEDED a dslr and were trying to recover some of their cash for a camera they didn't use that much.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye out on craigslist. Cord on 5th has a used 1D Mk2 for 1049.00 body only if anyone is looking.

Laters,

Andrew

Laters,

Andrew

I'll tell ya that if you want a DSLR because you think its gonna get you better pictures then your probably looking in the wrong direction. Even my Canon S2 IS from a few years ago that costs about $250 takes better (sharper and easier to take) shots than my $4000 worth of canon pro gear if I compare vacation pictures and other snap shots. The P & S camera will do 99% of the things you'll need on a daily basis. DSLR's really shine when your trying to take pics that show depth of field and other neat things that they do:-)

Now having said that if your wanting to get into photography as a hobby and learn to use a DSLR properly its gonna take some time, lots of reading, and you'll end up buying a lot of gear and having a lot of fun.

If you stick with Canon or even Nikon and buy the gear used (especially the lenses) you can be almost guaranteed to get your money back in the used market. You might even make a little bit if you buy at a really good price.

Another thought is the Canon G10 or the G9 (older so better price.) They are canons top of the line P & S cameras and many pro photogs carry one in their kit for a backup and for those times when an event is moving fast enough that you need to be able to use one camera/lens combo and get work done.

They have a hotshoe for an external flash so you can do many more complicated lighting shots that the other P & S cameras won't be able to do.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17624

The P & S camera will do 99% of the things you'll need on a daily basis.

Ehhh... I'll disagree with you on that one. The P&S I was using (Vivitar 8400) before I bought Mike's friend's XTi turned out some real crap if the light was anything other than bright and sunny. Indoor shots had terrible white-balance no matter what settings I used (and sometimes, the same shot two seconds apart had totally different color hues), fast "shutter" speeds were still blurred senseless, and battery life pretty much sucked. Getting that Canon counts pretty high on the "best money ever spent" list.

Ehhh... I'll disagree with you on that one. The P&S I was using (Vivitar 8400) before I bought Mike's friend's XTi turned out some real crap if the light was anything other than bright and sunny. Indoor shots had terrible white-balance no matter what settings I used (and sometimes, the same shot two seconds apart had totally different color hues), fast "shutter" speeds were still blurred senseless, and battery life pretty much sucked. Getting that Canon counts pretty high on the "best money ever spent" list.

Okay I'll rephrase. A Canon P & S will do 99% of anything you'd need. I even know nikon photogs who use the canon G10 as a backup.

We've got a EOS Digital Rebel (DS6041/300D) that I'll make you a good deal on since my wife moved up to a 30D. We bought it new so we should still have the box and manuals. $275 with the kit lens and camera bag. You are welcome to check it out to see if it would fit your needs.