Thinking of getting a Jeep

87GT

I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee and I wish I had not traded it for my F150 to this day.

It was a good looking ride with every option. It had plenty of room in the back with the seats down. I used to sleep in it when camping and Im almost 6'. My WJ had the 4.7 V8 in it and after I installed a CAI I was getting 21mpg on the highway which was a little better than the 19mpg my friend was getting in his 4.0 WJ.

It did real well of road and in the winter. Mine did not have a tow package though but I installed a round hidden hitch receiver on it and it pulled the largest enclosed Uhaal trailer filled to the max from Charlotte, NC to Columbus with no problems allthough I was only gettin like 9mpg in the moutains.

The only problems I had with mine after owning it for about 3 years was the transfer case it had some issues but I traded it in before I fixed it. I beat the shit out of that Jeep on the street off the street and even at the track and it never left me stranded.

Oh and if you end up with a WJ with no tow package let me know. I took the round hidden hitch receiver and wiring harness off and still have it.

Yes, they can. But I was more saying you can find a mint low mileage (sub 90,000 miles) Cherokee for that price.

Or, you could be like me and pick up a '00 with 93,000 for $1800 ;)

Can you find me a deal like that??! :D

saw a blue chaerokkee on 270 going to the 670 slip go comepletely side ways an slide 100+yards side ways in the rain today an didnt flip. scared the piss outta me seeing the whole thing. so there not to bad with roll overs i saw that first hand today :( hope that person didnt have a heart attack

Can you find me a deal like that??! :D

Hah, find one and have the seller convinced that he cracked the head and it needs replaced before he sells it, then haggle him down somemore.

I bought mine from a coworker, and he thought he popped the head (0331 casting). Wanted to have a shop look/fix/replace what was wrong. I told him I'd give KBB value minus what the cost of parts and labor would be since I could source and do all the work myself. And so that's how I got the Jeep for $1800. The kicker is, I've put 7,000 almost on it and have yet to burn a drop of oil or coolant because of this "crack" ;)

Yeah, you aren't suppose to do that on dry pavement with a true 4x4 system. That hopping is normal, and can break shit.

Not supposed to put it in 4wd while turning? Or turn sharply in 4wd.

I meant he would put it in 4wd then it would hop severly when making a sharp turn....which should not happen imo. If it does that is goofy.

I meant he would put it in 4wd then it would hop severly when making a sharp turn....which should not happen imo. If it does that is goofy.

ours with do that if you turns sharp

I meant he would put it in 4wd then it would hop severely when making a sharp turn....which should not happen imo. If it does that is goofy.

With traditional 4wd (usually called part-time) you should only be using it on slippery surfaces such as grass, mud, dirt, gravel etc. where the tires will spin before binding the drivetrain.

You typically want to be out of 4wd if making sharp turns on dry ground to avoid binding and the "hopping" you describe.

With the 242 t-case you also have the option of Full-Time 4x4 that has an open center diff so that you don't have the associated bind on regular pavement. You could leave it engaged in full-time at all times if you wanted, hence the name (it's more like AWD).

Not supposed to put it in 4x4 while on pavement, turning aside.

When you turn, one wheel travels farther than the other, side to side and front to rear. Traction is split 50/50 front rear. When you turn and the one wheel is traveling further/less than the other, parts of the drive train bind up. Energy has to be released somewhere so the tire with the least traction loses and creates the hopping that is felt.

Drive around in a car with a truly locked rear end on the street. You'll feel the same thing.