School Me (Dehumidifiers)

Drewhop

I understand that every house should have one. But my central air seems to do the job pretty well.

Does anyone know the humidity percentage in a house that justifies me needing one.

I have a few digital heat/humidity guages in my house that i sat around in different spots just to find out what the actual humidity in my house was. The highest anywhere in house was 35%. That seems pretty good to me but maybe I am missing something.

Any help is appreciated.

40 - 50? Really? Wow. Anyone have any info to back this up?

I'm not saying you are wrong, by any means. We both have heard different things. Just wanting some more info on this. I think if I was to set my dehumidifier that low, it would probably never shut off.

Guest fist302
My room is in my basement so and i do have a Dehumidifier, but i am wondering what are the side affects of not having one in your basement? I noticed once that i left my SKS (rifle) downstairs when i wasnt using the dehumidifier and within weeks it became rusty. But are there health risks aswell? This thread reminded me to keep mine on. I keep it at about 45 even though its loud as hell and i have to dump out the water everyday.

Though my basement has no water intrusion whatsoever, it gets a ton of humidity.

We have two running full blast - one that drains to a drain that we are borrowing (that isn't very efficient), and one that has a pretty nice bucket that fills up every 15-20 hours.

My guess is it being a large basement with block foundation is the issue; hopefully after I get all of it painted with Drylock Extreme it won't be as humid. Rest of the house is fine.

My room is in my basement so and i do have a Dehumidifier, but i am wondering what are the side affects of not having one in your basement? I noticed once that i left my SKS (rifle) downstairs when i wasnt using the dehumidifier and within weeks it became rusty. But are there health risks aswell? This thread reminded me to keep mine on. I keep it at about 45 even though its loud as hell and i have to dump out the water everyday.

Along with causing things to rust, a humid room can also grow mold.

My guess is it being a large basement with block foundation is the issue; hopefully after I get all of it painted with Drylock Extreme it won't be as humid. Rest of the house is fine.

I have gotten one side of my basement painted with drylock and it helped a LOT! After I did just that one side, I noticed that my dehumidifier wasn't running as often. I plan on getting the other side done this winter, which is the dampest side, so I'm sure that will help a ton as well.

I have gotten one side of my basement painted with drylock and it helped a LOT! After I did just that one side, I noticed that my dehumidifier wasn't running as often. I plan on getting the other side done this winter, which is the dampest side, so I'm sure that will help a ton as well.

I've been meaning to paint my basement walls with that stuff, what did you apply it with? If I remember right it is super thick and have chunks in it, doesn't seem a normal paint roller would work good?

I've also been meaning to get a dehumifier in our basement, but it doesn't feel humid or anything, maybe I'll buy a gauge first to figure out how humid it really is because a nice dehumidifer is like $200ish.