Landlord Problems help

Comebackkid

Ok first I like to say I'm alittle pissed so grammar won't be the best. And it's long

We are renting this house and a couple of months later the landlord sold the house and we was aware of that at the beginning. Well later on that year we kept getting these people coming up saying that where's this months rent after we dropped it off to the place we always have. It's been a couple different time's this is happened so we tried to contact the new landlord and talk to him.

So we called the previous landlord and tried to get this guy's number and all he kept saying is that I'll relay the message to him and I don't want to give out his number so at first I was like ok here's my number have him call me. Well never heard anything from this guy so I was like fuck it he's not getting any money from me. So that was last march and we've been getting this other guy coming up and giving us these 3 day printed up notices that he made himself and has our new landlord name on it but this guys sign ager.

So today the new new landlord cam today and was like when I bought this house there was no one suppose to be living here. He didn't seem like an asshole but he said I have until the first of the month to get out our I'm putting your stuff out on the street. Now here's the kicker the old landlord don't have a lease on us and don't think he has our original lease either. So how do I go about this and don't they have to have a court notice to come in an throw our things out..What should I do

Edited by Comebackkid

Do you have copies of your original lease and notifications of transfer of property? I'd say that you need to escrow your rent payments right away until 1) property ownership is firmly established, and 2) with whom your lease agreement lies. I don't believe that you can be evicted that way...

Guest Removed

they have to take you to court..that will take A 21 day process to give you 30's days to get out..

tell the new scumlord to give you a 3 day notice, dont leave, and tellim to take you to court.

laier up

Do you have copies of your original lease and notifications of transfer of property? I'd say that you need to escrow your rent payments right away until 1) property ownership is firmly established, and 2) with whom your lease agreement lies. I don't believe that you can be evicted that way...

Yes I have a copie of the lease but never got any transfer papers. Like i said never heard or seen this guy sorry about the 3x post

well it sounds like you don't have any legal grounds to occupy the house anymore if your lease was not renewed. Even if you had a verbal agreement to go month-to-month with the landlord, that means at most you have until the end of this month to move out if he says move. I don't see why you'd waste your time/money on a lawyer, you have no grounds to stay there.

I'd just have him write a note/something and sign it saying that you left the place in good condition and on good terms, just so he can't come after you in small claims court for bs shit like carpet stains, etc etc.

You need an attorney. Get your rent into escrow (like, yesterday) and get find representation from a lawyer specializing in residential law. Avoiding an eviction on your credit report is exactly why you need representation. Eviction is not a quick process, you've got time.

my lease has been up since march and why do I wanna get it in writing ya im dumb but don't understand lol

Your lease was up in March, and your former landlord sold the house when? I've heard of renters being kicked out when a property owner lets a house go to foreclosure, but it seems like there would have to be a law protecting a tenant when the property owner sells the property.

I guess my question is: How long have you been paying rent to the current landlord? You said the current landlord told you that the place was supposed to be unoccupied when he bought it, but you've been paying rent, and I assume someone's been cashing your rent check, who was it? It seems to me that if the new property owner accepted your rent payments, then they would have had to have accepted the terms of the lease that was present on the property at the time of purchase. If the lease term was up at the end of March, and the new landlord has continued to accept rent checks for the property, I imagine you'd have some legal recourse...

Here is the real answer. You were on month to month lease. The landlord has the right to terminate that lease at the end of a period with 30 day noticed. You're boned

Source: Father and Grandpa, combined 78 years experience

Why in the hell are you writing money orders?

You know they pretty much give checking accounts away for free, right?

A trend I've noticed about people that are really bad with money:

- Have no bank account

- Love to drive around everywhere to pay their bills

- Use money orders

It sounds like you need to get your shit in order. If you are paying rent, you need to have some sort of proof of payment, besides some money order stubbs. Just because you don't have a lease doesn't mean you can be kicked out at any time...my renters aren't on a lease, and I can't just evict them this weekend if I wanted to. There are laws that protect renters (a bit too much if you ask me), so do a little research and understand what your rights are.

It isn't hard to figure out who owns the house and when it was sold; just go to the auditor's website and look up the information on the house. You will know when it was sold, what taxes were paid, how much the new owner paid, etc. All public domain.

Just because you don't have a lease doesn't mean you can be kicked out at any time...my renters aren't on a lease, and I can't just evict them this weekend if I wanted to.

Yes you can with 30 day notice