Tube-chassis street legal car?

zeitgeist57

September HOT ROD magazine features an awesome, custom-built, tube-chassis ride from a guy named Yannick Sire. It's got two Chevy V8's and BMW X5 20" wheels...and I think it's wicked.

After also seeing more and more tube-chassis "homebuilts" at the local AutoX races, I'm definitely a fan. Not the right time for me, but definitely something I'm interested in at some point.

QUESTIONS: How hard would it be to get something like this TITLED in the state of Ohio? Would it help to start with a junk car, build the chassis and then title the car however the old VIN reads? Or, can you do something totally kitted out and as long as it has lights and a horn it's pretty much street legal?

Also, if someone made a 3-wheeler (2 wheels in front, one in the rear) could it be licensed as a motorcycle...like the Aptera?

http://www.aptera.com/

i think it would be a little hard to title it becauise of vin etc.. but i dont see why if the car meets all the standards why it would be a problem... ( the same standards as if you are rebuilding a salvage car or something)

http://www.kimini.com/

^ excellent resource for home built tube chassis cars.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

^ I've seen several tube chassis street cars come through the board over the years, the kimini builder is a member along with a ton of other diy fabrication heavy hitters.

the GTM is a tube chassis car. both that and the factory five corba are kit cars and the state issues a VIN and title.

i got to see the gtm at good guys and man that is a great creation... and the full tube chassis and what not is under 20k..

and they set it up for a ls motor.. i thought it was cool they had the chassis and the finsihsed car next to each other..

the GTM is a tube chassis car. both that and the factory five corba are kit cars and the state issues a VIN and title.

I have built 4 ffr Cobras . They are tube chasis and very easy to register in the state of ohio. They will be labeled as a ASVE { a self assembled vehicle} and titled as a 2009 ASVE or whatever year you have the car inspected .

As long as you have all the working parts of a every day car such as a horn , turn signal and the numbers of the motor and transmissiom come back clean , you are good to go. I never put wipers on any of mine and never had a problem getting it registered.

Keep any receipts you might have, this will help out with getting it registered.

The state of ohio will actually issue you a vin # and attatch it somewhere on your car.

to answer the 3 wheeler question, yes, all 3 wheelers are considered a motorcycle in the state of ohio. with them getting much more popular though, and more car like 3 wheeled vehicles being developed every day(so they are techinically a motorcycle and don't have to meet crash standards and the like), states are beginning to catch on and are changing their laws to reflect this.

and, yes, i TOTALLY dream of building a complete tube chassis vehicle(would love to build a tube chassis reverse trike, with tilting front wheels for more motorcycle-like handling).

They will be labeled as a ASVE { a self assembled vehicle} and titled as a 2009 ASVE or whatever year you have the car inspected .

isn't there something going on now where you can title it for what ever year the thing is? like those dynacore 69' camaro bodys, can't they be titled as a 69'? or has that not made it through everything yet?

isn't there something going on now where you can title it for what ever year the thing is? like those dynacore 69' camaro bodys, can't they be titled as a 69'? or has that not made it through everything yet?

There were some guy titling their Cobras as a 1965 Cobra . As far as I know some of them have been called back in and had to retitle their car as the year it was assembled .

I think they were either trying to by pass emissions testing or trying to pass off their car as a original.

I talked about this at Cars & Coffee yesterday morning, and I reminded myself and subsequently re-sold myself on my original plan on building something from Factory Five...the GTM is badass (I've followed that thing for years since it was a concept on their website) but I would love the option of open-air motoring. Cobras are really good tube-chassis cars with a coke-bottle fiberglass body to boot.

Props still to Yannick Sire...

I think I read they can title a car based on the year or markings on the engine.

The last crate motor that I put in a FFR did not have any markings or serial number on it . It has been a few years ago , maybe they put serial # 's on them now.

My dad built and titled as 65 cobra kit car from Factory Five, was easy peasy at the state hwy patrol office as long you do a decent job.

I want a Lotus 7.

Was it inspected and titled in a small town ? I know acouple of guys that have theirs inspected and titled in smaller towns so that they can do this.