I thought its been a cold summer

copperhead

There have been 3,000 record low temps set this month. Normally its in the 90's around here, but instead its been upper 70's, sometimes creeping into the lower 80's.

Sunspots > humans

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?blog=weathermatrix&partner=&pgUrl=/mtweb/content/weathermatrix/archives/2009/07/1000_low_temp_records_set_this_july.asp

I suppose it could be the total lack of sun spots that has been helping to keep temps lower. We will see since in scientists are thinking that we just saw the beginning of the next solar cycle a couple weeks ago and in 2011 the sun should be very active with spots.

The good news is the Northern Lights should be cool to view from my place:-)

You could get sunburned with 6 inches of snow on the ground if you go without a shirt and there are clear skies.

I'm aware of that, it was a generalized comment about summer and the sunburns that usually go along with it.

I was fucked anyway. Losing your car keys on the golf course with no way home, sucks.

I suppose it could be the total lack of sun spots that has been helping to keep temps lower. We will see since in scientists are thinking that we just saw the beginning of the next solar cycle a couple weeks ago and in 2011 the sun should be very active with spots.

The good news is the Northern Lights should be cool to view from my place:-)

If I heard the news guy right tonight, the lack of sunspots would only decrease the temp like 1 degree per every 100 degree.

If I heard the news guy right tonight, the lack of sunspots would only decrease the temp like 1 degree per every 100 degree.

Its quite possible. I'm sure there isn't enough data to confirm or deny sun spots effecting anything. All I do know as a life long student of astronomy is that there hasn't been much sun spot activity for about 10 years. This is completely normal since the sun seems to have cycles of about 11 years. Though the last probably 3-4 years there have been an abnormally low number of sun spots. At the moment there aren't any, per this photo of the sun.

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2009/27jul09/midi512_blank.gif?PHPSESSID=iadi60mo2co1mstirm751oukt0

You can watch this information at http://www.spaceweather.com

I myself haven't bothered pointing my scope at the sun for many years due to nothing to see. In 2011-2013 we'll have some major solar activity, ie flares, radiation storms, corona mass ejections. Its gonna be really exciting unless your an astronaut or one of the poor little communications satellites in orbit. Hehe lets hope none of the Mayan's calender predictions had anything to do with the sun or our atmosphere is gonna burn off.

damn sure wish I was in ohio, phoenix has been 110+ everyday and its hell! haha

It was hot there, I just got back yesterday from Scottsdale. I will take 110 in Phoenix, over 95 in Ohio any day.