Electronics guys: Charger question

Science Abuse

Phone and ipod chargers, they plug into the wall and convert AC to 9.5 and 3.5 VDC.

Solar Panel I have, converts light into 12 VDC.

Could I just plug the charger right into the panel without issue? The Inverter will be trying to convert DC into DC, would that be a problem?

Voltage and everything matches up, and I doubt that the panel will make enough current to hurt anything, I'm just wondering about the DC/DC.

Thanks!

You would have to step the 12V down to an acceptable voltage for the battery in the ipod. Additionally you need to regulate the current as the battery can only take in so many electrons per second.

A standard AC to DC inverter uses inductors and capacitors to take the AC sine wave and make it into a more DC pattern, then it will clip the top of the sine to make a steady DC voltage. If you run DC into the AC side, you could get a phenomenon known as inductive kick (the coil in your car does this with 12V to make a 120,000V.). I wouldn't do it this way.

Phone and ipod chargers, they plug into the wall and convert AC to 9.5 and 3.5 VDC.

Solar Panel I have, converts light into 12 VDC.

Could I just plug the charger right into the panel without issue? The Inverter will be trying to convert DC into DC, would that be a problem?

Voltage and everything matches up, and I doubt that the panel will make enough current to hurt anything, I'm just wondering about the DC/DC.

Thanks!

Get a car charger, and hook it up to the Solar Panel?

:confused:

KillJoy

This is what I'm playing with.

The back of the panel says "22.25 Open circuit voltage", and the manual says 120mA output... is it even strong enough?

Perhaps I should just splurge onthis one. I got the smaller one because it fits easily in my sunroof shade (and was disposably cheap), maybe that one will fit, too.

Edited by Science Abuse

when I wanna drop 12v to a very low amp 5v I usually just connect a resistor on the 12v line. Its probably not the best way, but its very effective as long as its just powering something very low amp like a cell phone.

This is what I'm playing with.

The back of the panel says "22.25 Open circuit voltage", and the manual says 120mA output... is it even strong enough?

Perhaps I should just splurge onthis one. I got the smaller one because it fits easily in my sunroof shade (and was disposably cheap), maybe that one will fit, too.

That should make enough amperage at 5v to charge an ipod or a phone, just not as quickly as a wall outlet would do it. At the bare minimum, it should be able to keep a device running without draining the battery.

I'm just lookin to keep things powered up while camping or on a hike. I'm told there should be a diode in there some where to keep it from draining the batteries at night?

Diode to keep the solar panel from draining the battery? (sorry didn't understand the question clearly.)

If infact you do need to keep power from going back to the solar panel then thats easy just put the diode inline on the positive lead with the little stripe facing away from the solar panel.

Get a car charger, and hook it up to the Solar Panel?

:confused:

KillJoy

I've wondered the same thing. Couple years back I built a solar setup out of scrap that ended up making about 4 amps at 12 volts. Could I charge a car battery with this thing? Could I attach it to an ipod car charger and keep my music going?

I've wondered the same thing. Couple years back I built a solar setup out of scrap that ended up making about 4 amps at 12 volts. Could I charge a car battery with this thing? Could I attach it to an ipod car charger and keep my music going?

FOUR amps? at TWELVE volts? thats 48 flippin watts. You could power a fluorescent bulb with that thing.

But to answer you're question, that could charge a car battery pretty nicely, and you should be able to hook up a ipod car charger right up to it and not have a problem.