Narrowing down faulty speedo problems 98 neon

Browning

just started. Yesterday it started jumping, then stopped working at all. today it's just reading way off. Going slow(15 or so) and it's up around 50 lol

I know there's a problems with the solder joints on the cluster but how do I determine whether this is a cluster problem or the gear in the transmission?

how many miles are you on your neon? my old 97 had 140k and didnt have that issue

one possible solution:

Remove the instrument cluster, and pull out the connector that is clipped to the car. Clean the pins mercilessly, and re-install connector.

Now with cluster in hand, clean pins, but do nothing to reduce their circumference or length, such as rubbing or sanding. Bend as many as you can so that the cluster will be tight as you guide it back onto the stationary female end as previously discussed

sorry for the bump.

It's got to be in the cluster. Took it for a ride and it was working fine, then dropped to zero. smack the dash pretty hard and it starts working again. I found a site that says to redo the solder on the back but I'm not sure that's the problem.

Anyways, the top of the dash needs removed. Does it all just pull off or is there a screw or two hiding somewhere?

been down that road a few times with the Neon's.. most likely the cluster, at least in my case(s) it was... done 3 now.(each time cust. supplied junkyard clusters.

just take your time and look for the screws.

it was the cluster. found one at Marshalls for $15. Drove 45 minutes to get there, waited for an hour and a half and still no part9was 20 or so others waiting too). fuck that place. Ended up paying $35 for one at a local yard.