Good Beginner Car to Mod/ Build

Main3s

I've been reading all the build threads and really itching to get back into modding cars and get my hands dirty again. My GTP is done and I want to keep the Impreza stock as DD. I've only ever done bolt on mods before (well a cam but I had help) but I'd really like to do a build of some sort. To be honest I don't have a wide range of knowledge on motors other then those I've worked on or owned so I’m not too sure where to begin. What are some good platforms to being with? What I’m looking for is…

- Something easy to work on

- Something with lots of aftermarket support

- RWD!

- Would like to make around 400whp

- And cheap to buy upfront.

I'm sure Mustangs or Camaros fit the bill, but anything else? Just something that I can learn from, it doesn’t have to be the fastest thing on the road but a solid car that’s fun to drive and with decent power. So when I do get the $$$ for something nice I’ll now how to make a solid 800WHP!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ true that.

a 240 you can get for 2-3k if your patient and the sr20 swaps are becomming less expensive. would be fun

Sounds good! http://hubpages.com/hub/Nissan_SR20

G-Body with SBC

RX7 V8 Swap

S10 V8 Swap

Grand National/T-Type

BMW V8 Swap

Now what you didn't focus on, is what you're using this car for:

Street

Strip

Street/Strip

Street/ Strip.

I imagine 400 whp wouldn't be that bad on the street.

heres what you need...... svt focus.... turbo kit.. quaife diff....23 psi on a gt28rs will net you 365 whp and 19 psi on a gt30r will get you 380-400!

Or you can get a zx3 swap a svt motor in it and it will be cheaper.

How about a SVT Focus with a 03/04 Cobra Motor and RWD.

Throw on a 2.8H Kennebell and make 700 rwhp.

^ true that.

a 240 you can get for 2-3k if your patient and the sr20 swaps are becomming less expensive. would be fun

Fuck lame ass sr20 swaps everyone jumps on the bandwagon on these, GO rb or LSX. rb's in 240's bone stock will be in the low 12's high 11's , mine old car put down 309 rwhp and 12.1. car only weights 2585 lbs if its a non sunroof coupe.