This truck sits funny

Ziggy1647545504

I just bought this '99 s10, and I like it well enough, but I think the stance is wrong. It's got the 2.2L in it, and I think the engine is just not heavy enough to make the front end sit where it should. I want to lower the front end to at least level it out, maybe give it just a slight rake, and was wondering what my options are. Is there anything quick, easy, and safe (bonus points for being cheap too!) that will deliver the desired results?

when I first got my dakota, I put 2" blocks in the back and cut the front springs with a grinder (don't use a torch as excessive heat can ruin the spring)

It didn't ride any worse. mine resulted in about 1" lower in the front.

worst case, you can replace the bump stops with shorter ones or cut the stock ones.

I have hotchkis suspension now and rub badly on large bumps.

If it's not a huge amount, then what about using lifting blocks in the rear to make the stance change? Give you a little more ground clearance in the process.

I suppose I could do that, it just seems like going the wrong direction. I'm getting new (taller and wider than stock) tires on it this afternoon, I'll re-evaluate then. I was thinking about lowering the front because there is like 13 inches (exaggerated of course, but not much) of wheel gap up front. We'll see how it looks with the new tires, then I'll decide what I'll do. Springs are available online for $130, seems almost silly not to spend the money and do it right.

Here it as of this morning...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa79/Ron_ofthe_cars/S10withCap.jpg

I used to own one just like that. Had the same cap and everything. It was lowered though. Was supposed to be lowered with springs, but turned out they were just cut factory springs. Lowering blocks in the rear. I don't recommend the cut factory springs ... the thing rode and handled like a tractor. Mine also constantly had crap going wrong with it, so I dumped it for a huge loss and bought my Camaro, almost identical to the one in your sig. Just out of curiosity, is your stance problem because of lowering blocks on the rear springs? What is the stance with the cap off?

Anything in the back of the truck? How hard is it to remove the camper shell and then take a look at the rake? How many miles on the stock suspension? It it possible it's worn out causing the unusual rake? Usually, rear suspsension is softer from the factory, plus, add the fact it could be worn out and the extra weight of the camper and anything in the back could cause the rake, as well. Just some things to think about.

I also feel that if you're going through the labor trouble of cutting the springs, then just wait until you have the $130, do it right and save yourself some time and labor in the longrun.

I just put the shell on it this morning, $200 score off of Craigs List. The funny looking rake is the same without it. I just attributed it to the s10's running the same spring rate in the front on both the 4 and 6 cylinder models and the 4 being so much lighter won't put the front end where it should be. The truck has 139k miles, and I'm sure the rear springs are a little softer than they should be, but it seems every regular cab, 4 cylinder, short box s10 sits the same way. I don't like it, and I'm gonna change it as soon as possible.

This pic was taken yesterday, about 10 minutes after I got the title signed.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa79/Ron_ofthe_cars/S10001.jpg

Belltech drop spindles.... 2" in the front and can. Be purchased from almost any parts supplier

Not for that new :( drop spindles are only avliable up to 98, once they changed to the sealed style bearings no one offers drop spindles for them.

Oh and in order to use lifting blocks in the rear you'll first have to put the axle under the springs, just that would bring it up some. To go the other way with the rear and lower it you can just take one leaf out, the ZQ8 (sport suspension trucks) come factory with only 2 leafs and the bottom load limiting leaf they all have.

BTW there is a difference between 4cly and 6cyl springs.