Nikon vs Canon

Guest tetsuo97z28

Guest tetsuo97z28
I know there are some photographers on this board... So I wanted to get some advice about a DSLR Im looking at picking up... Its a Nikon D40x.... From the reviews that I read it seems to be a solid camera... Just wanted to see what everyone thought and the only downfall that I saw that it didnt have was an intergrated cleaning system... Wasnt sure if that was a big deal since the D40 doesnt have one built in.. But Ive seen some awesome phtography taken with the D40...

From everything that I have read about DSLR, its the lenses that make the difference, not the body.

the hardest problem with picking nikon over canon or canon over nikon is that if you have several lenses, the cost to switch to the other brand is increases with each lens.

Lenses are a long term investment as they will far outlast the camera body.

I have a Nikon D300 with 18-200 lens.

I have a 70-200 f2.8 VRII on order and will be getting the 24-70 f2.8 as well.

i use norelco. it gets a good clean shave, get it real smooth

edit: oh cameras ahh well hahahhaha

Not from what I have heard, I heard your face hasn't seen a razor or a Norelco in quite some time.

I use a Nikon D50 I got it used for cheap! that's why. The lenses are what matter for the most part, the image sensor is kinda key though.

From everything that I have read about DSLR, its the lenses that make the difference, not the body.

the hardest problem with picking nikon over canon or canon over nikon is that if you have several lenses, the cost to switch to the other brand is increases with each lens.

Lenses are a long term investment as they will far outlast the camera body.

I have a Nikon D300 with 18-200 lens.

I have a 70-200 f2.8 VRII on order and will be getting the 24-70 f2.8 as well.

That is true to some degree. However if you start with a crappy camera then the best lens in the world will not help you. I was an event photographer specializing in Drag Racing and youth sports and Cannon is the camera of choice for sports. However I think that Nikkon's produce a really sharp image. My main camera was a Cannon 5D and it was just unstopable. With a 300mm L lens I could stand well past the 60ft cones at the track and get amazingly crisp photos.

I've owned two canons. One was a $90 film point and shoot, the other was a $400 digital. Both were pieces of SHIT. Worked about a month and failed. Tech support was useless and led me on a year long maze of getting it "fixed" and being without a camera. I really lost my interest in photography due to them. At the consumer level, canon is an untrustworthy brand with shoddy build quality.

On the other hand, my Olympus is a champ, and I'm looking into stepping up to a Nikon D40

Its a long hard debate sometime. I am a Canon user all they way. In the prosumer lines I would say Nikon's technology is a little ahead of Canon right now. But depending on what you want to do with it, I would look at your lens selection. And availability of lenses is held by Canon.

Guest tetsuo97z28

True Lense selection is what matters is what I hear... from the research it appears that the 18-55 nikkor that comes with it is a good solid lense...

I figured the deal that i found on this D40x was too good to pass up... But from what I read on the camera, the sync speed is only at 1/250 with flash as opposed to going to a 1/500 sync with flash...

well.. i guess it still will be better than my Lumix TZ5 Point and Shoot ..

I've owned two canons. One was a $90 film point and shoot, the other was a $400 digital. Both were pieces of SHIT. Worked about a month and failed. Tech support was useless and led me on a year long maze of getting it "fixed" and being without a camera. I really lost my interest in photography due to them. At the consumer level, canon is an untrustworthy brand with shoddy build quality.

On the other hand, my Olympus is a champ, and I'm looking into stepping up to a Nikon D40

Sounds like you had a bad experience. i have to say I never had any problems with any of the Cannon's I owned. I paid $3000.00 for my 5D body when they first came out so that may be why too. I did have the 6mp Rebel when they first came out and I opened my photography business with that camera and it was a champ.

That is true to some degree. However if you start with a crappy camera then the best lens in the world will not help you. I was an event photographer specializing in Drag Racing and youth sports and Cannon is the camera of choice for sports. However I think that Nikkon's produce a really sharp image. My main camera was a Cannon 5D and it was just unstopable. With a 300mm L lens I could stand well past the 60ft cones at the track and get amazingly crisp photos.

You do want a good body and not a old piece of junk. I was just trying to point out that the lenses and the selection of lenses are more important.

I'm gonna be the first to say that the D40 is getting old and that there are lots of newer better bodies. hehe even Nikons older pro bodies are much better. Nikons just milking sales of the D40 because it has been a nice camera.

Also everyones right though the lens is much more important than the camera. Buy an expensive lens and don't believe everything you hear about the 18-200 nikon makes. Sure its got a lot of range, but for the price you could almost get 2 non Nikon lenses (sigma or tokina) and some of them are as good as canon and nikon pro lenses.

In my photography business I shoot canon, but thats simply a choice either brands will get the job done.

One last note, right now canon and nikon are putting out upgrades to lots of their bodies so If I were you I wouldn't buy one brand new. I'd get a used body and it should be cheap. If your set on a D40 it shouldn't be more than $200 or your getting ripped off.

Its not the camera its the operator.

Very true, I saw that cheap camera statement and thought... Ive seen some damn nice photos with damn cheap cameras.

D40 bodies are in the 200-300 range right now. If your looking into buying digital, I sell you some of my older Canon gear. I can put a kit together for you pretty damn cheap.