2-stroke GP bikes

wolfman

Thinking about picking one up for track days and hopefully some racing eventually....

Anybody have experience with them?

Should I only be looking at 125cc? or is 250cc okay to start out on?

I've been looking at 95-00 RS125..

Edited by wolfman

dont forget me fags...I've been keepin' my eye on the 125's on the wera boards. But I might go the route of a 150r swapped rs125.

We don't want to play with you! :lol: J/k....you can come, too. I'll need an umbrella girl.:D

How bout a 250 4s swapped in?

Watch which one you pick. 125s are not for us traditional weight and sized riders... Rookie Cup riders are perfect sized for 125s. The KTMs are the cat's meow.

For the rest, I would go for a 250. If you want to do the 4 stroke in a 125 chassis, it is a 250 4 stroke - not a 150...

Some guys are converting 450 MX motors and putting them into 250 chassis. THTA would be a HOOOOOOT!

I'd consider a 250, though unless you are Kevin Swantz and can carry STOOOPID corner speed. He was doing :38s at Mid-Ohio and he is over 6' tall and over 160lbs...

My friend and teammate races RS125's... he has a nice one that he races with USGPRU, AHRMA, WERA, and CCS..

It is a fun bike to ride.. but I'm 5'8 and 165, so it fits me good, and my friend is about the same weight as I am and he fits on it good too.

If I had some extra cash, I'd get one and start racing one as well.

DSC00025.jpg

DSCF8430.JPG

Watch which one you pick. 125s are not for us traditional weight and sized riders... Rookie Cup riders are perfect sized for 125s. The KTMs are the cat's meow.

For the rest, I would go for a 250. If you want to do the 4 stroke in a 125 chassis, it is a 250 4 stroke - not a 150...

Some guys are converting 450 MX motors and putting them into 250 chassis. THTA would be a HOOOOOOT!

I'd consider a 250, though unless you are Kevin Swantz and can carry STOOOPID corner speed. He was doing :38s at Mid-Ohio and he is over 6' tall and over 160lbs...

I'm 5'11" 145lbs.... :dunno: I'm hoping a 125 would be ok with extended rearsets and a longer subframe. :dunno:

That's why I'm interested in a 125 though...I want to learn how to carry stooopid corner speed! :D

My friend and teammate races RS125's... he has a nice one that he races with USGPRU, AHRMA, WERA, and CCS..

It is a fun bike to ride.. but I'm 5'8 and 165, so it fits me good, and my friend is about the same weight as I am and he fits on it good too.

If I had some extra cash, I'd get one and start racing one as well.

DSC00025.jpg

DSCF8430.JPG

:drool: I want one...bad!

I can get you a KTM 125 that was raced in the Red bull rookies cup,still about 15 left for sale but the price is scary @ 16k

Thanks...but that's waaaay out of my price range at the moment! I was checking out new Honda RS125s and they are going for $14k and the new 250's are going for $25k...:eek: Those are some expensive 2-strokes!

I'll be looking for used most definitely! haha

Its all about corner speed with these bikes... it will teach ya that, and make ya a better 600 or 1k bike rider on the track! Believe me!!! You can't use your power to get ya out of a mistake! Look at all the fast racers, most of them had some kind of 2 stroke or smaller racebike experience before going to the big bikes

i believe you for sure!!! i raced single geared karts for 2 or 3 years i understand the corner speed deal, but for me its just more logical to go with the 600 for a trackbike/racebike.

I agree, but the price it'll cost you repairing a 600 and racing it, compared to a 125 or even an NSR is quite big from what i understand.

Aaron hit it right on the head... 600cc bike is around 330lbs (give or take a few) and a RS125 and NSR are around 160lbs (give or take a few), less weight = less damage when crashed, tires don't need changed as much and don't cost as much as a big bikes tires, etc...

Don't get me wrong... racing a 125 or 250gp bike is still expensive, but I would have to say not as much as racing a bigger bike (600cc or more). Only down side to racing a 2stroke bike, is maintenance... there is a lot of maintenance with them in order to keep them going fast. Every little bit of power helps with those bikes!