CTS-v Help

AngryBMW

old body had weak rear diffs that would blow apart because of wheel hop. they also don't handle alot of power very well.

that said, ashley has a 04' V and loves it and we haven't had the slightest bit of trouble with it. LS6 FTW.

I was hoping you would chime in.

I am looking at an '04 and an '05. I heard about the rear diff issues and thought it was not the actual diff but the bearings (or something; I'm hungover) and could be corrected for a few hundred bucks? Can you elaborate?

Other than that I havent heard of anyother real issues which is why I'm asking here.

In real life driving (not manufacturer estimate) what kind of gas milage do you guys see?

the cts and the cts-v have bad rears... And we just replaced a rear diff on a cts with 59k and about to replace one on a cts-v we just got and it has 60k... seems pretty consitant so check that out when you look at the car also..

I drove the v and It was nice. AND ls6 ftw

My buddy has one and we have gone back and forth about the 2004 ish V and the early 2000 M5. With you having a 540, what is it you are looking for in a V that you will not find in an M5? The price point is about the same. If you aren't looking to mod it, why the switch from BMW?

On the V side of things. I've riden in my buddys several times now. Holy shit, what an over all fun car.

no its the diff. as a whole. Andrew on here (lusterbert or something along those lines) blew his into many pieces shifting into second gear.

you can get traction bars to help but there isn't much out there, ashleys has a 06' diff in it because they are suposed to be stronger. normal street driving its fine but when she autocrosses it it will drip a drop or two of gear oil.

we tuned her's, she gets close to 30mpg on the freeway and stock she was getting around 26ish. she has just over 50k and just recently took it on a long road trip and it never gave her a problem.

The rear end issues like others said. I took mine to the strip once and took it easy. It's my run around town car, so I really don't abuse the rear end with super sticky tires or drag racing...so I'm sure it will be fine. When you feel it wheel hop, let out

30mpg's is incredible ^

I get about 24-25 highway (driving 80), and about 16/17 around town. Mine could use a tune, as it's got a couple of bolt ons with no tune.

Fun factor is huge with the car, it gets more looks and praises than my C5. It's comforatble, all options are standard ..HID's, Nav, 6spd, auto climate, heated seats etc. The only actual option you can get is a moonroof (mine has it, and it's always open). I think it's easier to handle at the limit than my C5 too. It's more predictable. I love it and will only reaplace it with a gen2 in the future. Oh, and the brakes are just awesome! 14.4" rotors on the REAR lol

It's nice that is uses the LS2 or LS6 (LS6 in mine) so modding it is super easy

I think it's easier to handle at the limit than my C5 too. It's more predictable. I love it and will only reaplace it with a gen2 in the future. Oh, and the brakes are just awesome! 14.4" rotors on the REAR lol

i would have to disagree with the handling and brakes part to a point. since we have both and i've raced both on an autocross track. the V's brakes suck, ABS kicks in so easy and its hard to tell what the car is going to do in turns. the vette i know just what its going to do everywhere.

i haven't taken the V on a road track and chances are never will but i know the brakes are way better on the street from higher speeds than slower speeds and brakes just as well as the vette all be it a longer distance because of the weight.

high speed my vette is as more stable than the V IMHO.

Part of the diff issue is the design, and then the front bushing the diff, which holds the pinon angle. This bushing is garbage, and causes the pinion angle to change often under wheel hop or acceleration. BMR makes the following that I would buy if your going to get one :)

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-V/PS001installed.jpg

Right from BMR :)

"

The differential is mounted to the rear cradle by soft rubber bushings. There are two bushings in the rear and only one in the front. This front bushing is responsible for maintaining pinion angle which is critical for u-joint life, launch consistency, and overall driveline efficiency.

By simply releasing the clutch at idle with the brake on, the stock, unsupported pinion measures up to 2 degrees of deflection. Aggressive driving loads this bushing significantly more allowing up to 4 degrees of pinion deflection before the OE bushing "bottoms out".

Our Pinion Support adds a low deflection polyurethane bushing to the front mount and reduces deflection to almost zero off idle. The result is immediately noticeable as it removes the "spongy" feel noticeable off idle and decreases the audible "thunk" heard when the OE bushing bottoms out."

Then add the anti wheep hop kit for insurance :)

Regards

i would have to disagree with the handling and brakes part to a point. since we have both and i've raced both on an autocross track. the V's brakes suck, ABS kicks in so easy and its hard to tell what the car is going to do in turns. the vette i know just what its going to do everywhere.

i haven't taken the V on a road track and chances are never will but i know the brakes are way better on the street from higher speeds than slower speeds and brakes just as well as the vette all be it a longer distance because of the weight.

high speed my vette is as more stable than the V IMHO.

I've autocrossed both too. I don't have a Z06, but my C5 has firmer bilsteins added and the rest is stock. I just think the V feels more controlable ...especially in a power slide or something. But then again, my Vette is around 400whp and a lot more powerfull and I suck at driving in that situation lol. It easily overwhelms the tires. I have never done any open tracking events only autocross. When I can hit the brakes at 140mph and it just stops with no drama, thats impressive to me. Not that my vette doesn't do the same. High speed stability is great...I know my vette is more solid though. It weighs 800lbs less. I've had the Vette to 180, and the V to 150

I actually ran the V at a local BMW club autocross last month and finished 5th out of 42 cars (beat M5's, M3's, M coupes, Mini's). The only cars ahead of me were setup for AutoX; suspension work, Rcomps, etc. Most of those other people have little autocross experience though. I've had a Mini and BMW in the past, so this year having no BMW they still let me run my "current" car ...the people running the event know me. They weren't expecting a Caddy to run like that ;)

Right from BMR :)

"

The differential is mounted to the rear cradle by soft rubber bushings. There are two bushings in the rear and only one in the front. This front bushing is responsible for maintaining pinion angle which is critical for u-joint life, launch consistency, and overall driveline efficiency.

By simply releasing the clutch at idle with the brake on, the stock, unsupported pinion measures up to 2 degrees of deflection. Aggressive driving loads this bushing significantly more allowing up to 4 degrees of pinion deflection before the OE bushing "bottoms out".

Our Pinion Support adds a low deflection polyurethane bushing to the front mount and reduces deflection to almost zero off idle. The result is immediately noticeable as it removes the "spongy" feel noticeable off idle and decreases the audible "thunk" heard when the OE bushing bottoms out."

Then add the anti wheep hop kit for insurance :)

Regards

It amazes me that you have to buy aftermarket parts to fix an engineering flaw on a company's flagship car. I take it there's no recall on this? TSB?

It amazes me that you have to buy aftermarket parts to fix an engineering flaw on a company's flagship car. I take it there's no recall on this? TSB?

I know that if there is a problem (under warranty), they upgrade the pre 06 cars to the new differential design (06+). Don't think there is a recall.

I've autocrossed both too. I don't have a Z06, but my C5 has firmer bilsteins added and the rest is stock. I just think the V feels more controlable ...especially in a power slide or something. But then again, my Vette is around 400whp and a lot more powerfull and I suck at driving in that situation lol. It easily overwhelms the tires. I have never done any open tracking events only autocross. When I can hit the brakes at 140mph and it just stops with no drama, thats impressive to me. Not that my vette doesn't do the same. High speed stability is great...I know my vette is more solid though. It weighs 800lbs less. I've had the Vette to 180, and the V to 150

I actually ran the V at a local BMW club autocross last month and finished 5th out of 42 cars (beat M5's, M3's, M coupes, Mini's). The only cars ahead of me were setup for AutoX; suspension work, Rcomps, etc. Most of those other people have little autocross experience though. I've had a Mini and BMW in the past, so this year having no BMW they still let me run my "current" car ...the people running the event know me. They weren't expecting a Caddy to run like that ;)

my vette is 400rw also, i love the power slide on demand via right foot;)

were you at the fun event last year at cooper in your v? there was a silver one that showed up. were going to have to do something about the vette, we can't be having a tank handle better than it now can we:)

I didn't say the V handles better than the C5...thats just not true. The V is just more driver friendly to me. It's "easier" lol

The Vette would leave it for dead on a track, a small track would simply require someone better than me haha. I took both my old 3 series and C5 to the BMW club autoX last year; drove both cars same day, and was faster in the 3 series. Granted, it was a really tight slow speed track ...

I have not been to any AutoX's in Columbus, only Indy.

Edited by BlackBoosted2